Peltor sportac vs Sordin pro x

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJD

Chaps

ive been really impressed with peltor sportac over the old Howard Leight things and the time has come to buy active ear defenders for my youngest (10) as he will start shooting shotguns this year (been using subs through 22).

im minded to either buy more sportac or give hive mine with new seals and buy Sordin pro x for me

Are they worth double the Sordin pro? I don’t mind the cost of anything if it’s worth the extra, but I’m very aware that a lot of shooting stuff is marginal difference, despite how good the sponsorship budget.

See the other post, but I would say yes as the cost difference per year is small, regardless of how they feel etc which you can try on a test pair. For many, only the Sordin shape avoids bumping the stock. And again, it’s likely SWATCOM as the latest manufacturer. 

Having had both I prefer the Peltor Sportac . Personally had issues with Sordins bumping on the stock which doesn`t happen with the Sportacs and don`t notice a difference in sound quality.Hth.

Thanks Guys, sorry for the slight repetition 

How often do you replace the gel kits? I replace the foam on my sportac ⅔ times per year which is fine at £7 per go but would make gels look expensive to feed...

How often do you replace the gel kits? I replace the foam on my sportac ⅔ times per year which is fine at £7 per go but would make gels look expensive to feed...
I first bought the gel pads about 7 years ago and I have replaced them.. err.. never. I did swap them over L/R to assist with not taking a shape but that’s it. They don’t rot like sponge pads. 😀

Having had both I prefer the Peltor Sportac . Personally had issues with Sordins bumping on the stock which doesn`t happen with the Sportacs and don`t notice a difference in sound quality.Hth.
I am right handed and position the buttons on the right as the profile is cut out there (so technically wearing the headphones backwards). Never hit the stock. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I first bought the gel pads about 7 years ago and I have replaced them.. err.. never. I did swap them over L/R to assist with not taking a shape but that’s it. They don’t rot like sponge pads. 😀
Thanks Will! Sounds like they are a good option.

Have been really pleased with my Sordin Pro X and have been impressed with the sound quality even when it's windy.

As has been said, the gel pads are better at retaining form than the foam pads. I shoot quite often and have yet to wear out my first pair. Cross referencing threads, the MSA/Sordin are well available from outlets like doublealpha.biz - cheaper can be had but their customer service is hard to beat.

Are they worth twice the price ? Well they are a full mil-spec system , and they will withstand a soaking that will kill lesser brands .  All the technical and quality points have been covered by the guys above so I won’t add anymore .  On the comfort front they are the best I’ve worn . Mine came from Starkey Headsets . Good people to deal with and they’ll honour the 5 year warranty , which is a consideration before using a discounter . 

Are they worth double the Sordin pro?
No.
Here the price difference between Pro and Pro X is around €35.
Not having to worry about weather conditions was the reason I decided to go for the Pro X.

I had my doubts about spending this amount of money, but never regretted the choice.
Battery life is fantastic, so you don’t have to buy a lot of batteries.

No.
Here the price difference between Pro and Pro X is around €35.
Not having to worry about weather conditions was the reason I decided to go for the Pro X.

I had my doubts about spending this amount of money, but never regretted the choice.
Battery life is fantastic, so you don’t have to buy a lot of batteries.
I think the OP means between the Peltors and the ProX

I started with the Peltors then after a year or so changed to the Pro x. IMHO, the sounds and comfort is worth the extra money on the Pro x. Also, I don't hit my stock when mounting the gun like I did with the Peltors.... possibly my gun mount but I don't have the problem with the Pro x.

However, If you can, I would go for the Swatcom Active 8 (basically the newest version of the Pro x). I think you can get them for £225 and you will have the most up to date cans.

Thanks Nick

i haven’t knocked the stock with peltor, but, that’s made my mind up!

Well after singing MSA Sordins praise my 14month old pair packed up Sunday.Anyone know what their after sales service is like.

For the life of me I can't find the receipt for them, just sent off a email to MSA Sordin hoping there will be a serial number on them to confirm the date and their 5yr warranty

Well after singing MSA Sordins praise my 14month old pair packed up Sunday.Anyone know what their after sales service is like.

For the life of me I can't find the receipt for them, just sent off a email to MSA Sordin hoping there will be a serial number on them to confirm the date and their 5yr warranty
When you say packed up.. what’s wrong? I fixed mine by tweaking the bottom battery terminal slightly. Is the bottom battery a snug fit?

Tried changing the batteries and the bottom one drops in fine and seems tight in there. When I first put them on Sunday and pressed the on button they came on and switched straight off again, tried this three or four times and the same thing. I thought the batteries were dead, carried on wearing them as just ear muffs, later on I tried again and they came on and seemed ok. Thought I'll turn them off and try again, this time they just won't switch on at alI I'm reluctant to strip them down as their only 14mths old and still under the 5yr warranty I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried changing the batteries and the bottom one drops in fine and seems tight in there. When I first put them on Sunday and pressed the on button they came on and switched straight off again, tried this three or four times and the same thing. I thought the batteries were dead, carried on wearing them as just ear muffs, later on I tried again and they came on and seemed ok. Thought I'll turn them off and try again, this time they just won't switch on at alI I'm reluctant to strip them down as their only 14mths old and still under the 5yr warranty I hope.
When you say “drops in”, it should need pressing down with a small rod / screw driver. Mine fell in. Didn’t rattle but didn’t work until i had tweaked the tab and made it a gentle press fit. I made a little wire hook to pull out the tab a little bit. But if yours are under warranty I get handing them back of course. 

Back