Prize money.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiptop

There has been a bit of a discussion on FB recently about prize money. What with the increase already for entry fees and cartridges, would people be prepared to put more into the prize pot to increase prize money? Prize money has remained static for years now.

The consensus was to increase the entry fee for competition to £50, and £40 for birds only, with £10 going into the prize fund, and being paid out 50/30/20% for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in class. The £10 would be kept in class, so with 40 entries per class A,B,C, there is a potential for a £400 prize pot per class. With the 50/30/20 split that could be a £200, 120, 80 pay out. The idea is to give the lower classes a good prize fund, and something worth while shooting for. Obviously there are less AA, AAA, so their pot would be less, but 9 times out of 10 they will be the ones shooting for the HG prize.

Bare in mind that prize money will only increase if the shooters put more into the pot.  

Your thoughts, and discuss. 

Personally given the cost of entering, cartridges and travel, another £10 isn’t going to make much difference but neither is there a reasonable prospect of me winning anything or, to be honest, caring to much if I do; I have started shooting CPSA comps for the fun of entering - I’m also lucky to shoot in the same squad as my daughter.

I am also a little concerned that most competitions are won by those regular shooters who practise and stay at the top of their game, going from shoot to shoot and picking up the prizes. I have no objection to that at all but equally I don’t have any desire to pass money onto the select few. I do though like the idea of the fund remaining entirely within the class contributing to it.

If I had a choice between £10 into the prise fund and £10 into junior shooting (or another positive endeavour) it would be the latter.

There is a registered shoot scheduled at Westfield on Saturday 15th May, to trial this format and to see if there is any  interest in it.

There has been a bit of a discussion on FB recently about prize money. What with the increase already for entry fees and cartridges, would people be prepared to put more into the prize pot to increase prize money? Prize money has remained static for years now.

The consensus was to increase the entry fee for competition to £50, and £40 for birds only, with £10 going into the prize fund, and being paid out 50/30/20% for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in class. The £10 would be kept in class, so with 40 entries per class A,B,C, there is a potential for a £400 prize pot per class. With the 50/30/20 split that could be a £200, 120, 80 pay out. The idea is to give the lower classes a good prize fund, and something worth while shooting for. Obviously there are less AA, AAA, so their pot would be less, but 9 times out of 10 they will be the ones shooting for the HG prize.

Bare in mind that prize money will only increase if the shooters put more into the pot.  

Your thoughts, and discuss. 
Don’t know about individually paying extra, if more of the entrants went comp those cash prizes in the A-C classes would I fell be achievable. The growth in “birds only” entries (out of a fairly static overall entrance) these last few years has been quite remarkable. 

As we discussed on FB Martin, only a trial will show if it is what attracts a good entry. I think the idea will cause a very simple division between those who think they are in with a top three chance and those who don’t. At a big talent event like Westfield it would definitely make me enter BO, as while I might want to have a punt on a fiver that I will have the shoot of my life, a tenner will draw out my sane side. 😀

As we discussed on FB Martin, only a trial will show if it is what attracts a good entry. I think the idea will cause a very simple division between those who think they are in with a top three chance and those who don’t. At a big talent event like Westfield it would definitely make me enter BO, as while I might want to have a punt on a fiver that I will have the shoot of my life, a tenner will draw out my sane side. 😀
That's why Steve is doing the trial. I've always shot comp, although in A never win anything, probably placed about 3 times. I will be sat on the fence with this one though. I can see the point, as people keep moaning prices go up, but prize money doesn't. The thing with prize money, other than the sponsored HG, it is self financing, and of course you still have the option to go birds only if people wish.

Don’t know about individually paying extra, if more of the entrants went comp those cash prizes in the A-C classes would I fell be achievable. The growth in “birds only” entries (out of a fairly static overall entrance) these last few years has been quite remarkable. 
The result sheet that was shown on FB showed 123 comp entries with 81 B/only. That gave £615 (123 x 5) for the prize pot. If you flipped those figures, with £10 going in the pot, there would be £810 (81 x 10) for the pot, so more prize money with less comp entries. Obviously depending on entries per class depends how it gets divided.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problems will come when the A class winner is taking home more than AA, AAA or high gun. As far as I'm aware A and B are the biggest classes for number of entries, if A class winner is taking home £200 plus and AA or high gun take home half that, the top lads will kick off pretty soon.

Won’t it just encourage the sandbaggers to get in a lower class to give them a better chance of winning? Get the classification system sorted first then this could be a good idea 

The problems will come when the A class winner is taking home more than AA, AAA or high gun. As far as I'm aware A and B are the biggest classes for number of entries, if A class winner is taking home £200 plus and AA or high gun take home half that, the top lads will kick off pretty soon.
That's quite a possibility that it would happen, and it was mentioned. The funny thing is, it was a, AAA shot that suggested this format to encourage the lower classes to try harder to improve, and give them a bigger return.

Very true. Some shoots pay same prizes to top three in each class, other pay back to class. It feels beserk when a C class shooter wins more than a AA. But prize money is a promotional tool. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Won’t it just encourage the sandbaggers to get in a lower class to give them a better chance of winning? Get the classification system sorted first then this could be a good idea 
Don't forget you can only drop 1 classification in any 12 month period now, and you must shoot at least 600 targets now to be able to go down a class.

I understand raising the contribution to the prize fund but why should birds only entry increase to £40 with no prize fund the cost of birds only doesn't increase.
I think you will find that some grounds are going to be charging £40 birds only as standard when we resume next week, and  £45 for comp. The rest will follow no doubt.

Be surprised if there are many shooters at any level worry too much about prize money, certainly of no interest to me, win more playing bingo, i certainly would not entertain chucking a tenner into it

The other flip side of putting the prize stake up is that birds only entries increase as people don't want to pay the extra. It could turn put that the actual overall gain in the prize pot is not as big as expected.

Not sure how the grounds stand contractually with the cpsa, but the other option is to remove the birds only option and make competition mandatory and keep the contribution low.

One drawback I can see due to larger prize fund is an increase in 'chip begging' , unallowed coaching, unallowed practice on ' a couple of those I missed' , score card altering and bullying of refs, without the latter being competent to deal with such matters.

Regards

Leigh

Latest posts

Back