Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Will Hewland

Meadowcroft today, pleasant morning but I didn't shoot very well. 

Bit annoyed that they don't change the targets down there, most of it today was the same as it was last time, most stands had at least one target that was the same, 5 were identical.  

Felt a bit cheated out of £40.

• Sad 1

Three shoots this week.

Started with Churchill's on Thursday.  Dropped the first pair on a soft first stand trying to take them early and going in front.  Slowed down, shot them later and hit the rest.  A few daft misses on the next few stands before I started to do a bit better and finally managed to straight a few.  Dropped 3 on the sim drivens at the end (hate sims and driven targets) to finish on 81.

Friday was Kibworth.  Another good day for me.  Was only 3 targets away after 5 stands.  Stand 6 was a report pair of crossers off the tower, springs wound up.  Could have been a card destroyer, but after missing the first pair I managed to hit four of them.  Double decker bus sized lead needed.  Managed to drop 8 over the last three stands I shot, otherwise it would have been an exceptionally good score for me rather than just a good one.  83 for joint lady high gun and joint 3rd in B.

Today was Sporting Targets.  Another good start, straighted 3 of the first 7 stands and only 7 away at that point.  It got a lot tougher for me on the last 6 stands, with a sim pair of left to rights (5 away) and a sim pair of driven to finish (4 away).  Looks like the scores were on the low side with only 1 score over 90 and my 73 was joint 5th in B.

• Like 1

Barrow for us today, good shoot and we got absolutely soaked through on last few stands, actually got to the ladies and had to wring my T-shirt out!  I took photos of our cards as I usually do but they didn’t come out, maybe due to my wet hands but looking at scores on CPSA weve been downgraded!  Phil though he had 85 and is down as 81, I thought I had 75 down as 73 and I know we followed one person round and on stands we saw him shoot he dropped at least 10 and is scored a lot higher then that 😳😳.  Must make sure the photos come out properly before I hand the cards in next time.  

We then used up one of our nine lives on way home, some absolute tw*t pulled straight out from the slip road to the fast lane and nearly took us out, how we didn’t go through the central reservation trying to avoid him I don’t know.  It really was one of them “this is it” moments.  Thankfully we avoided him and he drove off totally unaware of the near accident he had caused. 

Westfields next week for the 200 birder. Never been there before so looking forward to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We went to Court farm yesterday, it was with some trepidation because the weather forecast was bad and I'd seen negative comments about Gatton bottom (the sister shoot) last week.

I think it was still on the firm side (HG was 90) but no trick shooting was required and the rain held off until we had finished around 1:pm.

I say no trick shots but stand 1 had the usual right to left rabbit followed by a quartering away white clay against a white sky - not the best colour combination but we hit them all.

Moving along to stand 3 this was a FAST R/L crosser followed by an incomer launched from 100yards out in front and dropping 40 yards out on the other side of the hedge, I hit most about 70 yards out before they started to drop, relying on 1/2 choke and FBlues.

About stand 5? was a tricky fast RH quartering away over the hedge followed immediately by a faster midi on the same trajectory, instinctive swing through shooting was the order of the day before they hit the trees or disappeared out of sight.

The corner stand provided a fast, knee high, incoming target heading up hill from the hedge, passing 5 yards to the right followed by a similar target from a different trap further down the hedge.

2 stands up the hill there was a sim pair coming from 30 yards down hill to the left and curling out in front, you couldn't see them until they were against the sky and this cost me 3 clays.

The remaining stands were about par for the course. I thought it was an enjoyable course and left on 88

Edited by Martinj
clarity
  • Like 2

Worth mentioning the Barbury esp registered shoot I went to today. 

It’s a ground I have only been to a handful of times, mainly as there are nearer grounds who have historically done regular registered shoots. It’s also because on the few occasions I have been, I have struggled and never really clicked with the place. Lately though, it’s a different prospect with their huge investment into the superb clubhouse building, with great shop, great cafe, nice loos and more. They are doing regular shoots and the difficulty level is just right I would say. Lots of interest and variety, some good longer targets and technical ones to catch you out, but all presented well. 

I had two terrible stands today, dropping 8 on those two alone, mainly involving overleading (I’m pretty sure) on some stuff that wasn’t as far out as it looked. A bit of unfamiliarity with the terrain I hope to conquer next time. Shot the rest well enough finishing on 89. Enjoyed it, even with the frustration. Already booked in for next month. 

• Like 5

I always enjoy shooting at Barbury Will, it’s a long way for us but try to make the effort several times a year and it never fails.  Like you say, club house and facilities excellent and targets really good and catch you out.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

It’s also because on the few occasions I have been, I have struggled and never really clicked with the place.

