Peltor sportac vs Sordin pro x

Chaps

ive been really impressed with peltor sportac over the old Howard Leight things and the time has come to buy active ear defenders for my youngest (10) as he will start shooting shotguns this year (been using subs through 22).

im minded to either buy more sportac or give hive mine with new seals and buy Sordin pro x for me

Are they worth double the Sordin pro? I don’t mind the cost of anything if it’s worth the extra, but I’m very aware that a lot of shooting stuff is marginal difference, despite how good the sponsorship budget.

Will Hewland

See the other post, but I would say yes as the cost difference per year is small, regardless of how they feel etc which you can try on a test pair. For many, only the Sordin shape avoids bumping the stock. And again, it’s likely SWATCOM as the latest manufacturer. 

Garwood

Having had both I prefer the Peltor Sportac . Personally had issues with Sordins bumping on the stock which doesn`t happen with the Sportacs and don`t notice a difference in sound quality.Hth.

Thanks Guys, sorry for the slight repetition 

How often do you replace the gel kits? I replace the foam on my sportac ⅔ times per year which is fine at £7 per go but would make gels look expensive to feed...

Will Hewland
20 minutes ago, RJD said:

How often do you replace the gel kits? I replace the foam on my sportac ⅔ times per year which is fine at £7 per go but would make gels look expensive to feed...

I first bought the gel pads about 7 years ago and I have replaced them.. err.. never. I did swap them over L/R to assist with not taking a shape but that’s it. They don’t rot like sponge pads. 😀

36 minutes ago, Garwood said:

Having had both I prefer the Peltor Sportac . Personally had issues with Sordins bumping on the stock which doesn`t happen with the Sportacs and don`t notice a difference in sound quality.Hth.

I am right handed and position the buttons on the right as the profile is cut out there (so technically wearing the headphones backwards). Never hit the stock. 

2 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

I first bought the gel pads about 7 years ago and I have replaced them.. err.. never. I did swap them over L/R to assist with not taking a shape but that’s it. They don’t rot like sponge pads. 😀

Thanks Will! Sounds like they are a good option.

ColinD

Have been really pleased with my Sordin Pro X and have been impressed with the sound quality even when it's windy.

Luke_(NL)
4 hours ago, RJD said:

As has been said, the gel pads are better at retaining form than the foam pads. I shoot quite often and have yet to wear out my first pair. Cross referencing threads, the MSA/Sordin are well available from outlets like doublealpha.biz - cheaper can be had but their customer service is hard to beat.

MartynB

Are they worth twice the price ? Well they are a full mil-spec system , and they will withstand a soaking that will kill lesser brands .  All the technical and quality points have been covered by the guys above so I won’t add anymore .  On the comfort front they are the best I’ve worn . Mine came from Starkey Headsets . Good people to deal with and they’ll honour the 5 year warranty , which is a consideration before using a discounter . 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, RJD said:

Are they worth double the Sordin pro?

No.
Here the price difference between Pro and Pro X is around €35.
Not having to worry about weather conditions was the reason I decided to go for the Pro X.

I had my doubts about spending this amount of money, but never regretted the choice.
Battery life is fantastic, so you don’t have to buy a lot of batteries.

ColinD
2 hours ago, JDL said:

No.
Here the price difference between Pro and Pro X is around €35.
Not having to worry about weather conditions was the reason I decided to go for the Pro X.

I had my doubts about spending this amount of money, but never regretted the choice.
Battery life is fantastic, so you don’t have to buy a lot of batteries.

I think the OP means between the Peltors and the ProX

20 minutes ago, ColinD said:

I think the OP means between the Peltors and the ProX

Oops, my bad then ☺️

• Like 1
Nick Selby

I started with the Peltors then after a year or so changed to the Pro x. IMHO, the sounds and comfort is worth the extra money on the Pro x. Also, I don't hit my stock when mounting the gun like I did with the Peltors.... possibly my gun mount but I don't have the problem with the Pro x.

However, If you can, I would go for the Swatcom Active 8 (basically the newest version of the Pro x). I think you can get them for £225 and you will have the most up to date cans.