Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Will Hewland

Not sure what's happened to my shooting lately a 94 at highwayman's last week followed by a 94 at Northampton today. Not doing anything different but for some reason they seem to be breaking.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bebo said:

Court Farm this morning. Second time I've been to Horne in 18 months or more. Still dominated by teal, going away and quartering away targets. Not my favourites. I understand why some say Horne is easy because there isn't much that needs big leads, but personally I find it tricky because the targets are so fiddly. The two toughest stands I did well on (8 and 9) just to not be able to find two or three targets on other stands. I'd overlead and the over compensate and stop the gun. Wasn't a disaster, but finished on a mediocre 74.

I always find Court Farm very fiddly. It’s a weird bit of ground, basically shooting into a row of trees and bushes, so the targets are a bit unique. Similar targets at Gatton Bottom, but at least there is open background which makes it easier. Now GB is doing reg shoots I’ll get back there soon. It’s been a LONG time. 

9 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

I always find Court Farm very fiddly. It’s a weird bit of ground, basically shooting into a row of trees and bushes, so the targets are a bit unique. Similar targets at Gatton Bottom, but at least there is open background which makes it easier. Now GB is doing reg shoots I’ll get back there soon. It’s been a LONG time. 

I definitely need to work on improving at quartering stuff that needs little lead, going to be up at Sporting Targets on Saturday with some friends so I'm going to seek out those targets.  At least I managed not to muck up on teals yesterday.  Don't think I dropped one of those.

Churchills on Thursday and Kibworth on Friday for me.  Thankfully back to targets where you see a gap between gun and clay.

6 minutes ago, Bebo said:

I definitely need to work on improving at quartering stuff that needs little lead, going to be up at Sporting Targets on Saturday with some friends so I'm going to seek out those targets.  At least I managed not to muck up on teals yesterday.  Don't think I dropped one of those.

Churchills on Thursday and Kibworth on Friday for me.  Thankfully back to targets where you see a gap between gun and clay.

One approach I would recommend on quartering: Judge the target and decide how much it’s crossing you, which can be almost nothing (so you want to be just on its edge) or significantly (so you will need to see a foot gap perhaps to the side of it). Then let the clay go past your gun a bit, before moving to that pre decided kill picture. Don’t start the gun too low, it’s better to be travelling more from the side, on the line of the clay. The important bit is that you slow the gun as you reach the kill point, because it’s easy to whizz past. 

Its not the only way of course, but works for me. 

• Thanks 1

Holland and Holland for the 100 challenge, shot a new PB of 82 and I’m pleased to say that apart from one stand on the platform (rabbit and blaze going away with the blaze going behind the bush so I couldn’t see it) I could see all the targets!  Really enjoyed it, lovely atmosphere, good weather and some testing targets, not beating you by distance but angles etc.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/1/2021 at 1:03 PM, Bebo said:

Court Farm this morning. Second time I've been to Horne in 18 months or more. Still dominated by teal, going away and quartering away targets. Not my favourites. I understand why some say Horne is easy because there isn't much that needs big leads, but personally I find it tricky because the targets are so fiddly. The two toughest stands I did well on (8 and 9) just to not be able to find two or three targets on other stands. I'd overlead and the over compensate and stop the gun. Wasn't a disaster, but finished on a mediocre 74.

Thought we would of seen you at Redricks along with Natasha & Angela ??

Plenty to see with a gap between gun & clay there !!

4 hours ago, philmoss said:

Thought we would of seen you at Redricks along with Natasha & Angela ??

Plenty to see with a gap between gun & clay there !!

Had something on in the afternoon and wouldn't have been able to get back in time for it if I'd come up to Redricks.  It's only an hour home from Court Farm, made it back by 12.30.

Gunsite today, thankfully the Perazzi is back with me so no ultra lightweight wand aka MK38, a big big entry, luckily I missed the heavy rain 💦💦 but the wind 💨💨did pick up all through the day. Not sure how but in a squad of seven, all new faces to me so a quiet 2 1/2 hours is was too be, another downside of squadding is when the next group is a four and always up your ar er well you get drift, what’s more no matter how many of your squad still to shot one or two of them always want to virtually get in cage on your shoulders to peek at the clays. The shoot, well as earlier it was windy, quite a lot got buffeted about making it interesting rather than too difficult, not sure I have nor will achieve the skill set / reactions of the many to change on the hoof when a clay in flight goes all a wobble. Shot first half well 😊, wheels came off second half ☹️ Am though trying something different on my l-r bogeys, thing is it’s going to take me some ( a lot of ) time. Overall it ‘twas neither a good nor bad day for I, and looking at the scores in when I left a lot in same boat. Well done 👏 Dan 91 was leading A when I left, HG was Stuart Rudling 99, although lots of AAA superstars still on course think that’s in the bag. 
Oxford Friday will be looking for some but not major improvement in my all round shooting.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, GlawsterCodger said:

