Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Will Hewland

I hear Myers hit 116 at Coleys, beating what I thought was an unmatchable 115 from RF. I gather MM hit 8/8 on stand 7 where a target was put on for everybody to just waste lead. WTF? I give up. Amazing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

I hear Myers hit 116 at Coleys, beating what I thought was an unmatchable 115 from RF. I gather MM hit 8/8 on stand 7 where a target was put on for everybody to just waste lead. WTF? I give up. Amazing. 

Brilliant comment “just to waste lead” it was an extreme target, yet it was proved that it could be broken.

Martin is a phenomenal shooter and a very nice guy, congratulations are in order 👏👏👏

• Like 4

No one on our squad hit that target  apart from Phil, missed the first two, then found it and smacked them both in the middle, came off with a 6 but I would imagine there’s a lot of shooters still scratching their heads!  Good shooting from Mr Myers indeed 👏👏

• Thanks 1

Redrick today for the first time. Was chatting to someone earlier in the week who said the targets there are soft. Bugger me, if today was soft I dread to think what a hard set up is like! Springs wound up and a lot of speed on most of the targets. Stands 6 and 11 did me over, but towards the end I dropped loads of others I shouldn't have, including several random pairs. Think fatigue had set in, my concentration was certainly shot by that stage. Finished on 65, worst score for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bebo said:

Redrick today for the first time. Was chatting to someone earlier in the week who said the targets there are soft. Bugger me, if today was soft I dread to think what a hard set up is like! Springs wound up and a lot of speed on most of the targets. Stands 6 and 11 did me over, but towards the end I dropped loads of others I shouldn't have, including several random pairs. Think fatigue had set in, my concentration was certainly shot by that stage. Finished on 65, worst score for a while.

Bebo, Phil and I shot there 4 weeks ago and it certainly wasn’t soft!  I struggled on the close whizzy stuff and had my worst score for a long time too, but I enjoyed it, Phil Moss knows how to set a shoot up that’s for sure.  
Barrow for us, wasn’t an option to do both as I was having my second jab at 3 this afternoon.  Again, a cracking shoot, some close followed by some long and a fair few sim pairs.  Started really well, stand 5 cost me dearly, first in and struggled to see the targets if I’m honest, then I changed my lenses and went on my way quite well again until stand 9 which was a sim pair of 5 and only hit 3 of them and hardly saw anyone hit the 2nd target. Finished on a 75 which I was fairly pleased with as it wasn’t easy and the local lads we were squadded with were good shooters and they felt it was a bit on the harder side than normal.  Still enjoyed it though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bebo said:

I went to the first Redricks shoot months ago and it was quite soft. Clearly, Phil Moss has opened more stands and developed the shoot. This one today was firm as was the one I did a month ago. My mate was saying it was a bit too tough today. I actually thought it was very good but doesn’t need to be any harder for wide appeal. I’ve been on form just lately and managed a 90 today but had to work hard for it and some of my kills weren’t exactly impressive. 😀 I didn’t have any “silly” misses, I was beaten by every one I missed. 

• Like 3

Shot a round of practise at Orston today. Luckily they had left virtually the full round on from the classic which was really good for me as I shot it reasonably badly in places last week.

Had 4 or 5 birds that I never touched one of so had the chance to experiment with technique and right a few wrongs. Found out that on two birds my lead was right but line was way off, another couple the lead was too much and nowhere near enough but line was good.

Really useful morning and got the chance to watch some of the English open compaq there as well.

92 at Owls Lodge yesterday, good course again with a few sim-pairs (5 I think) and 88 at Willoughby Hedge this morning.  

That was a more awkward shoot with clays on the first four stands being a bit of an eyesight test; some I hit and didn't even know.  I shot 50 straight stands 5-9 though.

Both scores enough for class wins but both days I missed 3 on each stand, something I need to deal better with mentally, I think I'm going in knowing that I'm on a good score and just being way too careful.

• Like 4

Not been out for a while, work though took me to within era er no within gunshot of Barbury so too good a chance to miss and shot todays Sportrap shot with usual bunch of chums plus saw many others also. Now have always felt Barbury do put on a test, and the break clearly hadn't improved my shooting! As always can think of one / two (or plenty) that escaped my pattern, did though hit enough of the awkward stuff and a fair few simos to bring a smile. None of the squad thought we had shot well / done the layouts justice that said it looked to be a low scoring event judging by the scores when I left, mind you some superstars still to shoot who will probably see what I thought were exocet dots as bin-lids. Few weeks ago the place was awash with heavy rain & mud, today it looked almost pristine and as well as the reg the social shooters were there in abundance, the place looks to be thriving which is a big positive for clay shooting in this area. 

