Trap and/versus Sporting barrels.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robden

Is the barrel convergence the same, in trap and sporting o/u barrels?

Aside from the guns that have hangers that allow some manipulation of the relative POI of the O/U barrels I suspect that the fixed convergence is the same or so nearly the same brand to brand that the difference has to be inconsequential. 

And FWIW I can attest that AFA my meager skills are concerned there has been no discernible difference between any gun I've owned or shot over the last 30+ years.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason for asking, is that I was told that the trap gun's bottom barrel shoots a bit higher than the top barrel.......but I didn't know enough to argue the point.

The reason for asking, is that I was told that the trap gun's bottom barrel shoots a bit higher than the top barrel.......but I didn't know enough to argue the point.
That is all going to be relative and only for a short time. Most people shoot by pointing their gun and the reason the hit the target is that they know where their gun is pointing. Now if they change their gun they will relearn where the barrels of that gun are pointing and adjust. But i really do doubt that there would be much difference between where a sporting gun shoots and any other gun be it trap, skeet or field. If there is some difference it sort of tells the shooter that one gun is the way to go that way you are not relearning every time you change discipline.

All the guns I've had shoot to the same POI and I've shot prolly all of them at the plate at one time or another.  I have never understood the biz about having bbls that shoot to different POI.  To me that makes no sense no matter what the argument is in favor.  I have trouble enough remembering all the other crap and I want 2 different POI's????

I don't know that much about it either, but that would require a shooter to aim differently when shooting top tube first, bottom second and vice versa. If this is true I'll stay away from such guns, as I'd get very confused.

I can attest that bottom barrels that you can move are indeed confusing. I now have the bottom barrel shooting 80/20 high and the top remains 60/40 and I use it for down the line, gave me my first 25 straight ( I shoot way more sporting than trap ).

2018-06-26 21.30.38.jpg

20180626_192002.jpg

Wow, I had no idea a "movable" barrel construction like that even existed. How does that work in relation to the barrel being embedded in the monobloc? Or is there no monobloc?

Pretty cool, but not my cup of tea.

There is a normal monobloc and where the barrel adjuster sits it interlocks, take the adjuster out and you can bend the barrels where you like although they are very well made and stiff. This is a 45 year old design, long before adjustable ribs became the norm, it was built for Olympic trap and is choked full and extra full. 

20180626_151907.jpg

Thanks 🙏 I'm still puzzled about flexing of the barrels to change the POI, as the adjuster seems to push from in between the top and bottom barrel? I would think that would then alter both the upper and bottom barrel (in relation to each other) but I guess that is the point. It would stress the barrels, but if it's been going for 45 years I guess it works fine. Does the bottom barrel 'float' in the block around the muzzles? It would have to, in my mind. Cool bit of kit!    

There was, may still be, a series of Brownings called ST here and  Carvega(?) where you are that had that feature.  I passed on buying an ST-100 that was set to zero diff on the POI's cos I thot it was too much $ for something I didn't feel I needed.  JMO of course

https://www.google.com/search?q=carvega+browning+st100&rlz=1C1RLNS_enUS702US703&sxsrf=ALeKk01G6TUGkn4L2QJVestsqmHY6r1m9g:1603120098481&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=LQTLie9IqY-hSM%2CA24MPwJu8Bb8KM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTawflgizurr0ap387RqhbzbfixGw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjp54Hg98DsAhXIvJ4KHU28D1cQ9QF6BAgHEAw#imgrc=LQTLie9IqY-hSM

Thanks 🙏 I'm still puzzled about flexing of the barrels to change the POI, as the adjuster seems to push from in between the top and bottom barrel? I would think that would then alter both the upper and bottom barrel (in relation to each other) but I guess that is the point. It would stress the barrels, but if it's been going for 45 years I guess it works fine. Does the bottom barrel 'float' in the block around the muzzles? It would have to, in my mind. Cool bit of kit!    
I would think the rib would act as stiffner for the top barrel and allow the bottom to flex up, but that would only work I think if the bottom barrel was allowed to move where it is fixed at the end of the barrels

Funny enough the rib is thin u shaped and just pushes on, the attachment point for the rib at the monobloc is a big old lump. The bottom barrel does pivot off of the top barrel and for added weirdness you can raise or lower your bottom barrels p.o.i. Your spot on Wonko these were built by Manufrance for Michel Carrega an Olympic trap shooter I think he also used one of those adjustable Browning BT thingies.

MichaelCarrega.jpg

Falcor-3.jpg

I think I might start a collection of weird looking trap guns. Wonko's compatriots certainly no how to make them.

tapatalk_1542705367100.jpeg

Excellent use of a leftover piece of 2x4" 😄

The six inches between the line of the bore and the red-dot might mean that the dot and POI would only converge "on target" (within the diameter of the shot cloud) at a very specific distance, but definitely a contender for the DIY-awards. 

Here's one for your collection, Simon:

Ljutic-Space-Gun-Spacegun-Trap-12-Gauge_100962119_22950_C2B28180A5D853F4.JPG

A guy I shoot with has a  Browining Carrega super trap Special number 180 of 200 made. He had it completely restored it is a thing of beauty, it really is. Was hand made in Herstal Belgium Michel Carrega used one but I don't think he used it in the Olympics in 72 opting for the standard B25 trap. The thing about this style of Browning is they made several editions some are rarer than others . I think they are based on a B25 action.

Excellent use of a leftover piece of 2x4" 😄

The six inches between the line of the bore and the red-dot might mean that the dot and POI would only converge "on target" (within the diameter of the shot cloud) at a very specific distance, but definitely a contender for the DIY-awards. 

Here's one for your collection, Simon:

That's not a weird looking trap gun (it is really) it's a Ljutic space gun..

2018-06-14 15.10.50.png

The most impressive part of the above is the solid mount of his contraption, which he nearly seems to clutch with his armpit. 

Latest posts

Back