If you didn’t, what would you?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

If you didn’t have your current ‘keeper for life’ gun that you have now or indeed do not yet have, what other gun/s would you have instead and why?

If I didn’t have the Blaser’s, I think I’d probably gravitate towards a Perazzi MX8 or High Tech S.
Longthorne, for their barrels appeal to my engineering sensibilities but there’s a lot more that puts me off them.
A Beretta DT11 could be another for my consideration. All these tend to have in common a profile height on the lower side which for me make them feel a little easier to handle.

Love my K80 Parcours. If it broke irretrievably I'd get another but with the black shadow action. If they didn't exist, I think have to carefully at a Blaser F3. I'd certainly consider a Longthorne as well, but the one person I know that has one has had trouble with the ejectors.

Love my K80 Parcours. If it broke irretrievably I'd get another but with the black shadow action. If they didn't exist, I think have to carefully at a Blaser F3. I'd certainly consider a Longthorne as well, but the one person I know that has one has had trouble with the ejectors.
Currently shooting a DT11L and just picked a new miroku mk game 32" 20 bore. Both are absolutely fantastic guns that I can't see me changing anytime soon.

I can however get fully on board with all of Bebo's suggestions above, always had a soft spot for a black action. Only concern with the Longthorne for me is the weight of the barrels, they are possibly a little light for my taste. Always been a little intrigued by C G offerings as well.

I really want a black action gun, it appeals far more than scratchings. I shoot a DT10, but would love a DT11 black edition, or the Perazzi hi tech black(or whatever it’s called) just for looks alone. 
I suspect that I will treat myself to the DT 11 as a retirement pressie in about 5 years. Never owned a new gun, so it really would be a treat.

Just need to get myself up to a level where I don’t look a twerp with a posh gun and no talent. 😂😂

Wouldn't worry about that, I don't! If you want one and can afford it without breaking the bank, f*** what other people think.
Most folks are too busy worrying about what people might be thinking about them to have time to be thinking about other people

I’m likely not in the keep-it-for-life categorie. I currently own two shotguns, but will likely end up exchanging one for a black DT11 at some point. And that is before seriously having considered a Perazzi, as well as other brands. There are many, and I’d like to at least try several and if there’s more than one that fits the bill, lucky me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want a black action gun, it appeals far more than scratchings. I shoot a DT10, but would love a DT11 black edition, or the Perazzi hi tech black(or whatever it’s called) just for looks alone. 
I suspect that I will treat myself to the DT 11 as a retirement pressie in about 5 years. Never owned a new gun, so it really would be a treat.

Just need to get myself up to a level where I don’t look a twerp with a posh gun and no talent. 😂😂
 Makes it easy dragging a 525 round though... that would probably be my next gun too, just I'd go absolutely mental and get, wait for it... an adjustable comb!! Woooo!! :D  

.. that would probably be my next gun too, just I'd go absolutely mental and get, wait for it... an adjustable comb!! Woooo!! :D  
I’m going the Ergosign route. Especially now that extra layers of clothing are part and parcel, I am looking forward to the ease of adjustment. What others consider ‘proper’ be darned, I just want a mean clay breaking machine 😎 * 

* and less operator error 😋

This is an interesting question. I can't say I have thought about it much at all !!!!

Its a 694 for sure - planning on one in a couple of years or so - its not the money side of it - its the the current gun & my skillset that stops me.

I have a 686E. Its in good nick, easy to maintain and, sorry to repeat earlier posts, has 682 wood and an adjustible trigger. In short it fits me. It's personal. I'm not prissy about it either. Like its owner I accept it is a tool & that the gun is designed to do a job. I pick it up and know a miss is me. Its not the best gun but it's better than me. The 694 purchase needs to wait until I am better & I think the 686E deserves a rest; in 2 years time it will be 12 years old, so, like a good horse, it can go out to stud and breed little 686's in the cabinet.

Until then - until I really deserve it - the the buying of a 694 will be like polishing a turd - it might make me feel better than I am, but I would only be kidding myself.

If money was no option, I would go to Italy, to Perazzi, and get a High Tech, or look at a DT10/11 EELL or perhaps, like Jonny, make a visit to Longthorne albeit mainly because they are local & I'm a bit lazy - I travel too much for work. I would make the trip, talk the talk, walk the walk and they would think I was going to do their gun justice. The fools they would be !!!.

...its the the current gun & my skillset that stops me.

I have a 686E. Its in good nick, easy to maintain and, sorry to repeat earlier posts, has 682 wood and an adjustible trigger. In short it fits me. It's personal. I'm not prissy about it either. Like its owner I accept it is a tool & that the gun is designed to do a job. I pick it up and know a miss is me. Its not the best gun but it's better than me.

Until then - until I really deserve it - the the buying of a 694 will be like polishing a turd - it might make me feel better than I am, but I would only be kidding myself.
Absolutely this, except with a 525. :)  

I’m currently thinking of selling my Lightweight receiver K80. I only kept it for my boy to shoot and he’s lost interest . On the what I’d buy to replace it  .. B25 game gun , 12 gauge , roach belly stock , 30” barrels grade to be determined but the bog standard black action wouldn’t go amiss . If I could find one worthy of renovation I’d even consider getting the action and iron colour case hardened  and get the barrels best London blacked 

High Tech P gun. For the moment my black K80 is ok though.

