Budget glasses and lense set?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeedsZeppelin

Can anyone recommend a decent glasses and lense set for £150 or under? 

I shoot all year round so being able to change lenses to different light levels is fairly important, but a single lense pair that I can purchase additional (and reasonably priced) lenses may work.

Unfortunately I cannot justify paying Pilla or Randolph prices. 

Dunno what you class as decent, but I and most of the blokes in my brigade who shoot all have Revision Sawfly glasses, as given to her majesty's finest. Figured if it's good enough to use when you're actually shooting to save your life, that's not a bad standard!

Got my set second hand for about 20 notes and came with dark, clear, and yellow interchangeable lenses, headstrap, headstrap, and case to fit it all in. 

What's not to like?! 🤷‍♂️

(I feel, however, this will end up being like my mum's shop which sells the same stuff as harrods for half the price and people think there's something wrong with it or it's seconds cos it's price is not over inflated for mugs! 😂

This is the world of shooting, unfortunately. Some things are pricey but absolutely worth it, but we all know some things are horrifically overpriced cos they know people will buy it just for the look of it, ala kardashians. 

Dunno what you class as decent, but I and most of the blokes in my brigade who shoot all have Revision Sawfly glasses, as given to her majesty's finest.
Thanks, I've not heard of them, but I will look into them. A quick Internet search shows that extra lenses are available at a sensible price.

How do you find the quality of build and lense clarity?

Who do you have to justify what your buying too apart from yourself, sorry can never understand the meaning of that saying
Unfortunately I'm not affluent enough to drop hundreds of pounds on something without having to make financial cutbacks on something else. I therefore have to prioritise my spending, and my budget is the limit on what I would feel comfortable spending.

I wish I was richer, but I am not.

Well if you look on ebay regularly enough you could get a set of Randolph Rangers XWL for a good price. I sold my Rangers on eBay and someone got a great deal... I should never have sold those way better than Randolph Falcons,not just way better immeasurably better. So from my post you will get the message do not buy Falcons thinking there are a bargain ... at any price!

Thanks, I've not heard of them, but I will look into them. A quick Internet search shows that extra lenses are available at a sensible price.

How do you find the quality of build and lense clarity? 
They're pretty bulletproof, excuse the pun... Ive dropped them, chucked them about, and they keep coming back fine. Would like the vermillion lenses cos they look tarty, but the standard 3 colours seems to have done me in every situation I've shot. Changed mid shoot a few times and all a-okay. 👌🏻Clarity is spot on as far as I'm concerned. 

Those evolution ones at 20 notes a pop are a bit more expensive cos they're separate glasses for each lens, but they look pretty dandy too... The advantage of separate glasses is you don't get the top bar like on the Sawfly cos of the inter changability. I've never noticed it ever being a problem for me, but I know some like nothing but sky at the top of glasses.

(I feel, however, this will end up being like my mum's shop which sells the same stuff as harrods for half the price and people think there's something wrong with it or it's seconds cos it's price is not over inflated for mugs! 😂
Does she sell that £17,000 metallic blue sideboard? The one in which literally none of the doors line up properly and all the drawers sag when you extend them? Than one that’s basically some sh*tty MDF school DT project, probably sprayed with some cans of Volvo Mussel Blue from Halfords out of the remnants bin.

It would be the  same sideboard I ranted about what a total pile of overpriced, over hyped sh*te it is on social media a few years ago.

Apparently my posts were not overwhelmingly appreciated by Harrods

Last edited by a moderator:
£150 should get you an Oakley M Frame and 2 lenses . Although not currently in favour , Oakley were once the go to shooting eyewear . There is a fantastic range of lenses new and used out there . Genuine Oakley lenses are really good optically . 

I have Randolph ranger falcons and they are superb. Same zeiss lense quality as pilla for nowhere near the money . Me and Mrs Jasper both picked up lightly used sets for the money you have. Recommended. 

I also see that Randolph do a cheaper option now called Phantom. Rxsport have these at £129 for a 3 lens set . Worth a look. 

Jasper. 

Extra 10% off at the moment too. Rxsport.co.uk. 

I think Castellani and Pilla are in a contest to see who can get away with charging the most for their glasses 😉

Although just checked and Pilla are way in front now

Recently picked up a pair of Pilla 580 with the 70CY lenses, non-prescription.

I don’t know yet if I’d need a prescription. I need to go see the guru Ed Lyons, but family and work commitments mean I can’t spare the time until the new year.

As just a pair of shooting glasses, the 580 are among the cheapest in the Pilla range, being some 11x more expensive than the Evolution Eyeware that I have been using. 

Yes the Pilla offer slightly more clarity, more durable certainly, maybe even more stylish. 11x more? Meh... I think not. Will they improve my scores 11x? Almost certainly not. 1.1x? Or even 0.11x? The latter maybe... at a push 🤔

A prescription, of required, I’d say these could be my favourite choice, otherwise, it is for me personally maybe a 5% performance, 95% ego thing.

Thats not to say other people wouldn’t get more from Pilla than I perceive. This is my own subjective and entirely no scientific opinion based on my personal and very limited experience 

Back