Miroku firing pins...help needed

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi

So i finally found a guy who is going to have a crack at making a pair from silver steel, we all know the originals pit, so posted my pins to him ten days ago.....hmmm, seems they are lost in the post .  So my question is does anybody have a old pair miroku mk 38 (525) firing pins I could have to send him as a pattern , obviously otherwise need to order a new pair and go from there..  thanks in advance. yes jpn make longer pins but told they pit quick enough

Its only the bottom pin that causes light strikes on superposed action.   Keep everything thing clean and change main springs when needed.  Longer pins not really the answer as they pierce  the primer and can cause what your trying to avoid.  Heavier main springs will cure the issue but will cause heavy trigger pulls, can be sorted with changing the angle on the sears.   Best advice I can offer is stick to factory pins and springs and take the stock off once in a while remove the pins and clean them (sandpaper) if needed. And clean the pin holes in the action.  Polishing the tip of the firing pin can increase its life span 

Hi

So i finally found a guy who is going to have a crack at making a pair from silver steel, we all know the originals pit, so posted my pins to him ten days ago.....hmmm, seems they are lost in the post .  So my question is does anybody have a old pair miroku mk 38 (525) firing pins I could have to send him as a pattern , obviously otherwise need to order a new pair and go from there..  thanks in advance. yes jpn make longer pins but told they pit quick enough
This might be a stupid point, but don't you need new pins to send so that he makes them to the correct length. Knackered pins will already be too short, and could be causing light strikes unless he's adding on a nominal increase in length. Just a thought.

Thanks for the replies, new pair already ordered , @Gavin thats an interesting point about trigger pulls with heavier duty springs are you speaking from experiance ? I ask as I had a pair of JPN springs several years ago as a present and have yet to fit them.

yes pin holes are cleaned on a regular basis, return spring replaced and yes its only bottom pin that rarely causes a problem and only with a certan brand normally(known fault) , just giving it a service as you do andlooking to swap out pitted pins , looks like previous owner had already polished bottom one down a fair bit.  Anyways new ordered.

any ones experiance on the jpn springs causing heavy trigger pulls or not would be interesting before I fit them. thanks everyone

Jason ,

I think the JPN springs are an expensive mistake , they do the job but are really no better than standard pins .Cleanliness and polishing the pin tips and bores is a very worthwhile thing to do . Annual service and new springs will pay dividends .

Yes from experience on an mk38. Fitted heavier springs and triggers became very heavy (and I'm not fussy about triggers)  I re- profiled the sears and it sorted it (wouldn't advise anyone to tamper with sears)   when selling the gun i ordered new factory sears and fitted them.  And the trigger was terrible again. Id advise stick to factory and change cartridge brand 

must admit I dont even notice the trigger pull on mine, did try an auto a while back(just a few goes on one stand) ,breda I think?, anyways that had the crispest I have known super nice .

If you already have the replacement springs, why no fit them and just compare how they feel to you? Horses for courses, hopefully you’ll like the result.

A mate shoots a Miroku that has been serviced by a smith who ‘upgraded’ the trigger pulls (no idea what that actually involved but probably springs and a sear polish), but he could do with heavier pulls as he now discharges mid swing more than he’d care to admit.  

If you already have the replacement springs, why no fit them and just compare how they feel to you? Horses for courses, hopefully you’ll like the result.

A mate shoots a Miroku that has been serviced by a smith who ‘upgraded’ the trigger pulls (no idea what that actually involved but probably springs and a sear polish), but he could do with heavier pulls as he now discharges mid swing more than he’d care to admit.  
I was prone to my gun going off before I intended it to. I have shot Miroku guns for years and changed to a Browning 725. The trigger pulls are a world apart. The Miroku has a lot of free play to take up before it goes 'bang', the Browning does not have that free play. I had obviously developed a habit of taking up the slack as I approached the target, pulled through and then 'bang'. I was trying to take up slack that did not exist  ! Thankfully I am now used to the Browning 725 trigger and it no longer occurs. May I suggest the 'upgraded' trigger on the Miroku has had some or most of the free play removed  ?

Jason ,

I think the JPN springs are an expensive mistake , they do the job but are really no better than standard pins .Cleanliness and polishing the pin tips and bores is a very worthwhile thing to do . Annual service and new springs will pay dividends .
interesting, I appreciate any and all advice , you say jpn springs are an expensive mistake , could you elaborate on that please,thanks

I was prone to my gun going off before I intended it to. I have shot Miroku guns for years and changed to a Browning 725. The trigger pulls are a world apart. The Miroku has a lot of free play to take up before it goes 'bang', the Browning does not have that free play. I had obviously developed a habit of taking up the slack as I approached the target, pulled through and then 'bang'. I was trying to take up slack that did not exist  ! Thankfully I am now used to the Browning 725 trigger and it no longer occurs. May I suggest the 'upgraded' trigger on the Miroku has had some or most of the free play removed  ?
must admit that auto had no free play , my miroku has, but got on with the auto trigger and must admit prefered it, it was very precise ,crisp and easy to use. hmmmm now you have me wondering can my old miroku pulls be fettled succesfully , I must admit would be loathe for some one to try in case it was ...well lets say not good news.