My sentiments too Will, perhaps it's time for another visit

• Like 1

Been a couple of times this year and I like the place. Superb facility. They must be careful with the visibility of targets on the early stands with trees as background.  Hard to pick up and some strobing going on when we went.  And in the butts in the top field the targets must be FULLY visible for short folk. Simple things to put right that will enhance everyone's enjoyment. Would like to see some more weekend shoots if possible. 

Jasper

Edited by jasper
  • Like 2

AGL today. A good course with a few pretty testing stands. A big factor was very bright sun everywhere which made clays look fast and small, with a few difficult to pick up as they came from the sun.

I was going fairly well with only one grade A stupid miss on an easy one to kick myself for, among a few more that got away of course. The last stand was fairly nasty, with a fast high distant orange looper going away, followed by a very high l-r. I was very happy to hit 7 of the first 8, then missed the last pair. 😤🤪. Not unhappy with a 91, I didn’t think it was their easiest round. Turns out that put me in 2nd  

Most irritating part of the day was the petrol station nearby. I blame our news organisations for scare-mongering and exaggeration (of what they admit is about a 10% delivery issue of just some companies) forcing everybody to panic buy fuel, which creates an actual problem. The garage by AGL is usually cheap, about 133p for diesel. This morning it was £141p and when I left the shoot is was 150p with a queue. FFS..

• Like 4

AGL for me too.  Good to see you Will and thanks for keeping an eye on my colleague and his wife.

It wan't an easy shoot, by any means, but I'm annoyed with myself for dropping at least 6 soft targets early on- giving them a little lead when none at all was required.  Also a few brain farts at the end.  Got myself worked up that the rabbits were really quick and decided to hold further back on them, missed the first pair as a result.  Slowed myself down and was in the middle of all the rest of them.  Hit the first two pairs on 12, thought about straighting it to retrieve a score somewhere near my average and promptly missed the next pair!  72, which was around middle in B.  Not a disaster, but not the best.

Edit to add - that queue at the petrol station was mad.  Was all the way back to the M1 by the time I went past it.

Edited by Bebo
  • Like 1

Hangman's stone was an interesting shoot with some nice weather to boot.

You could say it was a game of two halves, I was doing OK, straighting five stands and losing eight over another five stands but there were two stands which were a real wake up call and cost me over half my losses, No. 5 (4 pairs) started with a ballistic L to R battue fired off somewhere over Wiltshire with a slow easy crosser to follow, I never did connect with the Battue and dropped one of the easy crossers, probably out of frustration, so that was five away.

Stand 10, 5 pairs, I should have done better, it was a slow easy quartering L to R incomer followed by a fast R to L midi looper at about 45 yards, I missed 4 of the loopers. Although they were fast I'd probably hit them on another day and have no-one but myself to blame.

I stopped by the pool shoot to see RF hit all 15, (three on each of five stands,) I'm sure I shot less than half that! As he straighted it he had to go round again adding to his score, not sure what the final count was but it was a pleasure to watch someone who can shoot those difficult targets. The first I saw him miss was on the 5th stand second time around.

All in all an enjoyable shoot

• Thanks 1

Highwaymans for me today for national intercounties. What a course, some proper targets on show today, small gaps, big gaps, huge gaps, technical, tricky, the course had it all. Set off well, bit of a middle blip and finished well for an 84 and joint 3rd in A. Dropped maybe 6 dollies but shot some of the harder stuff better than expected so can't grumble. Not seen as many targets at 40,50 and 60 yards plus at a shoot for quite a while.

IMG_20210926_195710_435.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chippy said:

Highwaymans for me also. It's normally a good round there but this one was great. A bit disappointed to miss all the long battues but happy with 86.

I got my first and last battue on stand 7, found it wanted a fair old gap. Missed my middle 2 underneath, needed quite a flat line. I was seeing around 10 feet on it.

Edited by Jonny English

Shame my county didn't enter a team for this. Prob wouldn't have made the team mind. I'm not in the clique. 

Jasper. 

Edited by jasper
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Martinj said:

Hangman's stone was an interesting shoot with some nice weather to boot.

You could say it was a game of two halves, I was doing OK, straighting five stands and losing eight over another five stands but there were two stands which were a real wake up call and cost me over half my losses, No. 5 (4 pairs) started with a ballistic L to R battue fired off somewhere over Wiltshire with a slow easy crosser to follow, I never did connect with the Battue and dropped one of the easy crossers, probably out of frustration, so that was five away.

Stand 10, 5 pairs, I should have done better, it was a slow easy quartering L to R incomer followed by a fast R to L midi looper at about 45 yards, I missed 4 of the loopers. Although they were fast I'd probably hit them on another day and have no-one but myself to blame.

