Trap / DTL etiquette

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRINITY

Hi guys , just a bit of light discussion during lockdown.

I am a novice in shooting terms compared to the majority of you. Got into DTL recently and very early on an experienced shooter pointed something out to me. He told me it was good manners and etiquette not to throw the cartridge into the bin before the next shooter to your right has taken the shot. I have no problem with this and I totally agree with the principal. However I have now shot at a few grounds and they all place the empty bucket to your right. Surely it would be much better if the bucket was on the left. It would solve this issue. I am not at a standard where someone lobbing their empties into the bucket worries me. But I have seen some shooters who get a bit wound up if it happens to them. Putting the bucket to the left 'up stream ' would solve the problem as to what some class as inconsiderate practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I just don't bother anymore. You have taken your shot and you empty your gun you can quite rightly put your fired cartridges into the waste bin provided. The person about to take their shot should not be affected by that, provided you do it in a sensible way. I have seen clots who insist on throwing their empties in with such aggression and  force they make a din and also sometimes bounce out of the bin. I watched a French shooter warned by the referee because of the manner in which he was throwing his empties away... there are arseholes out there. 

Used cartridges thrown into some types of bin can set the acoustic release off as they rattle about.  Most right handed people will remove spent cartridges with their right hand, so bin on the right is fairly normal.

I prefer the bin on my right, I find it catches more spent cartridges from my right handed auto    !    :whistle:

I shot the English open ABT at Bywell one year and the person before me throw his cases in the bin when I was about to call, this set the target off and did cost me a few loses. Tosser with no manners.

• Thanks
Reactions: ips
I shot the English open ABT at Bywell one year and the person before me throw his cases in the bin when I was about to call, this set the target off and did cost me a few loses. Tosser with no manners.
Agree with that. Always best to wait. 👍

• Thanks
Used cartridges thrown into some types of bin can set the acoustic release off as they rattle about.  Most right handed people will remove spent cartridges with their right hand, so bin on the right is fairly normal.
Am I doing it wrong then. I am right handed after I have shot my right hand is around the stock . My right thumb opens the the gun and my right hand continues to support the broken gun. My left hand removes the cartridges. If I have it wrong fair enough. But I am sure the spent case is removed with my left hand.

If that is the case would then be easier to place them to the left away from the next shooter

I have found that if I'm aware of what the previous shooter is doing, I'm not concentrating and usually miss. TBH I can concentrate and still miss.

Am I doing it wrong then. I am right handed after I have shot my right hand is around the stock . My right thumb opens the the gun and my right hand continues to support the broken gun. My left hand removes the cartridges. If I have it wrong fair enough. But I am sure the spent case is removed with my left hand.

If that is the case would then be easier to place them to the left away from the next shooter
It’s kinda difficult to explain how it’s done really. I’m right handed and flip the lever with my right hand. But I catch the shells in my right hand as well. Basically your left hand supports and pulls down the tubes once the gun starts to open.  You need to watch a few guys doing it. Most of us do it the same way. 

It’s kinda difficult to explain how it’s done really. I’m right handed and flip the lever with my right hand. But I catch the shells in my right hand as well. Basically your left hand supports and pulls down the tubes once the gun starts to open.  You need to watch a few guys doing it. Most of us do it the same way. 
Les it's possible I may do the same. Its months since we shot and hard to remember exactly. Like another poster has said catching the empties is something you dont even think about or concentrate on it's just a natural thing. 

Les it's possible I may do the same. Its months since we shot and hard to remember exactly. Like another poster has said catching the empties is something you dont even think about or concentrate on it's just a natural thing. 
Yep it just becomes part of a routine, done unconsciously. 

It's bad form for all the reasons stated above, catch em hold em wait until next shooter has shot then bin them.

As an aside and total digression the thing that put me off the most during an OT comp even more than empties being thrown into the bin was the shooter before me who gave up, literally gave up after ten targets and just called for target without even raising the gun.....very bad form everyone that witnessed it was of the same impression however nobody could find anything in the rules that said you had to shoot.....go figure......I digress 🤣

I can't remember where the bullet things go.  😐

• Haha
A couple of times I have shot starting on peg 5.  this makes you the last to shoot and sometimes I have been put off by the person who started off on peg1 especially on the last shot of the line. I find it irritating when they are inpatient  after they have finished shooting and just shuffle and mess around . Then again in all fairness I find the majority still respect the others are still waiting to shoot.

I have also shot a line of ball trap with a line of 6 . I got a bit fed up of the bloke stood right behind me who couldn't wait to get onto my peg. He seemed to be getting as close to me as he could and was never still. It was only a practice round so I let it pass. 

The strangest most annoying thing ive come across was at a ot comp squaded with a gang who normally shoot dtl .first five no problem till i start the second five and something isnt right?so after another three the penny drops!! All the mics have moved (OT rules state you cant move the mics) so now im thinking well whoever's doing it doesnt know the rule so ill put them back and not make a fuss.Now back to the fourth go round and they are back to the wrong position again🙈.So after i asked them to own up and one said ho we always move em in dtl.

The ref never noticed mics moving but the bugger managed to notice my misses😲

• Haha
A couple of times I have shot starting on peg 5.  this makes you the last to shoot and sometimes I have been put off by the person who started off on peg1 especially on the last shot of the line. I find it irritating when they are inpatient  after they have finished shooting and just shuffle and mess around . Then again in all fairness I find the majority still respect the others are still waiting to shoot.

I have also shot a line of ball trap with a line of 6 . I got a bit fed up of the bloke stood right behind me who couldn't wait to get onto my peg. He seemed to be getting as close to me as he could and was never still. It was only a practice round so I let it pass. 
In any fast trap (ABT, OT, UT), you never move until your next peg is clear. 

You move between pegs when the next peg has shot,not when they have moved,they have to vacate as soon as there next peg has shot.
Sorry Paul, yeah that’s what I meant, I worded it badly! 😖😂 It’s me age! 😂

Back