• Like 2

Out again, Oxfordshire, did not feel as busy as last time there, found plenty of space in car park which was overflowing last time there. One of the few places you can get a hot drink in a "proper" mug not a paper or plastic / polystyrene poor substitute, was early enough to see and have chance of a pleasant and amusing chin wag with a few before our start. Our merry gang was just a three, as was the squad in front and from start to end we shot it in just shy of hour & a quarter, still have plenty of cobwebs & was rather poor on too many stands, yes hit everything but not consistently enough. Yes the wind did pick up and probably affected a few targets, still should have done better though, one of our squad finished on 91 which he was pleased with, even more so when he was told he was leading the shoot, that said some star AAAs where munching big slices of cake whilst awaiting a start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlawsterCodger said:

Out again, Oxfordshire, did not feel as busy as last time there, found plenty of space in car park which was overflowing last time there. One of the few places you can get a hot drink in a "proper" mug not a paper or plastic / polystyrene poor substitute, was early enough to see and have chance of a pleasant and amusing chin wag with a few before our start. Our merry gang was just a three, as was the squad in front and from start to end we shot it in just shy of hour & a quarter, still have plenty of cobwebs & was rather poor on too many stands, yes hit everything but not consistently enough. Yes the wind did pick up and probably affected a few targets, still should have done better though, one of our squad finished on 91 which he was pleased with, even more so when he was told he was leading the shoot, that said some star AAAs where munching big slices of cake whilst awaiting a start.

Nice to see you briefly! It was their best course I’ve done there I would say. It used to be a bit easy, then last month they just overreacted by making half of it vicious sim pairs. (Might have hurt the entry for this month..). Today was wind affected in places but otherwise had some good firm targets mixed in regardless. 10 stands again, which I think they really want to make 11 or 12 now. 

I really missed a few easy ones by being too careful and a few on last pair which 5 pairs doesn’t help, but managed a 91. That won’t win it for sure though as you suggest. I was very pleased to see my mates young daughter hit a PB of 83 as she has really got her act together and smoothed it all out after me nagging her for two years. Another happy round for a chap I coached last Monday who has been stuck in low 50s of late. Bad start but managed 67. Nice start to the weekend.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another reasonably consistent weekend behind the gun.

86 at Ham Cross yesterday, my first visit and a very impressive bit of ground with a nice mix of targets.  Just took my eye off the ball a few times, missed one or two on most stands.  Bit unlucky with lots of no-birds on stands 8 & 10, probably cost me a couple on each.

Gunsite this morning, felt a bit tougher than the last one he put on and was enjoyable.  Was glad to be out early there as it got very hot very quickly and I battled my way through the last few stands, could feel the energy evaporating from me and struggled to keep my timing and concentration but still finished on 88.

Should have worn a cartridge pouch, the extra layer of the vest doesn't help, I also need to stop counting how many away I am.

• Like 3

Honesberie for me. White hat, lots of cold water, finding shade when I could. It’s usually really fast to get round but lots of trap troubles today so it took 1.75 hours, still OK..

I thought it was a bit gentle today. One good battue in the field, but everything else was easy to medium. I kicked myself for three simple targets missed, plus I missed the first long battue behind. I predict some very high scores as it’s not usually short of the AAA brigade. I hope that if they decide it was a bit easy that the next shoot doesn’t become gruelling. So often, grounds overdo a correction. Three stands can shape a shoot, it doesn’t need to be 10 or 12. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Honesberie for me. White hat, lots of cold water, finding shade when I could. It’s usually really fast to get round but lots of trap troubles today so it took 1.75 hours, still OK..

I thought it was a bit gentle today. One good battue in the field, but everything else was easy to medium. I kicked myself for three simple targets missed, plus I missed the first long battue behind. I predict some very high scores as it’s not usually short of the AAA brigade. I hope that if they decide it was a bit easy that the next shoot doesn’t become gruelling. So often, grounds overdo a correction. Three stands can shape a shoot, it doesn’t need to be 10 or 12. 

It was good to see you again, Will.

The shoot felt normal and well balanced but maybe the lower field was missing a big target? You're right in the sense that it's a gentle balance! The battue on the right of the lower field was a good target, but maybe one more of that level would have made the difference. 

I'll put my hands up and say I don't mind if it was on the easier side (even though you still have to hit them all). It felt good to be breaking some clays again with some consistency after a run of poor form and an evaporation of confidence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doug Pinnegar said:

It was good to see you again, Will.

The shoot felt normal and well balanced but maybe the lower field was missing a big target? You're right in the sense that it's a gentle balance! The battue on the right of the lower field was a good target, but maybe one more of that level would have made the difference. 

I'll put my hands up and say I don't mind if it was on the easier side (even though you still have to hit them all). It felt good to be breaking some clays again with some consistency after a run of poor form and an evaporation of confidence. 

