Browning DS Chokes Again

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieBoy

Just joined to say thanks to Geordieboy for his input on the subject. (and other comments). I bought a 725 Promaster 18 months ago and haven't had much chance to shoot it but had some lingering doubts. Having read the thread I put it with some of my own ideas on chokes and pairing. I like to have the same choke in both barrels as an 'average' for a sporting shoot and I arrived some years ago that Light Mod x 2 fitted that bill. I then had the after market choke dilemma. Having read the comments from (in particular) Geordieboy, I bought an additional Imp Mod choke that I was confident was Light Mod (ish, due to the fact I have other guns and even sticking your finger down the hole it seemed nowhere near 3/4). Coupled with this I'd read a gun test (with patterning) that suggested the floating rib was 10/90 cranked right down and 40/60 cranked right up.  So cranked up (apparently 40/60) with two x Imp Mod (which I believe really is Light Mod as suggested), I made decent kills at close and long range practicing at Dartford CTC today. I would normally only use Imp Mod in the top barrel if shooting DTL and not even use it at all in a sporting round. Geordieboy in fairness is a better sporting shot than me (I've checked his scores) but nonetheless for my money what he advocated was excellent from my perspective and experience. I note that Ben Husthwaite thinks 3/8 is the best all round choke on the market and that gives me even more confidence that I'm there or there abouts.  Again thanks to all.

mmmm bit confused !  so the browning factory chokes are not accurate made to spec ?   or is it the way the barrels are made determines the actual choke size ?   how have you determined the pattern from a marked  improved modified  throws a light mod pattern   ??      as i said confused !!  :no:  

There is quite a lot about Browning DS chokes patterns here and other clay forums.

They tend to be more open to what they are marked down as compaired to other chokes, even their own Invector + ones the saying goe

There is quite a lot about Browning DS chokes patterns here and other clay forums.

They tend to be more open to what they are marked down as compaired to other chokes, even their own Invector + ones the saying goe
ok but cartridge choice plays a massive role on actual pattern performance  ,  but we have to start somewhere  ,  and manufactures sizes as marked  on the choke  is my start !   

ok but cartridge choice plays a massive role on actual pattern performance  ,  but we have to start somewhere  ,  and manufactures sizes as marked  on the choke  is my start !   
That's why it's best to pattern then you know, me I'm not that good to worry that at the moment.My two modified in my Prosport stay in for Sporting all the time

mmmm bit confused !  so the browning factory chokes are not accurate made to spec ?   or is it the way the barrels are made determines the actual choke size ?   how have you determined the pattern from a marked  improved modified  throws a light mod pattern   ??      as i said confused !!  :no:  
For what is worth - DS factory chokes measured:

XF = .042
Full = .o38
LF = .o26
IM = .015
M = .009
LM = .004
IC = .002

As you see there is quite a step between IM and LF - those are my prefered chokes for trap.

When patterning - count goes steadily up until LF, after that it starts to drop - cartridge of reference being Hull Sovereign 2.3 mm and Clever Fly High 2.4 mm, patterned at 40 m.

I'm assuming that the measurements below are the constriction form the back of the choke to the front.

The chokes effect will also be dependent on the bore of the gun which might not be the same as the back end of the choke.

Having said this the spread between the various sizes is very poor - Is that intentional on Brownings part I wonder. I certainly wouldn't care about the XF & IC.

I think Browning designed these chokes for the pattern that suits the backboring of the 725 barrels. And just used the same choke indications as other manufacturers to confuse the matter.

Your best to pattern them with the cartridges you use and see, which you should do anyway whatever the make.

I think Browning designed these chokes for the pattern that suits the backboring of the 725 barrels. And just used the same choke indications as other manufacturers to confuse the matter.
Exactly - just follow the designation on the choke and it will be fine.

I certainly wouldn't care about the XF & IC.
Not sure about the XF but IC is just fine - spot on for almost anything inside 35 m - and that is quite some - try it.

IC = .002

That's nothing - its really a cylinder. I'm not sure there is enough choke there to create a reliable pattern.

If it does the job to 35m you wouldn't need anything else.

An IM & LF combo looks ideal to me.

As said - it may be nothing but it prints a true IC pattern - for me as soon as target shows some face inside 35 m it is ok. Of course there are better choices for edge on targets (esp rabbits, battues and minis) on the far side of 35 m. My setup for Fitasc sporting disciplines is IC/IM IM - I like to fiddle with barrel selector and choose the restriction that might be better for the presentation. But if I had to chose the same choke for both barrels, it would be based on worst scenario and it would be IM. IM and LF are my trap setup chokes.

By all means - your mileage may vary.

The only thing that I gather from actual measurements is to pay attention when (if) ordering after market chokes in Cyl-M area, since with "true" constrictions you will get much tighter choke then Browning made theirs.

Here is my pattern target with 1/4 = IC on the right side at 40 m with Hull Sovereign 28 g (it is a tight pattern cartridge tho).

20180429_164622.jpg

I can assure those who may have doubts, that I only shoot I/C in both barrels in my Prosport. Using a mix of 24/28 gram 8's and 71/2's Cheddite cartridges and the occasional World Cups for distant targets. I have used this choke cartridge combination for many years and given age and ailments, I am still happy with my scores. I no longer shoot Competitions and if I did, I may consider 3/8 in both. Seeing as how 3/8 are not available in Browning DS chokes, I am reluctant to spend around £100 for 2 chokes to sit in my range bag, 'just in case' . I have 2 Mod. chokes for use with fibre wads and distant target grounds, but they do not get much use. I do not pattern choke/cartridge combinations,  only because IF there were any 'holes' in the patterns, I would probably be blaming them instead of 'Pilot error' for my misses  !

I have a sort of 'portable choke gauge' which I use a lot and find it to be quite effective. It is my middle finger on my right hand  !       If it goes in only as far as the first joint it's around MOD, if it goes in beyond the first joint but stops short of the second joint, it's around I/C and if it goes all the way in, it's skeet  !    :whistle:    

Just joined to say thanks to Geordieboy for his input on the subject. (and other comments). I bought a 725 Promaster 18 months ago and haven't had much chance to shoot it but had some lingering doubts. Having read the thread I put it with some of my own ideas on chokes and pairing. I like to have the same choke in both barrels as an 'average' for a sporting shoot and I arrived some years ago that Light Mod x 2 fitted that bill. I then had the after market choke dilemma. Having read the comments from (in particular) Geordieboy, I bought an additional Imp Mod choke that I was confident was Light Mod (ish, due to the fact I have other guns and even sticking your finger down the hole it seemed nowhere near 3/4). Coupled with this I'd read a gun test (with patterning) that suggested the floating rib was 10/90 cranked right down and 40/60 cranked right up.  So cranked up (apparently 40/60) with two x Imp Mod (which I believe really is Light Mod as suggested), I made decent kills at close and long range practicing at Dartford CTC today. I would normally only use Imp Mod in the top barrel if shooting DTL and not even use it at all in a sporting round. Geordieboy in fairness is a better sporting shot than me (I've checked his scores) but nonetheless for my money what he advocated was excellent from my perspective and experience. I note that Ben Husthwaite thinks 3/8 is the best all round choke on the market and that gives me even more confidence that I'm there or there abouts.  Again thanks to all.
Cheers for your positive comments on my findings. Another friend of mine is using 3/8th in his Beretta Dt11 and he needs no more. His breaks are awesome.

Latest posts

Back