Shooting Grounds

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino

I have trouble walking due to arthritis in my hip. I shot Garlands and struggled to walk round. Can anyone tell me if Westfield near cheltenham is a longer or shorter walk around the course please.

I have trouble walking due to arthritis in my hip. I shot Garlands and struggled to walk round. Can anyone tell me if Westfield near cheltenham is a longer or shorter walk around the course please.
I’ve actually not done Garlands, but while Westfield is a superb ground, it’s a good walk round the course and with hills up and down. Not the easiest I would say. 

From recollection, Garlands is a fairly flat ground. If you struggled to get round there, you will struggle at Westfield. Westfield is situated on the side of a hill, which is a fairly steady incline going from stand one, but does increase in steepness as you progress. Once at the top it is flat for a few stands across the top, and then a fairly steep, in places, drop back down. Great bit of ground to shoot on though.

From recollection, Garlands is a fairly flat ground. If you struggled to get round there, you will struggle at Westfield. Westfield is situated on the side of a hill, which is a fairly steady incline going from stand one, but does increase in steepness as you progress. Once at the top it is flat for a few stands across the top, and then a fairly steep, in places, drop back down. Great bit of ground to shoot on though.
Thanks guys. Can you remember how they compare distance wise

Thanks guys. Can you remember how they compare distance wise
I've only ever shot major comps at Garlands, and that was a few years ago now, so I have no idea of the layout on a normal registered at Garlands. Sorry I can't be of much use on the comparison of distance for you.

Westfield is easily half to three quarters of a mile around the course, garlands probably half a mile, but it’s on the flat.

If i was you i would buy and use a mobility scooter, i have to use a Wheelchair 24/7

have a look at the excellent website englishsportingclays.co.uk and compare their videos from both grounds to see for yourself, Ben regularly posts his videos on here as well 

Garlands - only been the once, its a bit of a trek, for walking around the ground is as flat as a pancake, cannot think of any other registered sporting ground Ive been to thats as flat to walk around.  Westfield as MrTipper says has a fair yomp up a hill, the rather decent clubhouse is at the bottom of said hill so no matter what ( even pre Covid no squadding shoot in any order / direction ) first “ half “ is uphill, up is a steady incline but add gun / full kit bag etc the stop & wait at stands is very welcome. Distance wise the course I shot at Garlands felt about the same as Westfield, but as before place is dead flat. As a Gloucester lad am rather biased, out of the two Westfield (which Ive always “struggled at”) is by far the more attractive setting for a shooting ground. 

Kegworth is fairly flat but quite spread out. Might be worth ringing around before travelling to se if any of the grounds have a motorised buggy type thing you might be able to borrow.

Hope you don’t take offence at this suggestion, it’s meant the right way if your mobility is affected. 

Ian 

I have seen shooters using golf carts at High Lodge to get around there course 

Garlands is definitely easier to walk around than Westfield.

Hi Dino 

orston is a flat ground but is a fair walk round I think you can pre book a golf cart to get round ……

but be better phoning if you ever go though 

Luke 

Griffin Lloyd has a drive around course so may suit your needs
It can be driven around, but you still need to park at certain points and walk to the stands,especially on the top section and their quite spaced out then. Still not the best for walking if your having problems with mobility

Latest posts

Back