Totally agree. One or two big bigger targets is all it needed. But 27% of the entry on 90 or more does need a tweak. 

• Like 2

For information, my booking for this weekend, 20th June at Widdington was cancelled, the shoot is cancelled for the second time this season, what is going on?

1 hour ago, Martinj said:

For information, my booking for this weekend, 20th June at Widdington was cancelled, the shoot is cancelled for the second time this season, what is going on?

Rumours are that Jeremy is rapidly losing interest in it, both the clay and game side. Not that he has ever had that much interest in the clay side anyway. What with the dwindling numbers of entries its hardly surprising. We've not bothered to try and book since the first one was cancelled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiptop said:

Rumours are that Jeremy is rapidly losing interest in it, both the clay and game side. Not that he has ever had that much interest in the clay side anyway. What with the dwindling numbers of entries its hardly surprising. We've not bothered to try and book since the first one was cancelled.

Attended ( I won't say shot as I was really dire on both ) the first two shoots there in 2020, the girls / ladies in the office & kitchen were very hard working and really did try to make the events as pleasant as possible, I did not feel that the ground staff had the same, er attitude. The shoots, both of which were quite stiff suffered numerous breakdowns, and although first squad out awaited batteries being replaced seemingly every other stand, & as for the no-birds galore, we all got through lots of cartridges. With squadding, breakdowns bring bottlenecks / delays etc. It is without doubt a wonderful setting, however I didn't & won't return, oh yes feel I shot them badly, did though have winnings at the first, my badly shot wasn't matched in class by many, and that's another reason for entries diving, trying to beat up the AAAs & AAs has a cumulative effect on As Bs & the Cs. With a lot of superstars around it must be a very difficult job to set a fair balance a course these days, they just got it wrong and didn't seem to learn / or change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GlawsterCodger said:

Attended ( I won't say shot as I was really dire on both ) the first two shoots there in 2020, the girls / ladies in the office & kitchen were very hard working and really did try to make the events as pleasant as possible, I did not feel that the ground staff had the same, er attitude. The shoots, both of which were quite stiff suffered numerous breakdowns, and although first squad out awaited batteries being replaced seemingly every other stand, & as for the no-birds galore, we all got through lots of cartridges. With squadding, breakdowns bring bottlenecks / delays etc. It is without doubt a wonderful setting, however I didn't & won't return, oh yes feel I shot them badly, did though have winnings at the first, my badly shot wasn't matched in class by many, and that's another reason for entries diving, trying to beat up the AAAs & AAs has a cumulative effect on As Bs & the Cs. With a lot of superstars around it must be a very difficult job to set a fair balance a course these days, they just got it wrong and didn't seem to learn / or change. 

I did a couple last year, gave them the benefit of the doubt first time but the debacle of the second shoot was the last straw for me; no-birds all the way round, and poor targets; I remember one under-powered downhill rabbit coming toward you edge on.

Ive shot registered there since I started shooting seriously and was great when Sean Ponting set it but even then it was terrible for no birds but at least the targets were good.  

With the terrain it should be somewhere that should be packed but they've shot themselves in the foot, all it needs is some better trap maintenance (which Sean constantly told them) and someone to set the targets and it would be good.

• Like 3

Westfields shoot today (Wednesday) was cancelled, no notification and I only found out when I sent a text asking about card payments. 😟😟

1 hour ago, wynno said:

Westfields shoot today (Wednesday) was cancelled, no notification and I only found out when I sent a text asking about card payments. 😟😟

As is their shoot on Thursday 24th June at Garlands, according to their website.

8 hours ago, tiptop said:

As is their shoot on Thursday 24th June at Garlands, according to their website.

And then they moan when those who are booked in don’t turn up……. It works both  ways

Hi Wynn

i had to cancel both mid week shoots as I’m in hospital this time next week and have too much to sort out before I go in 

sorry for any inconvenience caused , we will be back doing week day shoots in July 

many thanks Steve 

• Like 3

On 6/15/2021 at 9:10 PM, bisondan said:

I did a couple last year, gave them the benefit of the doubt first time but the debacle of the second shoot was the last straw for me; no-birds all the way round, and poor targets; I remember one under-powered downhill rabbit coming toward you edge on.

Ive shot registered there since I started shooting seriously and was great when Sean Ponting set it but even then it was terrible for no birds but at least the targets were good.  

With the terrain it should be somewhere that should be packed but they've shot themselves in the foot, all it needs is some better trap maintenance (which Sean constantly told them) and someone to set the targets and it would be good.

I agree with the comments re batteries and trap breakdowns/reliability, no birds etc. from the couple of times I have shot there. The fact remains that the site has huge potential and it would be a great loss to us all if it fizzled out, all it needs is some TLC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1