A can of worms?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

Having spent the past four or five years shooting AR15 type rifles, it occurred to me that as far as I know, nobody has ever made what could be called a modular shotgun. Well not for civilian use as far as I know? 
Yes we have aftermarket adjustable stocks and various other things like chokes. But I wonder why no manufacturer has ever come up with an easily customised modular type competition shotgun. 
With an AR15, you can change any part of the rifle with little knowledge and very few tools, even custom drop in triggers can be purchased online and fitted easily. The aftermarket is huge and  is full of every conceivable part for such guns.  A gunsmith is only required if you need something fine tuned, this is generally not possible for an amateur. 
Ok I know that a lot of us who shoot shotguns would not like something that looked like an AR15, especially me. 
However, a shotgun is a tool, even though a lot of us see it as more than that. 
So I wonder, would there be any market for a modular tool gun in clay shooting? Would you want one?
Thoughts guys? 
I will now retire to a safe distance! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Having spent the past four or five years shooting AR15 type rifles, it occurred to me that as far as I know, nobody has ever made what could be called a modular shotgun. Well not for civilian use as far as I know? 
Yes we have aftermarket adjustable stocks and various other things like chokes. But I wonder why no manufacturer has ever come up with an easily customised modular type competition shotgun. 
With an AR15, you can change any part of the rifle with little knowledge and very few tools, even custom drop in triggers can be purchased online and fitted easily. The aftermarket is huge and  is full of every conceivable part for such guns.  A gunsmith is only required if you need something fine tuned, this is generally not possible for an amateur. 
Ok I know that a lot of us who shoot shotguns would not like something that looked like an AR15, especially me. 
However, a shotgun is a tool, even though a lot of us see it as more than that. 
So I wonder, would there be any market for a modular tool gun in clay shooting? Would you want one?
Thoughts guys? 
I will now retire to a safe distance! 
yes i would consider one     💥

That sounds so functional .With a bit of thought and imaination I also think you could give the design a bit of flair to also make it look nice and desirable

This is what you want Les admit it , comes in pink too if you want a surprise present for the wife🤣  I am sure there was a vid of this before ... By the way nice to see you back! You still got that lovely Perazzi Heritage with the case hardened finish?

I seriously doubt there would be volume enough to justify an open design and expect some wide participation.  I often wonder how gun makers manage now - OK, the military sh*te keeps many of them alive.

The problem here is that having the same standards for every conceivable accessory or option would mean most shotgun-makers lose a part of their business.

I like tinkering with my guns and although it isn't the cheapest of passtimes (and certainly not every investment of time and money rewards in terms of score), there already is some degree of modularity within the ranges of the bigger manufacturers. Shafts, forends, triggers and beads are all available, aside from the ubiquitous chokes off course, and I have happily replaced all of the above and more. Different barrel-sets are appealing too, but those are expensive by comparison and require a smith to finish them to the exact specs of the individual action. I might still go that way if I ever have a gun fully specced and built from start to finish. Unfortunately the lottery-odds aren't in my favour.

But as all but chokes and shafts (to a degree) don't have a universal standard, its the mostly manufacturers' product range that one would have to use. They'd lose out if cheaper generic options were widely available. 

On 3/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, jwpzx9r said:

This is what you want Les admit it , comes in pink too if you want a surprise present for the wife🤣  I am sure there was a vid of this before ... By the way nice to see you back! You still got that lovely Perazzi Heritage with the case hardened finish?

Alas John, No I don't have that Perazzi now. But that's life mate. I've forgotten how many lovely guns I've had over the years! Now have a deposit on a very old C3 trap gun. 

I seriously doubt there would be volume enough to justify an open design and expect some wide participation.  I often wonder how gun makers manage now - OK, the military sh*te keeps many of them alive.
Apparently not Colt , who had the original rights to Stoner’s  AR platform . They are now a subsidiary of CZ in the Czech Republic , not where you’d think the company that brought you the  “ Gun that made all men equal” would end up  . Duke Wayne must be spinning like a top ! 

I think your comments on an open platform shotgun are pretty much spot on . What’s the point ? If you can’t shoot with the myriad out of the box or fitted brand XY it Z , you’re  certainly not going to improve by building your own “Bitsa” . 

Correct me if I am wrong but with the AR15 the main patents have expired hence its rip for copy and improvement.

Getting manufactures to agree standrad from the get go is almost imposible - look at the wonderful betamax and sh*t VHS war of the 1980s.

I’ve bought so much AR stuff and it all bolts on without issue. Ok you have to be careful of milspec or commercial stuff in some cases and with some parts, but generally it’s no problem. 
With most shotguns, at least the ones we might use, such interchangeability is inconceivable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Alas John, No I don't have that Perazzi now. But that's life mate. I've forgotten how many lovely guns I've had over the years! Now have a deposit on a very old C3 trap gun. 
Well Les as you know its the geezer behind the gun that does the shooting. I shoot with a guy who shoots a very old B25 trap ... and he is seldom out of the prizes and has won major medals. Thing about these guns is like Perazzi's they are proper quality handmade guns.

Well Les as you know its the geezer behind the gun that does the shooting. I shoot with a guy who shoots a very old B25 trap ... and he is seldom out of the prizes and has won major medals. Thing about these guns is like Perazzi's they are proper quality handmade guns.
I have to say John, I’ve always fancied a B25, but I never got around to buying one until now. I’ve shot quite a few over the years though. 

Blaser F3?   Interchangeable barrels - same action, no visit to a gunsmith required.   Not the most beautiful action ever with trunnion heads protruding from the sides and a hole in the floor too but nonetheless still beautifully made. 

Back in the day I tried Brownings but for reasons I'm unsure of just never got on with them.  I did have for a while some serious ST-100 lust but it never happened.  I suspect that had I more of an awareness of gun-fitting then things may have been quite different. 

Way too late now that I've drunk so much of the Perazzi kool-aid.  

Back