Medical Report cost

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon1

My renewal is due and obviously now need the GP medical report, what are people being charged for this? My local practice is £100 which feels a little steep!

Anywhere between nothing and £150. Assuming your licensing authority will accept their report (and check first because some won't), use Medcert, they charge a flat fee of £50.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect companies like Medcert request your records via GDPR and then review them and provide the report required by the Police. It maybe worthwhile you mentioning this to your GP on the basis that they can't charge for the provision of the records via GDPR yet its quite labour intensive - Better to have the £50 for a letter than messing about with your records for nothing.

After reading the process on the Medcert website that is exactly what I was going to do. Looks like my local GP  provides my info to Medcert for them to review, but for half the price. Seems a bit daft!

Different times, but I was told (and actually ultimately did) to tell them that it's actually the police requesting my info, not me, so they should try charging them. Dunno if the surgery didn't really know what to do through not having many licence requests, or just couldn't be bothered, but they just sent it off gratis. Three weeks later, one licence. Worked for me.

If you are a professional driver, shoot clays want life insurance, are a company director and have other hobbies that require medical sign off you can be paying 100's every year for 2, 3 or more doctors to answer the same questions and tick the same boxes on different forms that have NO acceptability between the differing controlling bodies. Bloody ridiculous!

wonder what happened to patient confidentiality ?   i guess it doesn't apply  if there's money to be made !!     
You tell us .......er...............DOC   ?      😜

So, if I choose to go with Medcert, I pay £50 for a report/letter by a Doctor that does not know me, has never met me and is NEVER likely to meet me. That report/letter is then accepted by my local Police Force and I get my Shotgun Certificate.

Now THAT seems like a good  'scam'   sorry,  idea   !

The Doctors are laughing all the way to the bank, and God forbid  I do anything wrong, the Police can point the finger at some GP or other,  and that is their "Get out of Jail Free'  card   !  Now that seems like an excellent idea  !   🤔

Just as an update, Cambs will accept Medcert. However it looked like a one week turn around from my GP But possibly 4 weeks from Medcert. I thought therefore I would go with my local GP as I didn’t want to hold my renewal up. I wrote a nice letter to the GP saying I wanted to support them but felt double the Medcert price was a little steep. I got a nice phone call back thanking me for my support but it was still £100!

Wow, we are in Kent and have just done my renewal.  Printed the forms up from Kent Police website, filled in and dropped the letter for the GP to fill in.  Was charged £25 and because we had just changed surgeries the doc phoned me for a little chat to go over a few things and was told to pick up form next day.  

That is great service Donna, seems to differ widely across the country.

It was, the GP was really good too.  Only thing that I’m puzzled by is when I got my certificate back they’ve asked me to retain a FIRED cartridge case of each firearm I possess in case my gun is ever stolen!!!

Wow, we are in Kent and have just done my renewal.  Printed the forms up from Kent Police website, filled in and dropped the letter for the GP to fill in.  Was charged £25 and because we had just changed surgeries the doc phoned me for a little chat to go over a few things and was told to pick up form next day.  
Blimey!

I thought I was doing ok with £50 and turned around in 5 days with my GP (Kent too). Think I need to look around...!

Its to be used by forensics if your stolen weapon is used they can confirm it was yours by firing pin detent in primer matching your saved cases, and then trace hopefully where/who was involved in theft /robbery etc etc, most forces are asking this now.

What happens when you change or polish up your firing pins. Can see the point in ejected rifle rounds as it also can leave a scare on the brass case

My FEO asked me to save two from each gun, one from each barrel and replace them if the firing pins are renewed, gave me resealable bags to keep them in too.

He asked me to write my postcode inside the gun cabinet too, gave me a marker pen and a spray lacquer to seal it on. The reason for that is should the cabinet be pinched they'd know who it belonged to. 

I get the saving of a cartridge, if forensically it can be traced back to a particular gun and therefore identified (thought that was only with the rifling of a bullet), but a sharpie postcode on the inside of a cabinet? 
60 seconds with a Dremmel will soon remove said marking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the saving of a cartridge, if forensically it can be traced back to a particular gun and therefore identified (thought that was only with the rifling of a bullet), but a sharpie postcode on the inside of a cabinet? 
60 seconds with a Dremmel will soon remove said marking.
This particular FEO is a rather objectionable individual, and I bit my tongue and complied with his request. I know other local shooters and an RFD who've fallen foul of him and he's messed about with their renewals and variations. 

Latest posts

Back