Think your Sunday is going badly? Look at my barrel..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antse7en

My year old custom made Teague choke (Full) appears to have just failed in my MK38 and damaged the barrel.

Oh joy!!

On a serious note.. suggestions? Clearly this is at least a new barrel (and set of Teague chokes again) however unsure on the portability of barrels. 

5D619294-3333-442B-8743-AD461362E0C3.jpeg

211754EB-B8D1-485A-9566-CC89C79E3EFB.jpeg

823FCB8C-D80A-47CE-B152-5F53FF4390DF.jpeg

When you say custom. Do you mean thinwall rather than aftermarket ( teague invector plus etc.)?

Usual Colin - GB velocity 28g 8s.

Yep Paul, made for that gun i.e they bored the fixed choke barrel threading and supplied matched Teague chokes alongside. As opposed to off the shelf. 

I suspect there was an air gap between the back of the choke and the barrel. The gases & crap blow through and the barrel fails where it is weak. Was the choke damaged or is it just the barrel ?. I'm always a little worried with after market chokes that removing metal from within the barrel will weaken the barrel wall.

I suspect there was an air gap between the back of the choke and the barrel. The gases & crap blow through and the barrel fails where it is weak. Was the choke damaged or is it just the barrel ?. I'm always a little worried with after market chokes that removing metal from within the barrel will weaken the barrel wall.
I don’t know mate unable to remove the choke. I can definitely see your point. Hoping Teague have a solution 🤷🏻‍♂️

The first stop must be to go back to Teague  Precision . I’m sure they will be able to comment as they have done thousands of MK38 conversions . They have had the gun proofed as part of the conversion process so you have to assume that it has had an overcharge fired with the chokes fitted and survived that . 

On the subject of a new set of barrels , yes a gunsmith can fit  new barrels onto your existing action , but you’d have to look at the economics of a) sourcing a new set , and the work involved in fitting them  Verses b) finding a clean used gun and transferring your customised stock onto it .  You would then have some used parts to sell to offset the purchase .  I’d guess  b) would be cheaper . 

Can you make out if circled is metal or lead

uobvHQeh.jpg

Can you make out if circled is metal or lead

I’ve no idea I’m afraid. 

The first stop must be to go back to Teague  Precision . I’m sure they will be able to comment as they have done thousands of MK38 conversions . They have had the gun proofed as part of the conversion process so you have to assume that it has had an overcharge fired with the chokes fitted and survived that . 

On the subject of a new set of barrels , yes a gunsmith can fit  new barrels onto your existing action , but you’d have to look at the economics of a) sourcing a new set , and the work involved in fitting them  Verses b) finding a clean used gun and transferring your customised stock onto it .  You would then have some used parts to sell to offset the purchase .  I’d guess  b) would be cheaper . 
I had the same thought. I’ll see what Teague say tomorrow - Might end up buying an MK38 Sporter I really don’t know just yet. 

Usual Colin - GB velocity 28g 8s.

Yep Paul, made for that gun i.e they bored the fixed choke barrel threading and supplied matched Teague chokes alongside. As opposed to off the shelf. 
Be interesting on what Teague say. I have some barrels with briley chokes. I'm sure they are fairly robust but It worries dometimes me how thin they are to the point of not wanting to squeeze them, even lightly.   I don't use that gun very often  though.

Funny it's a full choke.  You'd have been better sticking with the fixed chokes. 

I would suggest the nub of the matter is whether the choke was loose or not. If not, then I can’t see how it is anything other than the manufacturers problem..
Not even a single mm bud, as evidenced in the pictures. Only went in last night after a clean and tightened in the car park just prior.

Can’t get the choke out so sustained evidence 😄

Not even a single mm bud, as evidenced in the pictures. Only went in last night after a clean and tightened in the car park just prior.

Can’t get the choke out so sustained evidence 😄
Have you dropped the choke on the floor recently, as i understand it one of the most common cause is a slightly out of shape choke?

Have you dropped the choke on the floor recently, as i understand it one of the most common cause is a slightly out of shape choke?
Not to my recollection no. And storage wise they stay in their box. I don’t believe it was damage inflicted to the choke. 

I’d be surprised if Teague’s don’t have some fancy bore inspection gear . 

If  the barrels are scrap , you could get them to mill 1/2 the barrel away  locally over the tapered length of the choke tube.  It would be interesting  to see the internal deformation in that way . 

Could of been out of round choke tube , easily done with thin wall ? bit of debri in threads when tightening > pushed choke edge over recess in barrel , really surprised choke never got blown out of gun , if that is barrel end damage as pic , thats been dropped or hit , that will cause thread to open maybe, 

Back