Am I limiting myself?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd put this out there and see if there was any advice I could get.

Whenever I shoot a two day competition I shoot exactly the same score,for example with my last competition had me shooting a score of 80 on day 1 and another 80 on day two.My last competition this weekend had me shooting a 77 on day one and another on day 2.

These are FITASC Sporting competitions hosted by each province so the ranges are hard,but set by different range setters with different styles and  hundreds of kilometres apart.

This is a common occurrence for me and I can't help but wonder if I'm limiting my score on a subconscious level.

Any thoughts?

I'd say no but your consistant I'll give you that. Is this just the two that you have shot and done this.And did you miss the same targets on each day on the same stands

I'd say no but your consistant I'll give you that. Is this just the two that you have shot and done this.And did you miss the same targets on each day on the same stands
Not at all, each day of shooting has completely different birds and pads so you never shoot the same birds again on the second day but I generally shoot the same score with a one or two clay difference

When you keep improving your scores, I wouldn’t worry too much.

If you keep getting the same scores over a long period, you might have a point.

Not at all, each day of shooting has completely different birds and pads so you never shoot the same birds again on the second day but I generally shoot the same score with a one or two clay difference
Then I doubt it's subconscious, and one or two difference isn't the same score ?

It’s an interesting question. One which perhaps be answered by Paul Hughes a psychologist helping the Olympic Trap team.

if you are on Instagram, he goes under the pseudonym of ‘ sportsshootingpsycologist ‘ 

Personally, I would think that shooting the same score in itself isn’t a product of being limited by psychological barriers, but that your thinking that maybe it could, may be a barrier to shooting more. 

One Question - When you fill your car with petrol do you have a compulsion to round up the cost or litres.

If so then you have a problem . . . and . . . you are not alone.

One Question - When you fill your car with petrol do you have a compulsion to round up the cost or litres.
Not beyond the point where the tank is full 😁   And I've never tried to pay them more than what I owe... but I do mean full, which I suppose is a different compulsion.  

On topic I would ask whether you start missing clays when you are about to surpass the previous day's score. If so, then yes, it could be that the thought of the previous day is having an effect. If you don't think about the scores, then it could well be chance. 

Mike the last clay of day 1 on purpose, and see if the next day's score is one above day 1. That'll tell you whether you're off to the shrink or just at the short end of cosmic coincidence.  

The best thing is not to add up your scores as you go round, If you don't know your score but still get the same each day, you are just shooting your average.

I try not to put myself under any kind of mental pressure either by knowing competitors scores or my own until after the event. The human mind is a funny thing and it will play tricks with you whenever it can.

Thanks everyone,

You have given me abit to think about.

I'll go back to my scores and see when and where Ive dropped my clays.

But I'll definitely try some of your suggestions.

Many Thanks

Back