Budget no barrier I'd have an Boxall & Edmiston, round body. Sadly now second hand only as they went bust. But a thing of beauty!

Boxall & Edmiston
I had to google that, but sure does look pretty. Their website seems to be up and running though:

http://www.boxallandedmiston.co.uk/news-and-blog/boxall-and-edmiston-celebrate-their-100th-gun/

If they did only make just over a 100 guns (the above dating back to august?) good luck trying to find one S/H... 

Who but you can say what you 'deserve'? I wouldn't worry about how others perceive you with either a fifty-quid-Baikal or a fifty-grand-Huff&Puff. Opinions don't improve scores. If it would make you happier than you are now and you can afford it, go for it sooner than later. All manner of things can happen, and the extra smiles when opening your case may be worth it.

My theory is that if there isn't anything to blame on material, you have more drive as a shooter to improve. Also, think of it this way: Would you rather shoot 10.000 hours with gun A, to warrant purchase of your "if-ever" gun, and retrain from there on in, or would you wish for 10.000 hours of training with that special gun, so that it'll be your "miss-never" gun?

I had to google that, but sure does look pretty. Their website seems to be up and running though:

http://www.boxallandedmiston.co.uk/news-and-blog/boxall-and-edmiston-celebrate-their-100th-gun/

If they did only make just over a 100 guns (the above dating back to august?) good luck trying to find one S/H... 
http://www.boxallandedmiston.co.uk/

Personal note from Peter & James

Due to economic conditions, we have closed Boxall and Edmiston Ltd and Liquidators have been appointed, namely Conrad Pearson and Patrick Lannagan of Mazars from 1st November 2018.

We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that Andrew Dyke (Former employee and worked on/finished all the B&E guns) has resurrected his old company A. D. Classic Rifles.

AD Classic Rifles - are offering maintenance and repair service for all B&E guns together with any other gun/rifle from his home address:

AD Classic Rifles
Yup. I have  friend who has an absolute beauty ............ If i outlast him I'll have to scrape some cash together. :)   :)   :)  

High Tech P gun. For the moment my black K80 is ok though.

Budget no barrier I'd have an Boxall & Edmiston, round body. Sadly now second hand only as they went bust. But a thing of beauty!
Hmm... money no object eh? 
Now you have me thinking about the Purdey Sporting Clays in 12 gauge with the drop out trigger group and some custom engraving. 🥰😜

Should be north of £100k I’m guessing 

Who but you can say what you 'deserve'? I wouldn't worry about how others perceive you with either a fifty-quid-Baikal or a fifty-grand-Huff&Puff. Opinions don't improve scores. If it would make you happier than you are now and you can afford it, go for it sooner than later. All manner of things can happen, and the extra smiles when opening your case may be worth it.
I do think this is important. Ok, not life changing, existential, change the world important, but personally important.

So I got my 525, then swapped it for a F16, then like busses two F3’s for good money show up. Before parting with cash, I took an F3 for a test drive at EJC. Felt nice. Nothing more, nothing less. Didn’t make me shoot better, just feel better. It stroked my ego and I’m in no way ashamed to admit that.

Now, we humans are dammed good at finding a rationale to make our irrational behaviour acceptable to ourselves and we advertise this to others to reinforce this in our own mind. It doesn’t matter if no one is listening... you’re listening and that’s what matters.

So here’s a nice rationale so we can all go out and get the things we want (within our means of course... I wouldn’t advocate rationalising recklessness)

So you spot “the gun” you try “ the gun”. “ said gun makes you feel special. It sends lovely addictive dopamine, oxytocin, serotonin and endorphins to your brain and you feel confident as a result. As a result of your improved confidence you shoot better.

So there you have it... buying “the gun” WILL make you shoot better.

(Just don’t come on here telling everyone that the gun is better than others because it really is just tubes n wood 😉 )

I’m 95% happy with my current gun and it was a 10 year journey to find what I really wanted and needed (although just by my last two shoots results you would think I had borrowed a .410 from a dwarf). Despite altering I still haven’t got the comb shape perfect, but it’s fine. This is the cheapest gun of my last three by a big margin too. 

If I had to replace it, it would be all about ensuring the fit and feel was the same. I am way past worrying about what a gun looks like within reason. I suppose if I accidentally dropped my present F3 over a cliff, I would need to go and handle the latest offerings from Beretta, CG and Perazzi and see which was closest and able to be adjusted to what I want. It’s not just gun fit; barrel weight is a big deal, as for me, that is 80% of how a gun feels. In fact my MX12 SC3 has been through several stock modifications and is now lovely. Apart from it needs a lighter set of barrels or a forend made from helium to feel really good. 

although just by my last two shoots results you would think I had borrowed a .410 from a dwarf
Had me howling that did 🤣🤣🤣

That just about describes my stock dimensions too. “The midgets gun” as Ed S calls it. “the shortest stock [he’s] ever shouldered” (He still bloody hit everything with it anytime he’s picked it up)

Had me howling that did 🤣🤣🤣

That just about describes my stock dimensions too. “The midgets gun” as Ed S calls it. “the shortest stock [he’s] ever shouldered” (He still bloody hit everything with it anytime he’s picked it up)
Pull him up when he says that and remind him he's shot my gun - 13 1/2 LoP 

Latest posts

Back