Gunsite today, thankfully the Perazzi is back with me so no ultra lightweight wand aka MK38, a big big entry, luckily I missed the heavy rain 💦💦 but the wind 💨💨did pick up all through the day. Not sure how but in a squad of seven, all new faces to me so a quiet 2 1/2 hours is was too be, another downside of squadding is when the next group is a four and always up your ar er well you get drift, what’s more no matter how many of your squad still to shot one or two of them always want to virtually get in cage on your shoulders to peek at the clays. The shoot, well as earlier it was windy, quite a lot got buffeted about making it interesting rather than too difficult, not sure I have nor will achieve the skill set / reactions of the many to change on the hoof when a clay in flight goes all a wobble. Shot first half well 😊, wheels came off second half ☹️ Am though trying something different on my l-r bogeys, thing is it’s going to take me some ( a lot of ) time. Overall it ‘twas neither a good nor bad day for I, and looking at the scores in when I left a lot in same boat. Well done 👏 Dan 91 was leading A when I left, HG was Stuart Rudling 99, although lots of AAA superstars still on course think that’s in the bag. 
Oxford Friday will be looking for some but not major improvement in my all round shooting.

Nice to see you mate.

I started at 10.05 and had a bit of heavy rain to start with which luckily stopped after a couple of stands but the gusty wind stayed about but I didn't have many affected by it; one battue on stand 2 went well shot of where it was supposed to which I hit but then went way out in front of the next, couple of teal on the next stand went stratospheric . and the second bird on 11 was just odd, came out at a funny angle and the wind sort of turned it to one side, missed three of them but hit all of the long midis.

Very happy with 91 in the conditions though.

• Like 3

My very small run of 90s came to an end today at highwayman's with an 85. I hate shooting in the wind so iam blaming that and the rain.

Gatton Bottom was cancelled, I drove 42 miles (and return) to find that one out. I rang Michelle who told tales of torrential rain bogging down their trailer, by the time they pulled it out with a tractor it was too late . . 

Dovey Valley yesterday for The Welsh Open .

Brilliant shoot , fantastic targets , a most enjoyable day , caught up with lots of friends who all seemed to have enjoyed their day.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Martinj said:

Gatton Bottom was cancelled, I drove 42 miles (and return) to find that one out. I rang Michelle who told tales of torrential rain bogging down their trailer, by the time they pulled it out with a tractor it was too late . . 

I had just decided weather looked too iffy when I heard it was canned. Lucky!

I made the mistake of going to our local ground, Willow Farm, on what looked like a fairly nice sunday morning.  I've never been so wet shooting.  Soaked through to the skin, and so cold for August. Just horrid. 

I skipped Sunday morning, was thinking of going to Dartford as I was driving right past it on my way home, but the weather put me off.

Did Churchills on Thursday and Kibworth on Friday.  Effed up the second sim pair at Churchills, but shot the rest OK.  Kibworth same, mucked up the second sim pair, much easier targets than at EJC.  Then commenced to try not to miss for the rest of the shoot, which meant I was then being overly careful and missing stuff behind regularly from then on, including really soft stuff.  Rubbish score of 66.

The fact that my average has gone up to within a whisker of A class has messed with my head.  I'm trying to hard to reach a certain score, instead of just shooting.  Out at Hornet on Wednesday, where I'm going to try to focus on process rather than outcome and try to lose track of my score.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

I had just decided weather looked too iffy when I heard it was canned. Lucky!

It was OK at home in Yateley and the forecast wasn't too grim so I had no inkling that it was that bad. Michelle wanted to make it clear that Gatton Bottom would be on next Sunday

On 8/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, Salopian said:

Dovey Valley yesterday for The Welsh Open .

Brilliant shoot , fantastic targets , a most enjoyable day , caught up with lots of friends who all seemed to have enjoyed their day.

Me too, was a cracking shoot, one of the best I’ve shot I reckon.

• Like 1

Hornet today and I made a complete mess from the start.  Dropped 18 targets over the first 4 stands, behind stuff for being overly careful again.  At that point I thought, sod it just shoot them and only dropped another 10 on the remaining 8 stands, with no more than 2 away on any of them.  Finished on 72, but could have been so much better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oxfordshire today, earlier start due to both work & usual squad chums all being elsewhere, shot with new faces, I’m no spring chicken but in this squad I was the boy. For August the weathers a bit dire, despite it trying too it didn’t rain but day was a bit gloomy all the same. Now the place isn’t the toughest shoot around, it’s no “fish in a barrel” type filler either. Me, I started well enough then had a wheel come off due to a few bogey target stands but pulled it back towards end, been trying a few different things which are still work in progress, overall ones chuffed enough. Afterwards a cup of tea out of a China mug and a rather delightful bacon bap. Saw a cheerful MrHewland who exuded the look of a chap who had a good day.

