So... What do we think of squadded shoots?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westward

ShootClay Supporter
I've decided I quite like the squad system and as the rule of 6 will be around for some time yet there'll no doubt be plenty more squadded shoots. I know it means committing in advance and being obligated to turn up, even if the weather's sh*te or you just don't feel like shooting so there are pros and cons.

From a ref's point of view it's a lot better as you get to see every target on the course and there aren't any bonkers periods with a constant queue backing up for what can be several hours.

It all just seems more relaxed and professional.

Don't mind so much in the summer, when you know the weather is probably going to be tolerable.  In the winter I think it's a pain.  I'd much rather be able to just decide on the morning of the shoot whether to go or not, depending on the weather.

I quite like the idea of squaded shoots. You know your start time, and generally there are no holdups or queueing  It's just awkward having to book in, and get a decent start time, especially as a squad of 6, as in our group at the moment. It will be interesting to see what happens after 21st June (at the earliest) when pre-booking becomes optional. I wonder how many grounds will go back to free for all (regulations permitting) or keep the squading system. Like Bebo says it's a pain in bad weather, as you feel obliged to turn up after booking up, rather than deciding on the morning. Luckily though this last lockdown has been through the winter months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much prefer the squadded format personally, seems more relaxed and enjoyable

For most of the Reg comps I shoot I usually have to drive almost half way around the M25 as part of the trip.  This can result in my journey time varying hugely.  I always allow an extra hour over what it should take, but sometimes even that isn't enough.  It's bloody stressful when you hit a bad delay and think you'll miss your start time.  That's the other thing I dislike about them.

Same for us Bebo, we’ve got 20 miles before we hit the M25 and J5 is always manic and don’t get me started on the Tunnel, whilst working I do that journey every day and it’s a nightmare.  If I’m booked in I feel I should go unless I can give them notice and they can get someone to take my place.  Having my own salon it’s a nightmare when people don’t turn up, no call or text etc and you know you could’ve filled that space easily so I can understand why the ground owners like this system but I must admit if you get stuck in traffic and you end up running late your wound up before you even start then I don’t enjoy the day.  

Same for us Bebo, we’ve got 20 miles before we hit the M25 and J5 is always manic and don’t get me started on the Tunnel, whilst working I do that journey every day and it’s a nightmare.  If I’m booked in I feel I should go unless I can give them notice and they can get someone to take my place.  Having my own salon it’s a nightmare when people don’t turn up, no call or text etc and you know you could’ve filled that space easily so I can understand why the ground owners like this system but I must admit if you get stuck in traffic and you end up running late your wound up before you even start then I don’t enjoy the day.  
Yes, I've got the A21 to deal with before the M25, same as you except more of it as I'm further south.  The bit of that which go wrong easiest is all the single carriageway part of it south of Pembury - regularly delays there as if someone has an accident or breaks down it invariably blocks the whole carriageway.

My worst delay last year though was up near Tonbridge.  Big smash shut the entire northbound A21 and we were all diverted through the town.  Added 90 minutes to the journey, ended up joining my squad at EJC at Stand 4. They were on their last shooter, I'd dashed to catch them up and had to shoot straight away.  Amazingly only dropped 1 clay.  EJC were brilliant and sent someone out with me to shoot the 3 stands I missed at the start.

Squadded shoots are really good for hassle free shooting, but you do lose the flexibility which people above have spoken about above. We have/ had the polar opposite local to us of the experience of free for all shoots.

If anyone has shot orston, it really lends its self to free for all shoots, two rows of stand only 50 yards apart looking opposite ways down a long field. We shoot all the empty stands one way and then fill in all the gaps on the way back, hopping from one side to another if needs be. Can usually get done this way in a couple of hours. So it can be shot easily in either format.

