Which 20 Bore? CG or Beretta

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer7

I'm looking at buying a 20bore game gun, just for a bit of fun on the farm really. 

Two options I have narrowed down to are a Caesar Guerini Woodcock 20 bore 30" barrel which I haven't handled as I don't live anywhere near but would be prepared to take a punt on. Its a 2008 gun but only bought new a couple of months ago for someone's wife who is not interested. Its fired 20-30 shots apparently. Cased, multichoke, colour hardened, semi-pistol grip, wooden heel-plate, plain-ish wood for a CG but not bad. Weight is around 6lbs 9oz. I checked the serial no with Anglo Italian and its not steel proof.

The second option is a 30" multichoke Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Field which i was able to handle. It felt good to mount and fit was good. Again it's as new and fired less than 250 shots. Plain, boring wood. It felt very light, 6 lbs 2oz apparently. 

Where would you folk with more experience suggest I put my money? Beretta or CG. Would the age of the CG and the fact its not steel proof put you off? Only £80 difference between them.

I've never fired a CG let alone a 20 bore CG. Anyone any experience on that front? With either gun in fact.

Any input gratefully received to help make my choice. Thanks.

I have owned both makes and currently have a CG Apex 20 bore with 32"  tubes.  To me, they both handle pretty much the same, BUT, the CG is far better value for money or "More bang for yer buck"  ! In between the Beretta's and the CG came a Browning Heritage, which I shot reasonably well, a cracked stock being my only reason for getting the CG.

I'd bear in mind that from Beretta's e-store, parts for 686 series guns are available for speedy delivery to your doorstep. That, and the fact that it is steel proofed (and thus arguably 'stronger') would put me towards the Beretta. 

Of course one could argue that Beretta needs to make parts directly available to its customer base 😜 , but fortunately that hasn't been my experience. I'm waiting for the paperwork on a thirty year old 686 special, which I imagine will last another thirty years or more.

I have owned both makes and currently have a CG Apex 20 bore with 32"  tubes.  To me, they both handle pretty much the same, BUT, the CG is far better value for money or "More bang for yer buck"  ! In between the Beretta's and the CG came a Browning Heritage, which I shot reasonably well, a cracked stock being my only reason for getting the CG.
Thanks for that, I'm not going to find a tidy 32"  within budget I don't think. I use a 32" Browning Pro Trap for everything just now. Tipping the scales at a mite over 9lbs with no weights installed. A 20bore at 6lb something is going to feel quite different!

I'd bear in mind that from Beretta's e-store, parts for 686 series guns are available for speedy delivery to your doorstep. That, and the fact that it is steel proofed (and thus arguably 'stronger') would put me towards the Beretta. 

Of course one could argue that Beretta needs to make parts directly available to its customer base 😜 , but fortunately that hasn't been my experience. I'm waiting for the paperwork on a thirty year old 686 special, which I imagine will last another thirty years or more.
Regarding the proof on the CG Anglo Italian said they could have it proofed, so I assume that means it is exactly the same strength/steel as a fleur de lys proofed one. Just back in 2008 it wasn't commonplace.

As fabarm make the barrels for CG and have the highest proof in some of their guns I wouldn't worry about CG barrels being weak 
I am not slating CG guns, just stating my preference for a gun that had actually been proofed, as opposed to shooting steel (mandatory here) through a gun which is assumed to be "steel proof". 

Personally the Beretta but both will be very good long term buys quality wise - I have not owned a CG but knowing people who have they are not so easy to sell on without a bit of a loss; they are really good value however.

The key issue with be steel shot - in five years you may have to use it so it is essential that the CG will take it - what are the CG chokes as they maybe too tight for steel (above 1/2).

CG barrels are all built to the same standard. They don't have 'special' ones just for steel or vice versa. The fact that it hasn't been steel proofed doesn't mean you can't use it with steel, it just means it hasn't been proofed for steel. It shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Can I add another name to the mix?

ATA are releasing a 20bore very soon (they should have been ready earlier in the year)

Have a new one for second hand money, with a guarantee.

Thanks for that, I'm not going to find a tidy 32"  within budget I don't think. I use a 32" Browning Pro Trap for everything just now. Tipping the scales at a mite over 9lbs with no weights installed. A 20bore at 6lb something is going to feel quite different!

Regarding the proof on the CG Anglo Italian said they could have it proofed, so I assume that means it is exactly the same strength/steel as a fleur de lys proofed one. Just back in 2008 it wasn't commonplace.
I use a ProSport which is 30" and weighs in at just under 9lbs with barrel weights fitted. I just have to remember to keep swinging , when I use the 20 bore. Even though it is very muzzle heavy and has 32" tubes, it still weighs around 6 3/4 lbs. and is easy to stop, especially after the Pro. It usually takes around a dozen shots through it to get the swing going again  !  As the CG is multi choked and I normally shoot 1/4 in both, steel would not be a problem to me. IF I needed to go up to full choke to shoot anything I would probably use an auto.  

I have not owned a CG but knowing people who have they are not so easy to sell on without a bit of a loss; they are really good value however.
For some reason this holds true about CG, they are a cracking gun but when you come to move it on you get ' we can't seem to shift them second hand' but they have no trouble selling the new ones 😕

Get the CG, the fact that it’s colour hardened will differentiate it from everything else . Colour hardening is a classy finish on a game gun .  Standard Steel loads will be no issue . The world is full of Silver Pigeons , be daring .  

As a MK38 trap and MK60 20g shooter , I concur with all  above comments regarding swapping from a heavy gun to a sub 7 pounder .  

Latest posts

Back