CPSA British Open at EJC Swinton

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard59

Seen, as title suggests the announced championships, me I’m in the SWest & confess not been, that said only heard only good / glowing reviews, will ask those on here that have been to the place anything to enlighten? 

I’m not sure I will ever be able to assist Rich. 480mile round trip for me and I’m not good enough for it to be worth it. 😆

I’m not sure I will ever be able to assist Rich. 480mile round trip for me and I’m not good enough for it to be worth it. 😆
572 miles for me.  The 400 miles round trip in a day to Garlands was a bit much last year, I definitely don't think I'd be up for this.

Ah that reminds me, must buy a lottery...................😄 Even more reason not to go is the 3 1/2 hour each way trip.😮

Last edited by a moderator:
For most people living in South Wales if we shoot at Westfield,gunsite,Barbury,4 counties it means a round trip of 250 miles, Churchill’s is more like 300 plus.

Any shooter from up north also have to travel similar distance to shoot at those  I’ve mentioned. If I shoot the open it will be on a “let’s make a mini holiday “ out of it basis, so ladies and gents stop moaning about it being up north this time.

For most people living in South Wales if we shoot at Westfield,gunsite,Barbury,4 counties it means a round trip of 250 miles, Churchill’s is more like 300 plus.

Any shooter from up north also have to travel similar distance to shoot at those  I’ve mentioned. If I shoot the open it will be on a “let’s make a mini holiday “ out of it basis, so ladies and gents stop moaning about it being up north this time.
That's what I did the last time I shot it, sportrap one day, sporting the next. Glorious time in Tamworth. That was a few years ago now, before they changed the format to the farcical qualification system they now have.

Churchills is 200 miles round trip for me.  Barbury 300. I don't mind that it's in the north, they deserve a turn and I wouldn't have shot it irrespective of where it was held.

Might be tempted, even if it is a 3.5 hour trip each way. Many years ago I worked just outside Rippon, great part of the country and from what I remember the beer was good as well 🍺👍

I've been to the ground as fortunate to have family up that way but still 2 hour drive from theirs but like Wyn says I would stay in the area if shooting it Masham nice town with what look like nice pubs/hotels to stay lots of other places close by too with stunning scenery around the area unless you've got the funds to stay at the Swinton estate house/hotel.  The ground very well set up only draw back when there was smallish carpark but lots of fields both sides of the lane up to the ground so could be used if needed I suppose, the  ground ranges from open field area at the bottom of the small valley with a steam running down through the length of the ground shooting stands both sides of the valley hard gravel road running up through the middle past club house to high forested ground towards the top end with a tower/scaffold set up, they have a skeet layout at the top end along with compak/sportrap stands not sure if they have greater area of scope as it was quite compact but could have seeing as its part of the Swinton estate which is vast 20,000 acres.  I will be looking at it with long weekend type trip in mind . 

Hope this helps some of you  :)  

I've been to the ground as fortunate to have family up that way but still 2 hour drive from theirs but like Wyn says I would stay in the area if shooting it Masham nice town with what look like nice pubs/hotels to stay lots of other places close by too with stunning scenery around the area unless you've got the funds to stay at the Swinton estate house/hotel.  The ground very well set up only draw back when there was smallish carpark but lots of fields both sides of the lane up to the ground so could be used if needed I suppose, the  ground ranges from open field area at the bottom of the small valley with a steam running down through the length of the ground shooting stands both sides of the valley hard gravel road running up through the middle past club house to high forested ground towards the top end with a tower/scaffold set up, they have a skeet layout at the top end along with compak/sportrap stands not sure if they have greater area of scope as it was quite compact but could have seeing as its part of the Swinton estate which is vast 20,000 acres.  I will be looking at it with long weekend type trip in mind . 

Hope this helps some of you  :)  
I think you need to treat this as a weekend away, especially if shooting it Friday/Saturday. If you are lucky enough to qualify, or fluke a finals place through category on the Saturday you will need somewhere to stay, to shoot the final on the Sunday. Either that or you must be prepared for a lot of travelling if you live a distance away.

I think you need to treat this as a weekend away, especially if shooting it Friday/Saturday. If you are lucky enough to qualify, or fluke a finals place through category on the Saturday you will need somewhere to stay, to shoot the final on the Sunday. Either that or you must be prepared for a lot of travelling if you live a distance away.
I agree tiptop that's the best way if you make the grade and qualify as its a good run up there.  

I agree tiptop that's the best way if you make the grade and qualify as its a good run up there.  
If I were to shoot it it would be sportrap Friday, Sporting Saturday. But I won't be so it makes no difference to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought you had sights on ripping up ( 💷🏆💷🏆) everything in B Class this year? You’ve worked hard to get there 😉

Thought you had sights on ripping up ( 💷🏆💷🏆) everything in B Class this year? You’ve worked hard to get there 😉
I will have an A class average after one shoot soon as we can get back out. Need to bag it as much as possible through April/May, as will no doubt be going back up. At least I get the English in 'B'aggers class. Anyway you know my thoughts on the great 'British' farce.😮😊

Just a note to anybody who will be looking for a hotel . The Black Swan at Fearby  is a nice country pub , with a modern annexe of hotel rooms , has rental cottages , a camp site and accommodates motor homes and caravans . Pretty much all the options you could need .  It’s very convenient for EJC . I’ve had lunch there a few times after shooting , nice food, friendly staff 

Just a note to anybody who will be looking for a hotel . The Black Swan at Fearby  is a nice country pub , with a modern annexe of hotel rooms , has rental cottages , a camp site and accommodates motor homes and caravans . Pretty much all the options you could need .  It’s very convenient for EJC . I’ve had lunch there a few times after shooting , nice food, friendly staff 
If we mention your name ,do we get 10% discount? 🤔🤔🤔

Nope , just passing a bit of local knowledge to those further south . I’ve  nothing to do with the place . Just been there for lunch a few times after I’ve shot at EJC . I was going to do a weekend up there  , shoot my syndicate near Northallerton on Saturday then clays Sunday and  Monday (as Churchill’s are one of the few grounds that shoot on Monday)  but then lockdown came .  

Back