Where as when Grimsthorpe was on the go it was an absolute pig for delays at stands. One big circle with people going round either way, usually with enormous queues around the halfway mark. 20 odd years ago it would be quite common to have a 30 to 45 minute wait at just one stand about half way round. This ground really lended itself to the booking system and squads. The fitasc shoots there though we really out of this world, proper full day out but decent old school targets.

I like squaded, you know where you are in terms of start time and getting round. Many a time on the open system I have lost concentration after doing all the stand dodging but still coming across one with a 20 min plus wait.

For me there is also the benefit of meeting different people. Last time I shot Northampton it was just Micky Rouse and me. He shot 96 and me 69. I always think you can learn from the very good shots. I must admit on rare occasions it can work the other way remembering one guy who loudly never shut up the whole round and drove me to distraction.

Squaded shoots offer the best for all parties involved by eliminating unknowns 

I enjoy the squaded system for the big shoots  but i wouldnt want it like that for every registered shoot. 

If its blowing a gail and lashing it down on a Sunday morning I dont want to feel presured into going because i have booked in. However, I do appreciate that it is advantageous to the ground owner to know in advance how many they have coming. 

I enjoy the squaded system for the big shoots  but i wouldnt want it like that for every registered shoot. 

If its blowing a gail and lashing it down on a Sunday morning I dont want to feel presured into going because i have booked in. However, I do appreciate that it is advantageous to the ground owner to know in advance how many they have coming. 
Exactly how I feel, it’s good for getting back into shooting as more controlled and I like it for the bigger shoots and championships etc but that’s about it.  FItasc is always squadded and you knew the times you were shooting etc same as compac/sporttrap but if I’m getting up early every day don’t necessarily want that on my day off!

One of the reasons why I practically gave up doing Sunday fixtures was I could not justify to family spending 4hrs plus crawling round a shoot. One broken trap and before you knew it you were in a queue 25 deep. Apart form the aggravation of having to wait I would loose all concentration. I am a great fan of squaded shoots. On average at Owls and Churchill’s you are finished in less than two hours, plus no long queues. Means you can plan your day and less ear ache from the Mrs. I appreciate it requires a bit more commitment from the shooter having to book in advance but this again helps ground owners plan for shoots. Long may they continue.

I hated squadded shoots but have come to see the benefits, a more structured day and no silly concentration haemorrhaging queues. However you do get in the odd silly squad with some who do more talking than shooting, people insisting on having a full blown conversation at the side of the cage whilst I’m shooting really spoil my day. Also if it becomes the norm I think it would pretty much convince me to lay up over winter as I don’t like letting people down but on the other hand wouldn’t want to commit to having to drive a 150+ mile round trip to shoot in the driving rain in the middle of November either. Pros and cons to both formats I guess.

Well, we all agree squadded is great apart from last minute decision making about going at all. One thing is for sure, squadded is the only way we can shoot in the coming months, so on that basis I will take it! 4 weeks and counting..

Well, we all agree squadded is great apart from last minute decision making about going at all. One thing is for sure, squadded is the only way we can shoot in the coming months, so on that basis I will take it! 4 weeks and counting..
Us too Will, cannot wait to get out for a practice,  bring it on and the fact that I can’t reopen the salon until 14th April for me at earliest is great, I get to do some shooting in the week!  We’ve just booked our vaccinations, 1st next week and 2nd beginning of April, cannot wait to see everyone

West Kent open on the 29th, Donna.  You can get straight out for some practice!  I'm probably going to sneak half a days leave in and head up there during the first week.  Expect I'll keep a fairly low profile over the Easter weekend - can see everywhere being really busy.

Exactly how I feel, it’s good for getting back into shooting as more controlled and I like it for the bigger shoots and championships etc but that’s about it.  FItasc is always squadded and you knew the times you were shooting etc same as compac/sporttrap but if I’m getting up early every day don’t necessarily want that on my day off!
Donna, you can always book on a later start time for your squad ☺️ ......my new ground, Redricks Sporting Clays is 20 mins from the M25 as you join the M11.

Back