May I suggest the 'upgraded' trigger on the Miroku has had some or most of the free play removed  ?
Quite likely - and I would venture some but not all, which leads him to still taking up slack but jettisoning early at times. Never a good thing :)  I think he knows he's doing it, but what doesn't help is that he rotates between several guns. Each has quirks of its own, so the slips are quite understandable. 

Ok I will chip in my little bit here. I’ve had quite a few Miroku’s over the years and I’m aware of the little quirks that they have. 
I found that regular servicing by a proper gunsmith is the best way to avoid any sort of failure. Yes there is a bit of trigger slack, but that never stopped those guns from winning god knows how many championships over the years. 
Years ago I had a miroku 3800 trap gun from new and I shot it for 22 years without a single failure. I just had it serviced once a year and had any suspect parts replaced,  it never let me down. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I ain't knocking Miroku guns, I've had enough of them and I am pondering on the new MK11, but would prefer to get a used model. (if I live long enough  ?  ) Having said that, I think the premature firing is possibly due to the trigger, because I had the exact same problem when I got a 725 Browning. I too change from gun to gun throughout my collection, but I must have developed the habit of 'taking up the slack' on my approach to the target. IF, there ain't no slack, it leads to premature firing (so to speak  !  :whistle: ).  

for some reason I dont seem to get notification that some ones put a responce to my thread ? so apolagies if my responce hasnt been fast in coming,, just noticed I put mk 38 when in fact its a 3800, same differance excepting no overboring really, so new pins arrived and I will carry on using it , would like a skinny rib version like the high pheasant but unless they do that in grade1 I will stick with what I know.  cheers guys 

sorry that should read cheers everyone 🙂

Hey, I ain't knocking Miroku guns, I've had enough of them and I am pondering on the new MK11, but would prefer to get a used model. (if I live long enough  ?  ) Having said that, I think the premature firing is possibly due to the trigger, because I had the exact same problem when I got a 725 Browning. I too change from gun to gun throughout my collection, but I must have developed the habit of 'taking up the slack' on my approach to the target. IF, there ain't no slack, it leads to premature firing (so to speak  !  :whistle: ).  
re mk 11, is it like the aus version which has turkish walnut ?hopefully,   nice looking but for the life of me I believe side plates only suit actual side locks, but thats just personal preferance so ignoring that why oh why havent miroku not updated their factory multi choke s, you only have to look at the thin wall type fitted to stuff like fabarm no2 and see the quality to realise miroku are way behind . yes I use a fixed choke/thin teagued but would like to see miroku bring out a decent factory multi choke that didnt weigh as much as titanics anchor at the front end...and yes grade 1 with options rather than all the prettyfied models please.!

for some reason I dont seem to get notification that some ones put a responce to my thread ? so apolagies if my responce hasnt been fast in coming,, just noticed I put mk 38 when in fact its a 3800, same differance excepting no overboring really, so new pins arrived and I will carry on using it , would like a skinny rib version like the high pheasant but unless they do that in grade1 I will stick with what I know.  cheers guys 

re mk 11, is it like the aus version which has turkish walnut ?hopefully,   nice looking but for the life of me I believe side plates only suit actual side locks, but thats just personal preferance so ignoring that why oh why havent miroku not updated their factory multi choke s, you only have to look at the thin wall type fitted to stuff like fabarm no2 and see the quality to realise miroku are way behind . yes I use a fixed choke/thin teagued but would like to see miroku bring out a decent factory multi choke that didnt weigh as much as titanics anchor at the front end...and yes grade 1 with options rather than all the prettyfied models please.!
Well there is more differences between mk38 and a 3800 than just the boring. 
3800 has short forcing cones, it also has chopper lump barrels too. 

Well there is more differences between mk38 and a 3800 than just the boring. 
3800 has short forcing cones, it also has chopper lump barrels too. 
well it did have shorter cones, mine were lengthed and skinny teagues, yes chopper lump but that doesnt change characteristics or shootability , barrel weight might be differant and 13 instead of 10mm rib, I changed stock for a grade 1 sporter with adjustable comb, and fore end to a skinny trap one, changed the fixed trigger for adjustable ....apart from that its a standard miroku🤣, oh differant but pad, differant front bead , mid bead removed....

where did you get the spares from
uk gun repairs,west country(posted)

Unlike the 'Aus' version, which is based on the deeper 525 action and the ones that I have seen and handled, even owned, were the MK10 model ( similar to the Heritage). The MK11 is supposedly built on the 725 action, which is shallower and thus looks a lot sleeker when fitted with sideplates (Bit like the Beretta 687EELL). I have only seen YouTube tests so far, but it does look a really nice gun with excellent wood. I just hope they have sorted out the broken stock problems associated with Grade 5's and also the Heritage  !  I know of  someone who had 3 Gd. 5's before he got one without a cracked stock  ??

Latest posts

Back