New license application

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harleyboy69

Hi guys. In the throws of getting a license. Held one quite a few years back. Was wondering how long the process takes now and do the police still require to visit and check the security for the gun. Cheers

Due to covid it's anyones guess how long it takes, some people have been waiting nearly a year, and as far as I'm aware the Firearms officer will still require a vist to check the location of the gun safe and how it's fixed and have a talk to you.

Best thing you can do is get in touch and ask for any advice from them, their usually very helpful in my experiance with any enquiries

You will need to check the process for your area - Started my first time application this week, for Humberside it is now online application only but have to get the medical report from the doctors 1st - dropped in the letter a few days ago and now impatiently waiting for them to let me know they have sent the report before carrying on with the online application.

Slightly different in Wales. Competed the online application yesterday. Have to independently source the gp report via an online download .Then by post. With being a member of basc they said they can help with the gp report system. Have also considered using med cert at a fixed fee of £50.00 to hurry along the application. In this day and age you would of thought all could be arranged via email. Just seems to be the gp side of things that needs to be brought up to date. I will contact the gp on mon see if I can sort it through email but not hopefull.

Hi

I think you’ll find that due to the tier 4 restrictions, sadly a lot of police forces have suspended new grant applications... again!

As to the GP reports, most surgeries will make a charge for them, although there are some on here that have got them for free. Generally, the going rate is around the £50 mark I believe. You might also check with any local grounds to you... some have a ‘friendly’ GP member that offers to do them fast-track for the same sort of fee. There is one I know of in my area that offers the service. BUT... a fast tracked medical report might not get you any further/quicker, as depending on your police force, you might not be able to do anything with it yet!

I’ve not heard of any suspensions on home visits for a new grant, and frankly would never see that happening at all... some forces have suspended a visit for a renewal (only).

Colins advice is spot on... call your local firearms team and ask... most are really friendly and happy to help... but that won’t make it any quicker!

Good luck 👍

Last edited by a moderator:

just checked Kent Police... all new grant applications now suspended. I imagine this will be the case across the country with the new lockdown.

Latest posts

Back