Think your Sunday is going badly? Look at my barrel..

My year old custom made Teague choke (Full) appears to have just failed in my MK38 and damaged the barrel.

Oh joy!!

On a serious note.. suggestions? Clearly this is at least a new barrel (and set of Teague chokes again) however unsure on the portability of barrels. 

5D619294-3333-442B-8743-AD461362E0C3.jpeg

211754EB-B8D1-485A-9566-CC89C79E3EFB.jpeg

823FCB8C-D80A-47CE-B152-5F53FF4390DF.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antse7en

• jwpzx9r

• ColinD

• tiptop

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Success guys and gals! Bought a little used used MK38 from Matt at Premier Guns Doveridge today for a snip - off to Teague for the next part of the process. Donor time!  With some blinding l

Lengthy question set delivered to Teague today - just wanted to say thanks for all the points raised on this forum. It's helped me construct my response and I'll continue to update on any developments

Put simply only two things damage  guns at the muzzle , either the muzzle is blocked or the choke isn’t seated  The why’s and wherefore of that happening in Ant’s case have all been covered   I’d

Posted Images

Usual Colin - GB velocity 28g 8s.

Yep Paul, made for that gun i.e they bored the fixed choke barrel threading and supplied matched Teague chokes alongside. As opposed to off the shelf. 

• Like 1
Freddypip

I suspect there was an air gap between the back of the choke and the barrel. The gases & crap blow through and the barrel fails where it is weak. Was the choke damaged or is it just the barrel ?. I'm always a little worried with after market chokes that removing metal from within the barrel will weaken the barrel wall.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Freddypip said:

I suspect there was an air gap between the back of the choke and the barrel. The gases & crap blow through and the barrel fails where it is weak. Was the choke damaged or is it just the barrel ?. I'm always a little worried with after market chokes that removing metal from within the barrel will weaken the barrel wall.

I don’t know mate unable to remove the choke. I can definitely see your point. Hoping Teague have a solution 🤷🏻‍♂️

The first stop must be to go back to Teague  Precision . I’m sure they will be able to comment as they have done thousands of MK38 conversions . They have had the gun proofed as part of the conversion process so you have to assume that it has had an overcharge fired with the chokes fitted and survived that . 

On the subject of a new set of barrels , yes a gunsmith can fit  new barrels onto your existing action , but you’d have to look at the economics of a) sourcing a new set , and the work involved in fitting them  Verses b) finding a clean used gun and transferring your customised stock onto it .  You would then have some used parts to sell to offset the purchase .  I’d guess  b) would be cheaper . 

6 minutes ago, ColinD said:

Can you make out if circled is metal or lead

uobvHQeh.jpg

I’ve no idea I’m afraid. 

21 minutes ago, MartynB said:

The first stop must be to go back to Teague  Precision . I’m sure they will be able to comment as they have done thousands of MK38 conversions . They have had the gun proofed as part of the conversion process so you have to assume that it has had an overcharge fired with the chokes fitted and survived that . 

On the subject of a new set of barrels , yes a gunsmith can fit  new barrels onto your existing action , but you’d have to look at the economics of a) sourcing a new set , and the work involved in fitting them  Verses b) finding a clean used gun and transferring your customised stock onto it .  You would then have some used parts to sell to offset the purchase .  I’d guess  b) would be cheaper . 

I had the same thought. I’ll see what Teague say tomorrow - Might end up buying an MK38 Sporter I really don’t know just yet. 

2 hours ago, antse7en said:

Usual Colin - GB velocity 28g 8s.

Yep Paul, made for that gun i.e they bored the fixed choke barrel threading and supplied matched Teague chokes alongside. As opposed to off the shelf. 

Be interesting on what Teague say. I have some barrels with briley chokes. I'm sure they are fairly robust but It worries dometimes me how thin they are to the point of not wanting to squeeze them, even lightly.   I don't use that gun very often  though.

Funny it's a full choke.  You'd have been better sticking with the fixed chokes. 

• Like 2
Will Hewland

I would suggest the nub of the matter is whether the choke was loose or not. If not, then I can’t see how it is anything other than the manufacturers problem..

edit.. and undamaged when fitted was my assumption..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

I would suggest the nub of the matter is whether the choke was loose or not. If not, then I can’t see how it is anything other than the manufacturers problem..

Not even a single mm bud, as evidenced in the pictures. Only went in last night after a clean and tightened in the car park just prior.

Can’t get the choke out so sustained evidence 😄

• Like 1
Charliedog
Just now, antse7en said:

Not even a single mm bud, as evidenced in the pictures. Only went in last night after a clean and tightened in the car park just prior.

Can’t get the choke out so sustained evidence 😄

Have you dropped the choke on the floor recently, as i understand it one of the most common cause is a slightly out of shape choke?

• Thanks 1
Just now, Charliedog said:

Have you dropped the choke on the floor recently, as i understand it one of the most common cause is a slightly out of shape choke?