HG when left Mickey Rouse 97, 

• Like 1

Nice to see you Rich.

Hmm.. OSS is a pleasant place, nice people, great sandwiches. The course however does need some work. Yesterday I felt at least 5 stands were a waste of good lead. The others weren’t too bad, but still on the steady side overall. Basically I think I would have hit the same score if 5 stands had been stiffened up a bit but it would have felt more worthwhile and frankly would have assisted in separating C and AA class. To be clear, I’m not one of these “tougher the better” types, but it wants to be a decent test  

It really needs at least one more stand as 10 is monotonous.

In the past, they got feedback that the shoot was too easy, so the next shoot just had some horrible sim pairs, not clever, just short of time which is not good. Then after that they put a pretty decent shoot on, but yesterday felt a bit soppy again I thought. 

I’m hopeful they get it right again. Next month I’ll be shooting Owls STR instead that week. 

Barbury Pro One, non-reg Open, a 15 stand 120 target shoot, of which there were four novelty stands. Now the investment & ground improvements here are impressive, sadly Ive never shot very well at the place and today was to be no different. Ah the novelty offerings three stands having three traps, 3 singles FUOG and then pairs/simo so 9 target stand and the other 6 traps all monster singles again FUOG. Our merry squad of six (As Bs & Cs) all more floundered than flourished and although no wet stuff the rather stiff breeze flattened our mood. Stiff yes, a few fair were beyond our crew, that said many were having a blinding day such is the way of sporting clays. Will add that ground and staff put in a tremendous amount of time, energy and thought into the competition, me I will aspire to be better for the next one. 

• Like 3

First time at Gatton Bottom for me since pre-Covid days. Only one target I strughled on, a floppy thing from the first platform that I just couldn't find. Shot the rest well. Was marked a miss on Stand 3, when I'd hit all of them. Despite that still managed a new Registered PB. Finished on 88.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GlawsterCodger said:

Barbury Pro One, non-reg Open, a 15 stand 120 target shoot, of which there were four novelty stands. Now the investment & ground improvements here are impressive, sadly Ive never shot very well at the place and today was to be no different. Ah the novelty offerings three stands having three traps, 3 singles FUOG and then pairs/simo so 9 target stand and the other 6 traps all monster singles again FUOG. Our merry squad of six (As Bs & Cs) all more floundered than flourished and although no wet stuff the rather stiff breeze flattened our mood. Stiff yes, a few fair were beyond our crew, that said many were having a blinding day such is the way of sporting clays. Will add that ground and staff put in a tremendous amount of time, energy and thought into the competition, me I will aspire to be better for the next one. 

Barbury for us too - 2 squads in front of us - whole squad never turned up.  Squad in front of us 3 never turned up and 1 never turned up on our squad.  What is wrong with making a simple call?  As to the shoot, thoroughly enjoyed it.  I had my new prescription glasses and they are a bit stronger so it took a few stands to get the feel of them.  Had 2 bad stands, 6 and 8 with a 1 and a 2 respectively.  Done well on the stands with 3 traps, and was chuffed to have shot a 4 on stand 12, missing the crow and teal 😳 then hit 5 on stand 13, hitting all the battues. There was nothing that couldn’t be seen, a right mixture of targets, friendly, happy refs and as you say, staff running around all day to make the day go smoothly.  

• Like 2

Barbury for us today as well and I thoroughly enjoyed the novelty factor as described above.  I blanked stand 13 I just couldn’t see them well and they were not an easy presentation for me.   I also missed three very close birds and two white targets on stand 8, again the White seemed to disappear just as I want to shoot it.  Stand 12 I managed the C bird off the tower, the teal on the drop and the crow.. lovely squad to boot.   Managed a few straights so that is always nice.  Good to see you Donna.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shooting with a cold this week. Wasted my time at EJC, fuzzy head, useless. 

Hangmanstone today for Oxford champs. Took some Day Nurse! It’s the first shoot I’ve done not squadded since before the apocalypse. Car park and whole ground very full when I turned up after midday. Thanks to Sian for the parking spot! I was entry 152 and they were still coming in. 

I walked past the first four stands as they each had about 20 people waiting. Some trap trouble. Shot stands 5-12 in about 50 minutes, then took another 75 mins to get the first four done as queues were still there. A good course I felt, with three easy stands, three hard stands and the rest medium. Finished on 90 just as the Day Nurse was wearing off. I wonder if squadded or some sort of hybrid method might be needed here in future as it was busy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1