summit ascent

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

hi all ,  I'm using a summit ascent for esp ,  10mm ramped rib and adj comb , i was told more upright stance , head and shoulders  more relaxed ?    i believe i have a good sight picture  but scores not reflecting this  !!   anyone out there using one ?    any opinions welcome   :victory:

Had one and initially thought I was doing ok, then tried a Browning pro sport, scores improved. Funny thing when I laid the Browning on top of the Ascent the rib hight/trigger/pistol grip all lined up, only difference was obviously cheek piece more level with Ascent. I never had to raise the check piece with either gun

Are you shooting better scores with other guns, and if so, what is different between those guns and yours? Comb, cast, grip, pitch, balance, barrels, rib, bead, chokes?

hi all ,  I'm using a summit ascent for esp ,  10mm ramped rib and adj comb , i was told more upright stance , head and shoulders  more relaxed ?    i believe i have a good sight picture  but scores not reflecting this  !!   anyone out there using one ?    any opinions welcome   :victory:
Had mine 6 years now , standby for F3 pro for sporting , use it for the bit of trap I shoot , found mine to shoot very flat , gotta blot it to snot it , tried raising comb , does keep head high and eyes level , but as for raising shot poa ,not sure lifting comb does much with that , maybe a washer under bottom heel pad screw may achieve something try it , chokes (Maxis ) throw real good tight patterns , little recoil, pretty good for the money , had mine serviced once came back like new 

Are you shooting better scores with other guns, and if so, what is different between those guns and yours? Comb, cast, grip, pitch, balance, barrels, rib, bead, chokes?
before the summit ascent i was shooting a 525sl bomb proof and shooting ok  ( I'm only a average shot )   but always thinking to improve   ,   as we know there's no magic wand out there     but good gun fit and being comfortable while shooting  must gain a few kills ?    

as my mate pointed out , " you don't see any top shots using one "   they seem to shoot flat rib types !! 

Did you px the 525 for the ascent, I take it you can't go back to the 525.

Try not to fall into the mind set 'I'm shooting bad because of the gun', unless it fits you totally wrong of course

Anyone checked you for gun fit in relation to where you eye is and the rib

Last edited by a moderator:
These were my ramblings after I initially bought one in 2015

https://www.shootclayforum.com/topic/14571-i-have-bought-a-new-gun/

2020 and I still have it, it definitely shoots flatter than my DT10 and echo clynt’s view in that they work best blotting the clay out or as near as damn it compared to my Browning’s or Beretta.

It does seem (albeit anecdotally) to throw tight patterns so I am using more open chokes than on my Berretta.

My first registered shoot with it was 88 ex 100 so was happy enough with how it shot first time out and I have been consistent with it. However, pre lockdown I was thinking of changing but I have no idea why I wanted to change or what gun I wanted to change too.

as my mate pointed out , " you don't see any top shots using one "   they seem to shoot flat rib types !! 
By that reasoning, a lot more of us would be off to the shops for DT's, Krieghoffs and the like. Would be great for the trade 😄

Seriously though, I don't think just a swap of guns would be an immediate cure for anything, unless the previous gun didn't fit you at all. If you think it shoots tight, try a different choke. When changing guns, I'd be prepared for a period of 'getting used to' the new gun and getting mount, swing, and timing back to where they were with the familiar gun (and hopefully better from there on in). Only practice will sort that. Other than that, a high rib would indeed make for a different sight picture, so there is that, but again practice should tell you if you're putting it in the correct place. Better yet, an hours lesson, checking fit, hold, posture and technique might help you regain confidence.

I can certainly say that I miss clays just for thinking I won't hit them :)  

Had mine 6 years now , standby for F3 pro for sporting , use it for the bit of trap I shoot , found mine to shoot very flat , gotta blot it to snot it , tried raising comb , does keep head high and eyes level , but as for raising shot poa ,not sure lifting comb does much with that , maybe a washer under bottom heel pad screw may achieve something try it , chokes (Maxis ) throw real good tight patterns , little recoil, pretty good for the money , had mine serviced once came back like new 
i was looking at a used f3 pro at orston gun club   , very nice , do you rate them ? 

Guerini are very nice guns but do tend not to hold their value as well as others when it comes to trading them in for some reason

I have had mine for 6 years and agree they do seem to shoot flat. I found the standard rounded butt pad uncomfortable and my scores and comfort improved with a slightly shorter but flatter pad.

I tried a number of them - including Clynt's - when I was deciding what to get next. But ultimately I bought a flat rib CG, as apart from the weight and balance I could personally see no real difference with the raised rib. Other opinions may differ. 😉

i was looking at a used f3 pro at orston gun club   , very nice , do you rate them ? 
feels better than most , shoots both barrels point of aim , easy to move , virtually little to no recoil , lovely trigger pulls , best ejectors out there, (keep them well lubed with light gun oil) , spectrum chokes ,provide awesome patterns with Fob and Fiocchi ammo incl all game loads , steel proof , I use KG4 gun oil over all metal parts , yes nitrate finish has its problems but keep em clean and they have little problems and Ian Mulliner is Mr Mender if you do, had mine now 9 years had two services and not shot much that would sway me to change .....

So the idea is for Dr. Lecter to purchase a different gun? I have to say I am a little surprised at that. 

But seeing as I'd love to improve my scores, I'm off to the gunshop 🤣

Agree with Clynt. I bought one after I picked his up. one of the best handling guns Ive ever shot, shot some good scores with it (not at the moment though☺️)

I like the 10 mm raised rib as I don't push my head down much. they can shoot a bit flat but that suits me, try raising it a touch.

I think its a great gun for the money.

One thing is they do shoot tight I never have more than 1/4--1/2  as that's more than enough for anything. Why I don't Know.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back