I'm happy to admit that I shoot with an IC choke

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucklogic

Happy to admit that I shoot with a IC choke with 8.5 F3 piston cartridges in my bottom barrel. Top barrel 3/4 with 7.5 Velocity plus. I do alright 

I think that shooting out to 40 yds with an IC is no problem subject to of course to putting in the right area.

You don't need a 3/4 and full combination..

Happy new year everyone

I have discussed this with an experienced trap shooter who I know. His philosophy is ' 100 chips are better than 99 balls of dust'

He would then go onto to explain. Unless you are right up there with the best and can hit everything bang on repeatedly. You will always 'pinch' more Clay's with a lucky edge ,than Clay's that will pass through your pattern unscathed.  

I have discussed this with an experienced trap shooter who I know. His philosophy is ' 100 chips are better than 99 balls of dust'

He would then go onto to explain. Unless you are right up there with the best and can hit everything bang on repeatedly. You will always 'pinch' more Clay's with a lucky edge ,than Clay's that will pass through your pattern unscathed.  
Yes absolutely ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be intresting to see the impact resin clays will have.

Having shot a few at Lakeside, the breaks appeared to be cleaner and more obvious - I wasn't left with the feeling only one pellet had done the job and I was 'lucky'.

If clays break into four peices when hit by one pellet we would all be happy - No more striving for 'great ball of dust'.

It will be intresting to see the impact resin clays will have.

Having shot a few at Lakeside, the breaks appeared to be cleaner and more obvious - I wasn't left with the feeling only one pellet had done the job and I was 'lucky'.

If clays break into four peices when hit by one pellet we would all be happy - No more striving for 'great ball of dust'.
Are corsivia  resin ? , I think they are. I only shoot at Beverley and northern ctc and they both use them. No problem breaking then with no8 and openish choke.

Of the five thousand or so clays I’ve shot at less then 100 have been shot without an experienced coach looking over my shoulder.

Of those 5000 I would hazard a guess I’ve broken 3000 give or take a couple of hundred. So that’s quite a lot of missed targets right?

Of those 3000 or so hits, I’ve been told only twice that my shot was in the right place but the clay didn’t break.

So this leads me to this hypothesis: Worrying about my choke, shot weight/size/hardness is going to have way more negative impact of my confidence and negative impact on my ability to break targets than any fractional gains they may otherwise provide. 

Continuing to learn, develop and practice good techniques will earn hits and instil confidence. I can worry about chokes and cartridges sometime in the future IF I ever start breaking into the 90’s

Not being a trappie my view is worth exactly what it costs, but I wouldn't dream of shooting edgy, going away targets with anything less than ½ choke if score mattered.

I only shoot sporting and haven't used anything less than LM for at least 15years.

I'm pretty certain the Briley chart is for lead - quoting full chokes for steel would be very risky given you have to half the constrictions.

I came across it about 5 years ago before steel was a thing.

Westward makes the important point which I think the chart will confirm - When the clay is edge on and at a distance over 30 yards a tight choke (really) matters. Its the presentation of the clay on edge which makes the difference. With loopers showing the belly or dome the oppersite would be true. If you don't swap between stands, then its a personal choice but my inclination (and I'm very much learning) is that an open choke is better for the average shooter on the average round. If you do swap, I would be tempted to to shoot 1/4 & 1/2 and swap out the 1/2 for a full or xfull (little point in anything less) for those occasions when you need to. Course setters will often present a close up clay and distance clay to create these sort of questions in the shooters mind.

I don't swap chokes so its 3/8 & 5/8 for me as a phychological compromise. I accept that I will miss somthing edge on every so often - could be the chokes but just as likely to be me !!

An open choke is better for the average shooter on the average round. If you do swap, I would be tempted to to shoot 1/4 & 1/2 and swap out the 1/2 for a full or xfull (little point in anything less) for those occasions when you need to.
You’re right to a point. 1/2 and 5/8 is the de facto standard for most nowadays. For faster targets tighten up but I still wouldn’t go to 3/4 and full. A 5/8 and 3/4 is more than adequate. Full and extra full is certainly not necessary.

Quite why you’d swap chokes I’m not sure. Once you know where the gun’s putting the shot and you’re happy with your choke/cartridge combination why change?

Jan - I was referring to the Briley chart and its strong suggestion that open chokes (say 1/4 as pe rthe OP) are more than adequate with a (rare) sudden need for a tight choke when the clay presentation and distance require it. The chart refers to sporting clays and not trap disciplines so apologies for any confusion.

I don't swap chokes (3/8 & 5/8) but if I was a fidget I would carry a full or xfull as it is likley to be the only one I could be arsed thinking might be an option.

Jan - I was referring to the Briley chart and its strong suggestion that open chokes (say 1/4 as pe rthe OP) are more than adequate with a (rare) sudden need for a tight choke when the clay presentation and distance require it. The chart refers to sporting clays and not trap disciplines so apologies for any confusion.

I don't swap chokes (3/8 & 5/8) but if I was a fidget I would carry a full or xfull as it is likley to be the only one I could be arsed thinking might be an option.
your obviously happy with your shooting / averages  so why would you change ?  just saying !   

I shoot 1/4 or I/C in BOTH.  8 shot for most targets, 7/12's for those  er 'illusive' edge on targets, but I always have a box of 'World Cups' in my bag for those few 100 yarders  !  I no longer bother with Comps. or Registered shoots (too much hassle), but still manage 75/80% scores at various grounds.

Back