Ballistics

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lml081

can anyone into ballistics tell me what the muzzle velocity may be on a 1oz 28gram shell 1270fps 387mps measured at 2.5m i just want to know how this shell compares with others that are measured at the muzzle.

Just a touch over 1270 fps/387mps?

No idea how to calculate this, especially without the size of shot. I suspect the barrel length would be a factor here too. It wouldn't be the first time that manufacturers specs are slightly optimistic, but whether its a few (tens of) feet per second faster, or not, is not going to matter for the clays. Comparing shells on paper won't tell you how you perceive recoil, how your gun patterns the shot nor whether you will break more, or fewer, clays. Shoot and compare, forget about the numbers. Way more fun than comparic ballistic coefficients...     

I do not. I don’t know any experts, but I do work with a scientist who did a minor in ballistics. I could ask her if she could shed any light at all, but I’d ask the question that Luke raises. Does it matter? What could you learn that could make any difference?

I’m  a bit of a numbers/facts nerd analytical sort. I can honestly say I haven’t come across anything yet in my albeit limited shooting experience that I could actually find useful when pulling the trigger.

It may be different for each person but for me it’s largely what gun/cartridge/choke do I like and then just shoot and practice. If I was regularly shooting in the mid/high 90’s (some hope!) maybe, maybe Such things could be a factor but I’d guess possibly every once in a while... if at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t believe it’s important, but if you really want to know...

This depends on shot size, for 7 1/2 it will be around 1380 fps.

Seems fast enough for me.

In all honesty , it’s totally irrelevant . Retained energy and pattern at the point of impact breaks and or kills things .  There are so many variables in delivering a shotgun pattern  that velocity is not a useful comparator on its own . 

Latest posts

Back