Not to my recollection no. And storage wise they stay in their box. I don’t believe it was damage inflicted to the choke. 

• Like 1

I’d be surprised if Teague’s don’t have some fancy bore inspection gear . 

If  the barrels are scrap , you could get them to mill 1/2 the barrel away  locally over the tapered length of the choke tube.  It would be interesting  to see the internal deformation in that way . 

Could of been out of round choke tube , easily done with thin wall ? bit of debri in threads when tightening > pushed choke edge over recess in barrel , really surprised choke never got blown out of gun , if that is barrel end damage as pic , thats been dropped or hit , that will cause thread to open maybe, 

Update:

Just had a call from Ivan at Teague. Initially putting it down to either damage to the choke (of which I don’t believe there has been any, i.e dropping it or something along those lines) or a small amount of movement of the choke. (Again I don’t think so as you can see from the pictures it’s fully seated). 

Said I’ll send the gun up for review and get a report but expecting a bit of a fob off if I’m being honest.

Not ideal. Renders hundreds of pounds worth of chokes useless 🙈

Freddypip

Both of the above imply that the fault (in their initial opinion) will be with you - either in damaging the choke or not seating and/or tightening it properly. The lawyer in me is telling you to keep an eye on the bits (particularly that full choke) to ensure they don't mess about with them and return them to you. That bit Colin has identified above needs some closer photos etc - when I zoom in on the image it does look like the full choke is sitting slightly proud of the top barrel choke and that something maybe trapped between it and the barrel end. That would result in a gap back in the barrel - at the back of the choke. It doesn't need to be much and if it was keeping the choke tight you may have fired a good few rounds through before the damage occurred - I assume you shoot bottom barrel first ?.

The attached gives an example of the type of budging associated with a choke not being properly seated - https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/gun-maintenance/how-to-remove-shotgun-choke-tubes-for-cleaning-27233. It matches your damage.

The guys are quite right in pointing out that the barrel would need to pass a proof test. Just check you have the certificate and the barrels have been re-stamped etc - I'm sure Teague will have done this but check. I am no engineer but I cannot help but assume that after market chokes make the weaker than Miroku intended and thus that they are not the best solution.

A gunsmith may be able to cut the damaged section of barrel away but that is only worthwhile if there is less than 4 inches lost - 32 to 28 inches etc. Also a few carry spare barrel sets though Mirokus are rarely ordered with extra barrels (unlike a few Blazers and P's). The remaining chokes should also have some value.

Sorry its not been a good day.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Freddypip said:

Both of the above imply that the fault (in their initial opinion) will be with you - either in damaging the choke or not seating and/or tightening it properly. The lawyer in me is telling you to keep an eye on the bits (particularly that full choke) to ensure they don't mess about with them and return them to you. That bit Colin has identified above needs some closer photos etc - when I zoom in on the image it does look like the full choke is sitting slightly proud of the top barrel choke and that something maybe trapped between it and the barrel end. That would result in a gap back in the barrel - at the back of the choke. It doesn't need to be much and if it was keeping the choke tight you may have fired a good few rounds through before the damage occurred - I assume you shoot bottom barrel first ?.

The attached gives an example of the type of budging associated with a choke not being properly seated - https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/gun-maintenance/how-to-remove-shotgun-choke-tubes-for-cleaning-27233. It matches your damage.

The guys are quite right in pointing out that the barrel would need to pass a proof test. Just check you have the certificate and the barrels have been re-stamped etc - I'm sure Teague will have done this but check. I am no engineer but I cannot help but assume that after market chokes make the weaker than Miroku intended and thus that they are not the best solution.

A gunsmith may be able to cut the damaged section of barrel away but that is only worthwhile if there is less than 4 inches lost - 32 to 28 inches etc. Also a few carry spare barrel sets though Mirokus are rarely ordered with extra barrels (unlike a few Blazers and P's). The remaining chokes should also have some value.

Sorry its not been a good day.

Thank you for this post - you’ve raised some really good points and things for me to think about and discuss.

I actually shoot top barrel first, contrary to the norm.

This video shows they’re sitting flush with eachother I think:

Looking at the picture showing down the barrel you can clearly see deformation of the choke which looks to line up with the area that I circled, bits of metal with the forces involved could easely end up where I circled in the picture, that's why I was interested if it was lead or metal.

Teague like any manufacturer, are never going to say it was their fault in the first instance without inspecting it.

38 minutes ago, ColinD said:

Looking at the picture showing down the barrel you can clearly see deformation of the choke which looks to line up with the area that I circled, bits of metal with the forces involved could easely end up where I circled in the picture, that's why I was interested if it was lead or metal.

Teague like any manufacturer, are never going to say it was their fault in the first instance without inspecting it.

Which is the right thing to do.  

I've know of Teague conversions for 30+ years and not heard of any failures. But siht happens very occasionally to even the very best. It's probably even more of a surprise and upsetting to them than anyone.  

• Like 1