The EU to put 20% tax on Cartridges on this Monday 1st March 2021

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Nash

Just Heard today from Gunshop, the EU will be putting 20% Tax on Cartridges on the 1st March 2021. Any of you heard ????

Well a quick Google doesn't bring anything up, where did you hear it from, a friend of a friend of a friend 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
Well a quick Google doesn't bring anything up, where did you hear it from, a friend of a friend of a friend 😉
Allan Wright Gunshop March Cambridgshire. And Phillip Throrrold Barrow Heath clay ground 

I'll let a few others really comment on this before I make some stupid Brexit/Pro Europe fopar which prompts an unnecessary argument.

It would be nice to have some independent confirmation & sufficient info to know how it will affect the UK if correct; is the tax on sale, manufacture, export etc.

I am a little surprised there is only talk of it two days before it is implimented. I would be a bit pissed if it is correct & I was in the mainland EU.

I'll let a few others really comment on this before I make some stupid Brexit/Pro Europe fopar which prompts an unnecessary argument.

It would be nice to have some independent confirmation & sufficient info to know how it will affect the UK if correct; is the tax on sale, manufacture, export etc.

I am a little surprised there is only talk of it two days before it is implimented. I would be a bit pissed if it is correct & I was in the mainland EU.
Well, it is on Pigeon Watch a 20% INCREASE on all Cartridges from the EU.

I'm a long time member of Pigeon Watch and haven't read any such information on there, Just Cartridges have intimated cartridge prices are going up but that's all. 

As far as I'm aware you're banned from PW aren't you Joe Nash? so how would you know what's being said on that forum. 

I'm a long time member of Pigeon Watch and haven't read any such information on there, Just Cartridges have intimated cartridge prices are going up but that's all. 

As far as I'm aware you're banned from PW aren't you Joe Nash? so how would you know what's being said on that forum. 
From a friend of a friend of a friend 🤣

FWIW - coming from the continental side - last week I ordered some goods (not ammo tho) from UK - and had to pay 20% Import VAT (from UK to EU) + Customs administration fee 5 €...and that is bad - since I got quite some great deals over at your side so far...

Looks like additional 20% VAT betwenn EU and UK will be the norm...sadly, since I was shooting Hull so far but with 20% rise I will have to look for something continental in the future. And looking at the things your ammunition dealers have already jumped the wagon and put some raise to UK ammo immediately...bugger...

This is the contentious comment.

If 'VAT' is to be (double) appied between the UK & Europe, are the UK manufacturers bumping prices up to take that "markup" themselves. That would explain Express' increase.

It might take a few months to level out but the logical thing would be for UK cartridges to be cheaper in the long run as you won't be paying the (extra) tax out of Europe.

I purchased something from Germany,not shoting related, and the German seller removed the German vat and ebay then put on the UK vat fee, collected by ebay for the UK government.

You shouldn't pay two lots of vat

As someone who worked for a shipping import and export company for many years, I can assure you that VAT isn’t charged by the exporter. When goods are submitted for customs clearance any duty that is due is added to the purchase value and then import VAT is added to that cost. The clearing agent will then charge for doing this paperwork

Ebay under £125 are doing the collecting for HMRC, the EU seller should show the price ex their vat, ebay is just doing the collecting. Some chinese sites if you put it into your basket with show the price plus the vat to be paid.

The days of cheap going under the radar and hope not to be caught with the vat charge are on the way out by the looks

There is a lot of mis information out there and this sounds like some of it. What we are definitely seeing is that there is confusion about VAT and import duties payable on goods travelling between the UK and EU countries. For example here in France if I buy something from the UK there are a few ways that this transaction can take place. One of them is buying from a company that has a business hub in an EU country here the norm is the price you see is the price you pay as the company has factored in all the payable taxes. The other way is buying from a supplier who simply stuff the goods in package and sends them to you. Here things are very much different and some people on both sides of the water have had bad experiences, because VAT and in some instances import taxes are due. Now that would be OK if all that happened was there was just a bill for VAT and import duty but in most cases there is an uncomfortably large slice of payment as an admin charge from the carrier who will be the collector of these taxes. Here we  see a situation were VAT collection for say €0.50 costing €21.50 because the carrier charges €21 handling fees... that's a stinger for €0.50 of VAT 🤣

With respect to the cartridges there could be extra to pay by importers for import duties they did not have to pay before when UK was in the EU but I doubt this would be 20%, regardless if they have to pay import duty then that will find its way to the shooter buying the cartridges.

Ebay under £125 are doing the collecting for HMRC, the EU seller should show the price ex their vat, ebay is just doing the collecting. Some chinese sites if you put it into your basket with show the price plus the vat to be paid.

The days of cheap going under the radar and hope not to be caught with the vat charge are on the way out by the looks
As I say in my post most people would not mind the addition of VAT to the cost of something bought from overseas it is a legitimate charge. For me the stinger is the collection fees being charged by carriers. As said you buy something for €10 so have €2 VAT to pay but end up paying more than €22 ! As you have pointed out some companies are already doing the VAT collection... that is fine if you are VAT registered, I was wanting to buy something from a none registered supplier who just told me it was more hassle than it was worth to send it out to me.

I certainly sympathize with you folks.  VAT is such a bogus pile of BS!  We don't have that here as yet and it has been attempted many times - - - but the lure of free $ for the politicos to piss away will not be denied forever I'm sure.

maybe you can get some active sorta people together and storm Parliament 

just a thot

But every time I’ve been to the states there is an added sales tax on everything I’ve purchased over the counter is there not ?  I’m always hacked off at the checkout in a Bass Pro or Cabellas  when my mass shopping spree gets another forty or fifty dollars added .  
VAT is just a way of showing the gross taxed price of a product , rather than the nett price pre sales tax .  OK on average one of your States sales  tax  in a shop is always lower than our VAT.  Different country different way of doing things . Whether we get value from the government for our taxation is another matter 

The VAT here, as I have understood it, was to ensure that the "rich" pay that bit extra that they can so obviously afford to do on expensive products.  Or on identified "luxury" (a wonderfully loose word) goods.  Conceivably water, beans, and rice might become the food staples and any other food item would be a luxury.  It would be in addition to price/local sales tax/state sales tax.  That has so far failed to gain any traction but the talk about a federal "wealth tax" is really a potentially fearsome thing.  Fortunately I suspect that I'll be long gone before it would matter but those definitions of "wealth" are just soooooo flexible over time

Whether we get value from the government for our taxation is another matter 
I'll go out on a limb here, at least in the USA, and suggest that the value received is somewhat (another sliding scale, eh?) less than might be hoped for.  And the only lessness that I would anticipate would be that of the value 

Latest posts

Back