Rituals, ticks and other idiosyncrasies

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

Funny discussion came up about a funny little tick that I share with another shooter and got on to the subject of other idiosyncrasies we have and have seen in others.

I’m a fore-end finger flicker. I flick my fingers against the fore-end two or three times before I shoulder the gun and then maybe another couple of times before I call pull. It’s not something I’m at all conscious of.

More of a ritual as I am conscious of it, but feels like I have genuine reason to do it, but maybe it’s a placebo is my habit of scraping the ground with my boots to make sure I’m standing on a smooth flat surface. It’s like princess and the pea gone shooting.

Another weird thing that happens every now and then is I flinch. It’s not recoil. It’s slight picture. Once in a while when the sight picture doesn’t look quite right to me (though instructor looking over shoulder says it’s perfect) I literally cannot pull the trigger!

Don't think I’ve any other weirdness going on. Well, not shooting related anyway.

I know a few shooters rotate their cartridges. Anthony Materese Jr does for sure, whilst rocking to and fro.

So, what idiosyncrasies do you have (that your willing to admit)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you me?

I also do a sort of flinch when I subconsciously know that the gun isn't in the right place.

scuff theground to clear empty cases but I think thats quite common , shame when there is a bin right there sooo many just eject all over the place, watched with amusement as wife shot ,ejected on floor husband dutifully picked all her cases and binned them..every stand !

Funny discussion came up about a funny little tick that I share with another shooter and got on to the subject of other idiosyncrasies we have and have seen in others.

I’m a fore-end finger flicker. I flick my fingers against the fore-end two or three times before I shoulder the gun and then maybe another couple of times before I call pull. It’s not something I’m at all conscious of.

More of a ritual as I am conscious of it, but feels like I have genuine reason to do it, but maybe it’s a placebo is my habit of scraping the ground with my boots to make sure I’m standing on a smooth flat surface. It’s like princess and the pea gone shooting.

Another weird thing that happens every now and then is I flinch. It’s not recoil. It’s slight picture. Once in a while when the sight picture doesn’t look quite right to me (though instructor looking over shoulder says it’s perfect) I literally cannot pull the trigger!

Don't think I’ve any other weirdness going on. Well, not shooting related anyway.

I know a few shooters rotate their cartridges. Anthony Materese Jr does for sure, whilst rocking to and fro.

So, what idiosyncrasies do you have (that your willing to admit)?
Interesting one this. I always push my glasses up my nose before mounting the gun. There’s absolutely no need as they never slip but I’ve done it for years.

When I shoot skeet I always brush the slab with my foot but only on pegs 1, 7 & 8. This began as a means to make sure I’m not standing on clay debris but I find myself doing it even if there isn’t any.

It’s surprising how may strange idiosyncrasies you see, especially amongst trap shooters. I know one competitor who, when changing pegs, stands at the back of the slab with both feet together, leans their upper body over their gun as if they’re bowing then steps forward into the correct position. They do it without thought every time I see them. Odd that.

I wipe the corners of my mouth and the push my glasses up (they never move) everytime, all part of my one shot routine. (Trap shooting).

Funny thing is, I even do it when mounting/trying a gun in a shop. If I don't, it just doesn't feel right.

Archers do a similar thing they call it a shot cycle, such as the way they nock the arrow, grip the bow, it's to clear the mind and get repeatability into the shot something clay shooters might want to think about, me personally I have trouble seeing the clay let alone setting up a mantra 

I believe the acronym used in shooting sports is "PSR" for pre-shot-routine and I never considered it a bad thing. In precision rifle shooting, having a fixed routine that let's you focus on what matters is almost essential. While clays arguably grant a little more leeway (a chip being as good as dust) I am still working on a "PSR". Just so that I focus on the right bits and clear my mind thinking "pick up here, shoot there etc". When stepping onto the slab and loading the gun, I tend to check my stance and adjust my feet in an apparently funny way, twist the second cartridge to read "Clever" (as I shoot Mirage) in the same orientation as the top barrel as I load, and then bounce the stock of my belly to know it's below the ISSF marker. None of this makes me any smarter 😄

My mate takes the piss out of me for doing this, but isn't aware that he -without fail- quite dramatically reorients his index finger on the exact spot of his forend always, holding the gun practically sideways to visually check, and swaying his bum as he goes from there to his pre-mount. I think the subconscious stuff works best as PSR, as the fact that you aren't aware that you're doing it probably means you're getting in the mind-state you want. 

Totally self-aware now after jotting this down, so will probably muck it all up next time 🤣 

When shooting skeet, I still call PULL (High), (MARK Low),  and TRAP (Pair). I have done this since the days of manual traps and it is now something I find impossible to stop. I still occasionally get caught out when I use an O/U to shoot skeet, I open the gun after the first single target. Old habits DO die hard  !

All part of "process".  I would refer anyone interested stepping up their game to "Zen Golf", by Dr. Joseph Parent.  Do not be distracted by the title as it is actually a definitive treatise on generating and internalizing a process (pre-shot routine) for any game and most definitely applicable to shooting.   I credit it with my return to being able to shoot after the CNS damage I experienced.  

You can thank me later

Charlie

I flinch or "trigger freeze" two or three times during a 100 bird shoot, the gun just doesn't go off when my brain tells it to so I have to squeeze the trigger again. If I'm lucky I'll still hit the the target, more often than not I'll miss. I think it's my brain protesting about recoil although it doesn't consciously bother me that much.

If I think about it I'll spend five minutes in the house, dry firing on snap caps before I go shooting, this does help somewhat. 

Trap shooting..

I used to dip my barells as I called for the target, did this for twenty odd years before a fairly radical style change. I then ended up looking at the side of the action as I closed the gun.... probably did or do other things that I am not even aware of.

Latest posts

Back