I stopped by the pool shoot to see RF hit all 15, (three on each of five stands,) I'm sure I shot less than half that! As he straighted it he had to go round again adding to his score, not sure what the final count was but it was a pleasure to watch someone who can shoot those difficult targets. The first I saw him miss was on the 5th stand second time around.

All in all an enjoyable shoot

That battue was funny as it never really opened up, and it was actually slightly quartering in, I missed the first 2 way in front then cut right back to 4-5 foot and hit the last 2. Midi on stand 10 was only about 20-25 yards.

I did ok, an even 90 after missing very first trap bird on stand 1, two of the first rabbits on 2, and the first floppy incomer on 4.

Shot Owls Lodge Saturday as well, 89 and 25 straight on the pool shoot.

• Like 1

Kibworth for me today. Last time I'll be up this way for a Reg shoot until next year. Straighted the sim pairs, hit 2 from 3 off tower and 5 of the 6 driven targets, all of which meant it was a very good day for me. Had a liitle wobble on Stand 13 (11th stand our squad shot), where I held on a bit to a couple of 70mm targets, missing in front as they slowed. Finished on 88. Shame I went targets only as I was 6 in front of the next shooter in B.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Back to earth with a bump. Redricks today.  Stands 4, 8 and 11 destroyed any chance of getting near my average. Stand 4 was a low orange rl sim with a crow. Crow must have been at least 50 yards and was being pushed back by the breeze when dropping. 5/10, dropped one crosser and hit one crow. Stand 8 was a lr 70mm and a rl crosser, didn't find the second bird once. Stand 11 a sim pair of lr crossers, one of which was a midi. Hit the standard three times, never touched the midi. 17 away on those 3 stands alone.

Edited by Bebo
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Bebo said:

Back to earth with a bump. Redricks today.  Stands 3, 8 and 11 destroyed any chance of getting near my average. Stand 3 was a low orange rl sim with a crow. Crow must have been at least 50 yards and was being pushed back by the breeze when dropping. 5/10, dropped one crosser and hit one crow. Stand 8 was a lr 70mm and a rl crosser, didn't find the second bird once. Stand 11 a sim pair of lr crossers, one of which was a midi. Hit the standard three times, never touched the midi. 17 away on those 3 stands alone.

Wind was always going to be problematic today - but it was forecast. Certainly caused a few misses at Longridge where I was reffing.

Still, onwards and upwards as the saying goes. Life's too short to fret over a bad day shooting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bebo said:

Back to earth with a bump. Redricks today.  Stands 4, 8 and 11 destroyed any chance of getting near my average. Stand 4 was a low orange rl sim with a crow. Crow must have been at least 50 yards and was being pushed back by the breeze when dropping. 5/10, dropped one crosser and hit one crow. Stand 8 was a lr 70mm and a rl crosser, didn't find the second bird once. Stand 11 a sim pair of lr crossers, one of which was a midi. Hit the standard three times, never touched the midi. 17 away on those 3 stands alone

Redricks for me also first time there. I struggled on the same stands as you hit 7 on stand 3. 4 on stand 8 and 5 on stand 11. But stand 12 really killed my card with a 2 never hit the looper and I've no idea why. Finished on 73.

• Like 1

Redricks also, it was hard right from stand 1 but I made it look impossible.  Went to Barrow fully intending to just walk around with Tony while he shot but no I decided to shoot.  Really struggled with the sun in places and the colours in places.  I shot better there but it didn’t lift my melancholy.  I don’t know how to rectify just how sh*t I have become.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chippy said:

Redricks for me also first time there. I struggled on the same stands as you hit 7 on stand 3. 4 on stand 8 and 5 on stand 11. But stand 12 really killed my card with a 2 never hit the looper and I've no idea why. Finished on 73.

I randomly dropped the second pair on 12, but hit the rest.  Slowed up on the driven and missed behind, trigger flinched on the looper.  Needed a fair bit of lead I thought.

Having seen the scores are up and I'm feeling less miserable about it than I was.  I didn't feel like I was shooting badly, just seems that it was set very tough.

47 minutes ago, Sian said:

I don’t know how to rectify just how sh*t I have become.  

Thought about seeing a coach ? 

Also Redricks. Nice to see Bebo and Sian, although like me they weren’t smiling as much as we would all like. 

No excuse for my terrible 1/10 on stand 11. I just didn’t change what I was doing enough. Rubbish. But by the time I got there my brain was a bit fried as it had been a tough course. A reasonable 8/10 on the nasty stand 4 (missed one of each).

Finished on 77, so take stand 11 out it wasn’t THAT bad. But I think the course was a bit too tough. Only 11 shooters over 80 from 100+ entries. I know if Hamid was still here to comment he would be saying that shoots are meant to be selling entertainment and I wonder if Redricks is just a bit past that point for the mass audience. 

• Like 1