Anti auto?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

Ok many moons ago we used to have quite a few topics, aka arguments. Often concerning the merits or otherwise of auto shotguns versus the more conventional types of guns. 
Have all the auto enthusiasts now vacated the forum?  Apart from a few lines in the trap section I cannot find any squabbles about autos! 
Oh well, tis life! 😂

I bought one last year. Specifically so I could go and shoot the Benelli semi-auto shoot this year. It's a Beretta, so it would let me shoot that comp as well.

I have my lovely B725 Black Edition which i love shooting....but,

I have a Remy 1187 and for horrible weather a plastic Franchi Affinity.  

My favourite gun by far is the feel of the 1187 the way it shoots and handles. It's a 1989 Premier Skeet with a 25 inch barrel. 

I used to have a Remington Tournament Trap shotgun and used it to shoot DTL, when men were men and not the whingers that they are today, moaning about empties flying about 😱

I still have a 21 year old Beretta 391 30" fitted with a recoil reducer in the safe as a back up gun, you can shoot that all day everyday if you wish, very little recoil😃

I still have have my Beretta 303 and wouldn't part with it. I bought a scrap 300 for 'parts' but during the lockdowns I have stripped and rebuilt it. It has a 303 barrel with Mobil chokes and my intention was to keep it for pigeon shooting or roughing about. I have raised all the dents in the woodwork and re applied the oil finish, fitted new springs throughout and 'touched in' some of the scratches on the action. A kick-eeze pad was on it when I bought it, so I have re fitted that. It shoots 24 gram ammo without a problem, unless you are in the company of a Trap shooter  !    🙄

I too had a Remmie Tournament Trap and probably shot more straights with that than any Trap gun I have had ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got 3 autos in the cabinet, a 35 year old 303 up for sale when travel restrictions are lifted, a lightweight 391 teknys for pigeon shooting and a fabarm euro lion competition with an adjustable stock which I am setting up for a dedicated clay gun, I don't understand why some people are against them they should be encouraging people to shoot whatever gun they choose, more people shooting less effective the anti gun/noise lobby 

They are perceived to be 'more dangerous' than a break open gun, obviously this perception comes from those who do not own an auto.  In 17 years of running a shooting ground the few incidents that did occur were ALL involving break open guns. The favourite being, closing the gun with a finger on the trigger. We had a few 'mole hunters' (and it was nearly always the same people) amongst the regulars  !  The funniest incident, and it could have been a lot worse, involved an experienced DTL shooter. He had inherited a Remmie 1100 auto and brought it to the ground to 'try'. He was on peg 1 from the start, so I went and stood behind him, just in case. I had already gone through the closing and loading routine off range. All was going well and by the third 'change', I went and sat down again. After the next change 'Remmie Man', fired his first shot, waited until the next gun had shot, reloaded the auto, then stuck the barrel on his right foot  !  I did not want to rush forward, in case it made him jump and pull the trigger, I had to wait until it was his turn to shoot. When he had shouldered the gun I was able to stop the line, take the gun from him, unload it and then point out his error. It was only then that he realized what he had done.  I never saw that Remmie again  !

I never saw that Remmie again  !
Now.        When I was a kid in the eighties, Remmie had a very different meaning, an abbreviation from the full word for the chaps in what would probably now be called the special educational needs classes... so are you talking about the gun or the bloke behind it?! :D

My first shotgun was a Winchester 1400 . It was amazing, as it came with a 28” winchoke barrel  ( the reason that I bought, it the bloke in Linsley Bros. in Leeds said it was the future ) Supplied in the box were  three chokes with thick knurled collars . The stock was typical Yankee , about 14 1/4 LOP, enough drop to ensure you saw the back of the receiver , and a trigger sourced from a Lone Star cap gun . That would be around 45 years ago . 
I’d love to say I get all nostalgic about it , but I’d be lying , it was a pile of junk with all the finesse of a canoe paddle .

Now.        When I was a kid in the eighties, Remmie had a very different meaning, an abbreviation from the full word for the chaps in what would probably now be called the special educational needs classes... so are you talking about the gun or the bloke behind it?! :D
Ah, well when I was in school in the 50's,   we were ALL thick  !    

In that case I owned and shot er....... Remmies possibly before you were born   😂

Ah, well when I was in school in the 50's,   we were ALL thick  !    

In that case I owned and shot er....... Remmies possibly before you were born   😂
I believe the school you went to was approved ?

I borrowed a beretta 391 Ulrika to do a semi auto shoot, and ended up buying it! Use it a few times a year, and it still makes me smile every time I shoot it.

It is also the first 12 bore that 2 of my kids have tried, as it’s so gentle on the shoulder, especially when using 24g Fblacks. 
Great  back-up or foul weather gun as it’s composite.

I borrowed a beretta 391 Ulrika to do a semi auto shoot, and ended up buying it! Use it a few times a year, and it still makes me smile every time I shoot it.

It is also the first 12 bore that 2 of my kids have tried, as it’s so gentle on the shoulder, especially when using 24g Fblacks. 
Great  back-up or foul weather gun as it’s composite.
I used a 391 for years of Instruction and Corporate events without any problems, sometimes putting over 1000 rounds through it in a day. It even cycled 21 gram with only the occasional failure to eject. As I was only putting 1 cartridge in for beginners, it did not matter. I also shot an awful lot of pigeons with it too. Apart from being a pain to clean, it was a great gun. I now have a 300 and a 303 which are far easier to clean.

This is what you need, proper gun....pump 😁

IMG_20210220_155811_2.jpg

One gun that you rarely see on clay layouts is the Browning B2000 , which was made only for a few years in the late ‘70s . It was available in field,  trap and Skeet flavours 

Everything about it is wrong , keeping the receiver shape from the Auto 5 , and then building a gas auto around it , the stock dimensions aren’t great also . After a relatively short production run , Browning replaced it with the B80 , essentially a Beretta 300 series gun . 

Having said that , my mate has one that he had from new and  it’s been fully refurbished some years back . I love it despite it being “ all wrong “ . The all steel receiver feels great between the hands , it’s fast handling and no auto sounds better when you release the bolt , or it recycles , a lovely ring to it .  It’s probably the one auto I’d like to have in the cabinet ! 

Back