694/Summit/Zenith

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuffers

Considering one of these 3 guns for sporting clay. An upgrade from my 691 Sporter.

Any feedback from those who have actually used any of these guns is appreciated.

Thanks

Out of interest why do you think the others would be a upgrade on your 691

I have had a Summit Ascent since 2014, gun has good trigger pulls and very little recoil and with an adjustable comb I can get a good fit. No problems with the gun so far, still got a few years of warranty left (10 years) from new.

I haven't tried a 694 but I have tried every other Beretta. Basically, there's very little difference between 6xx family Berettas, especially the later ones. They all have near enough the same barrels and actions. With the higher end models you're really getting more decoration and bragging points rather than a "better" gun.

For me personally, once I'd discovered CGs all interest in Berettas evaporated. I shoot a Challenger which is really a Summit with a wood and engraving upgrade and 

as @SIMON-Bsays, the shooting characteristics and features are superb and IMO unmatched by any other mid range gun.

The Breda might be a decent gun but it's very new into a tough and crowded market. Time will tell if it's any good.

At 694 money you could also consider the Blaser F16 or the Browning XS Pro.

I would ask yourself “Am I going to keep this gun or am I going to change it within a couple of years?” 
Assuming they all fit and feel balanced then the resale value is the only thing that will make a difference and the Beretta will hold its value better than the others. 

and the Beretta will hold its value better than the others. 
Some Berettas will hold their value better than some of the others, but the popular belief that CGs have poor resale is only true for certain models. Likewise there are some unpopular Berettas, typically the 692, that are hard to sell used at any price.

Not sure why but I had a Summit Ascent and the trade in value for the age/condition was way below what I expected for such a little used gun, three gun shops same story, that they have trouble moving them on compaired to Beretta/Browning.

Don't know why as they are very well made guns, as good as any of the above mentioned.

There are some changes with the 694 which have the potential to make a better long term purchase that the earlier 6XX guns and likely to make it better suited to ‘competition’ use. Coles have good (25 mins) review of it. I have held a couple of (lefty) 694 and found them easy to pick up after my 686E. Both had a better (more substantial) feel to them. The 694 has weights for balancing, an adjustable trigger and the adjustable comb adds little weight if you need it.

Is it an upgrade over a 686. For the vast majority no. It may help you fell better and it may make a marginal difference but that’s about it. If there is nothing wrong (balance, barrel length etc) with you 691 then I would be tempted to say any decision to upgrade to a 694 is entirely personal and will do very little for your shooting.

If I was buying without owning a 686 I would go for the 694 over a 686 (funds allowing).

I don’t have a great deal of experience with CG. A good friend had a Maxus Impact (high rib) and the few times I used it I found it was a heavy gun (32 inch, adjustable comb). That was a personal observation however and as much led by my own gun being lighter. He had trouble trading it and that’s my biggest memory. I do think you get a lot for your money and if you find one that works then go for it. I like the look of the Invictus.

Can’t comment on the Zenith at all. Would be interested in hearing others. TGS have done a review.

Westward is right to point out the other alternatives. I tried an F16 and found it a lovely gun – 32 inch barrels. It was light & nimble – perhaps a little too much. It felt good though perhaps a little delicate compared to the 694. Again it can be balanced with additional weight. The Brownings will have their own identity with more central weight which you may or may not want – does the 691 suit you – if it does I expect a Browning will not though that a guess. There are a few to try and it would be a mistake not to handle all of the options.

You need to work out what it is about the 691 that makes you want to change gun. Once you have a better idea of that you will have a better idea of whether the options will suit you.

I have shouldered the Zenith and I must admit I liked it, very low profile action and a feeling of solidity, felt like a good solid gun, but as for longevity time will tell. As for Beretta, I have recently bought a 682 Gold e because I missed my old one so much, read into that what you will. 😉🤔😊

For 694 money  id sooner have a clean used DT10    cant go wrong  and will get what you paid for it many years later 

Shot them all, owned a 694 - stuck with my MK38. Not very helpful I know! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back