Will Browning put an adjustable comb on a new gun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjb11173

Does anyone know if you can request optional extras for a cost from Browning through a dealer? Looking at a 525 trap one but it doesn't come with an adjustable comb, which I'd be after. Instead of going through the hassle of sending it off and getting it back from someone to fit this, could you request it to be done by Browning before picking it up from the dealership? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if you can request optional extras for a cost from Browning through a dealer? Looking at a 525 trap one but it doesn't come with an adjustable comb, which I'd be after. Instead of going through the hassle of sending it off and getting it back from someone to fit this, could you request it to be done by Browning before picking it up from the dealership? 
525 trap and sporters available new with adjustable combs. Look around on guntrader. 

Jasper.

525 trap and sporters available new with adjustable combs. Look around on guntrader. 

Jasper.
The 525 Sporter and limited edition 525 Sporter with trap forend come with optional adjustable combs. The 525 trap one doesn't though. 

The 525 Sporter and limited edition 525 Sporter with trap forend come with optional adjustable combs. The 525 trap one doesn't though. 
Just out of curiosity, what would be the difference between a "trap version" and a sporter with a trap forend and an adjustable comb? 

Just out of curiosity, what would be the difference between a "trap version" and a sporter with a trap forend and an adjustable comb? 
Barrel weight and fixed chokes probably. The sporters stock will also have more drop. This can only be partially offset by lifting the comb

Would barrel weight be less, or more than in a sporter-version? Is there a particular reason for the difference? I don't shoot trap more than twice a year, so forgive me for being clueless. 

As for the chokes, I thought new Brownings were all (removable) invector chokes these days unless you go the custom route. Not a bad thing, as multiple chokes make sense given the lead-to-steel shift over in the UK. (Here it is only steel shot, ever.)  

Would barrel weight be less, or more than in a sporter-version? Is there a particular reason for the difference? I don't shoot trap more than twice a year, so forgive me for being clueless. 

As for the chokes, I thought new Brownings were all (removable) invector chokes these days unless you go the custom route. Not a bad thing, as multiple chokes make sense given the lead-to-steel shift over in the UK. (Here it is only steel shot, ever.)  
I’m certainly not a Browning/Miroku expert but I’d be surprised if their trap barrels aren’t heavier. The extra weight being found at the muzzle (assuming it has fixed chokes) and it the rib which will probably be broader.

The biggest issue though will the drop in the stock and, to a lesser extent, its dimensions in terms of fit and feel. 

I shot a Sporter One for a while, with the trap forend and it's a gun which handles like a sporter, very easy to move and shoot.

I shot a Trap One at Kelbrook and it's a totally different gun, it has a proper trap stock which is deeper and thicker than the one on the sporter and the handling is a lot steadier. But it's not anything like a Mk38 trap gun to shoot mainly due to the differences in the stock dimensions but it is fitted with multi chokes.

I shot the trap gun on the sporting layout and it was nice to shoot but the sporter is better for sporting. For the price I think the Trap One is very good value and I'm curious if the OP has tried one as the comb might be ok for them.

I shot a Sporter One for a while, with the trap forend and it's a gun which handles like a sporter, very easy to move and shoot.

I shot a Trap One at Kelbrook and it's a totally different gun, it has a proper trap stock which is deeper and thicker than the one on the sporter and the handling is a lot steadier. But it's not anything like a Mk38 trap gun to shoot mainly due to the differences in the stock dimensions but it is fitted with multi chokes.

I shot the trap gun on the sporting layout and it was nice to shoot but the sporter is better for sporting. For the price I think the Trap One is very good value and I'm curious if the OP has tried one as the comb might be ok for them.
What's the advantage of a trap forend over a standard sporting? Just looks like a preference between schnabel and beaver to me but I may well be missing summat?

What's the advantage of a trap forend over a standard sporting? Just looks like a preference between schnabel and beaver to me but I may well be missing summat?
 I just like the feel of them.

The stock does look fairly high for a traditional shape but I'm used to shooting a flat running Monte Carlo with very little drop at the comb, so like to be able to adjust 

The stock does look fairly high for a traditional shape but I'm used to shooting a flat running Monte Carlo with very little drop at the comb, so like to be able to adjust 
It is quite a high comb but the easiest thing to do is visit a shop which has one in stock, comments on here are not the same as trying one.

Have you contacted Browning ?

What's the advantage of a trap forend over a standard sporting? Just looks like a preference between schnabel and beaver to me but I may well be missing summat?
I like a beavertail forend, as I find it easier to 'feel' whether my hand is in the right spot. Also I my left index towards the clay, which I find easier to do with a beavertail. As to why they're known as 'trap forends' is a mystery to me, it does imply they have a use or advantage that is particular to trapshooting. No idea what though, as I mostly don't shoot trap. I see a lot of trap forends in every other discipline though :)   

Good luck getting a reply from Browning, best try a dealer
I spoke to them last year about something pretty inconsequential and they were good as gold, even sent me a freebie.... the hardest bit was trying to find their UK phone number!! Lost it again now, and would have been handy recently so if anyone has it, it would be great to have it posted here. 😁

(accidentally phoned up Perazzi cos I looked up the wrong number, and they were VERY snotty about them not being Browning. Jumped up c***s! :D )

Latest posts

Back