English open Barbury 12-16th May

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

I see the cpsa have announced the English open will be at Barbury this year. Little bit of a trek for a lot of the country, but will hopefully be worth the journey.

No matter where any of the majors are held, it will always be a bit of a trek for someone. At least it is only 5 minutes off the M4. Not as bad as sticking stuff right out on the east coast though. 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder that bookings open soon for this competition, and I'm sure people are aware that this is now being held on the 19th-23rd May, and not the 12th-16th.

We've got weigh up if it's going to be worth a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive each way to shoot it. The british is closer this year for us, but North Lincs to Swindon is a fair old hike. Anybody shot Barbury much, would it be worth the trip?

We've got weigh up if it's going to be worth a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive each way to shoot it. The british is closer this year for us, but North Lincs to Swindon is a fair old hike. Anybody shot Barbury much, would it be worth the trip?
We don’t shoot it as much as we’d like as it’s a fair trek for us BUT it’s worth the trek. Good targets, facilities and a variety of targets you don’t see often.  We get there a couple of times a year and we’ve never been disappointed. 

I shoot there quite often as it's local to me, in fact will be there tomorrow for a practice. They have just spent a fortune on a completely new clubhouse and gunroom, and acquired some more ground. The targets are always a good variety and can be testing. Would it be worth the trip? That's the question, facility wise, yes, shoot wise well that depends, because no matter what the shoot is like, some will say it was good, some will say it was sh*te, as it is with all these majors, you will never please everyone.

We don’t shoot it as much as we’d like as it’s a fair trek for us BUT it’s worth the trek. Good targets, facilities and a variety of targets you don’t see often.  We get there a couple of times a year and we’ve never been disappointed. 

I shoot there quite often as it's local to me, in fact will be there tomorrow for a practice. They have just spent a fortune on a completely new clubhouse and gunroom, and acquired some more ground. The targets are always a good variety and can be testing. Would it be worth the trip? That's the question, facility wise, yes, shoot wise well that depends, because not matter what the shoot is like, some will say it was good, some will say it was sh*te, as it is with all these majors, you will never please everyone.
Thanks for the responses, will have to give it some serious consideration. We travel to shoot the essex each year and its about the same for us really distance and time wise. Thanks folks

Jonny, I’ve always enjoyed their shoots, we shot there last year for one of the challenges and as Tiptop states, some like it, some don’t. There will always be a few stands that are hard but that sorts the places out I reckon! Last year there was one stand that was a L-R crosser, a long way out and a very close incomer. We didn’t see anyone hit the long crosser, and the ref said that a certain ground owner only shot 5/8.  I shot 7/8 and dropped the last close bird!  It’s a bit like the Essex, a huge variety of stands and targets, some grouse butts, etc, some you’ll like, some you won’t.  They normally have good food and free tea/coffee etc.  I just wish I lived nearer to Barbury. 

was stand 15 a difficult one?
Yes!  But saying that I hit 3 and the hubby hit 7.  Ref said he had never put so many noughts on score cards before.  

We shot yesterday and having time to reflect it was a good but stiff course made harder by the weather.  We had sun, thunder, lightening and lashings of rain. Stupidly I took my waterproofs off 10 mins before shooting as it was brilliant sunshine - big mistake.  Got wet and cold but as I said before a good course.  It’s the English so it was going to be a bit harder but it was a proper old fashioned (think of Southdown years ago) sporting event.   Lots of long targets with O/R fast close targets etc.  What I liked is that you could see every target, even for us shorties in the grouse butts.  Didn’t shoot particularly well, had a good start but I didn’t come away feeling cheated because I couldn’t see anything, just got beaten by good targets not seen in a while.  Saw some really good shots struggling at times yesterday and looking at scores I think there was only 10 or so that scored over 100.  Enjoy!

So what presentations are stand 10 and 15?
Stand 15 is left to right which is 40yds out and never gets more than 20 ft off the ground on report a right to left rabbit that again is 40 yards out, shot from the side of a 40ft trailer. Stand 10 I think, can’t be completely sure is a right to left crosser from a tower probably around 45 yards, on report a fairly straight forward left to right looper

Stand 10 is a going away from the right of you but high up and going away and on report a looper from left.

Stand 15 you are standing in a trailer and first target is from left off the ground travelling right and curling but a long way away and on report a rabbit from right which is also a fair way out.  

We watched 2 squads on stand 10, then our squad and the squad behind us (24 shooters) and the one off the tower was only hit twice! 

Latest posts

Back