Shooting glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Is anyone using a pair of Optilabs Zeiss framed Ultra 2000's (Drivewear). I'm after a bit of feed back please.

I need a prescription lens but I don't really want to buy loads of lenses.

I suspect they will be very good, I think my friend is looking into them.

Another option that is popular these days, as suggested by sports vision expert, Ed Lyons...is to go for shooting glasses that you like, Pilla Randolph Ranger etc with the colour variety that is available, then pair that with specific contact lenses, if suitable.

I suspect they will be very good, I think my friend is looking into them.

Another option that is popular these days, as suggested by sports vision expert, Ed Lyons...is to go for shooting glasses that you like, Pilla Randolph Ranger etc with the colour variety that is available, then pair that with specific contact lenses, if suitable.
I had thought they might be good, contact lenses are no good to me as I use varifocal lenses for everyday use.

I thought of getting bi-focal then I can read the cards ^_^

Variofocals also but personally would rather shoot wearing contact lenses, getting the right pair is the trick

If you shoot comps you have to wear glasses, and I've only needed glasses as I got older and I don't want contact lenses thanks.

Contact Ed Lions at Flint & Partners, the man is a genius!
I talked to this gentleman a few years ago...I was asking for advice after cateract surgery, all he wanted to do was sell me some expensive glasses.

Ive been to see Ed Lyons and had the test he carries out very thorough sorted out my prescription and selected the best option colour wise to give me best results, Just recieved my new lenses in my ranger frames and the quality and clarity is first class just need to get out and shoot some targets now to see the difference as up to now only used ordinary shooting glasses. Alll in all Ive had a first class service from Ed and Flint & partners.

I shoot in peltor maxim's, prescription insert behind a set of wrap around lenses, you swap the arms and insert between 3 or 4 different coloured wrap around lenses. I rate them highly, that much so i have 2 pairs!

I talked to this gentleman a few years ago...I was asking for advice after cateract surgery, all he wanted to do was sell me some expensive glasses.
Hi Mike - pretty unfair and inaccurate comment here! I suggest you re read the email conversations we had and rescind that...

As I keep them all I can resend them to you should you wish.

All the best!

Ed

Ive been to see Ed Lyons and had the test he carries out very thorough sorted out my prescription and selected the best option colour wise to give me best results, Just recieved my new lenses in my ranger frames and the quality and clarity is first class just need to get out and shoot some targets now to see the difference as up to now only used ordinary shooting glasses. Alll in all Ive had a first class service from Ed and Flint & partners.
Glad to hear it Gareth! Keep me posted with how you get on :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my thoughts about the Drivewear lens:

I have used it successfully on a few occasions for light sensitive shooters in place of traditional Transitions/Reactolite lenses as it has a deeper "resting tint."

The information I have gathered about it is as follows:

In its "low light" state, the Ultra 2000 (Drivewear®) lens has an olive green tint. This is designed specifically for lighting conditions where a normal lens would struggle - perfect for fishing at dawn or dusk.

As the light increases, the lens will darken to a deep brown giving you the perfect degree of glare-free vision. The Ultra 2000 (Drivewear®) lens also has 100% U.V. protection, superb impact resistance giving excellent physical protection and is scratch resistant and water repellent.

I don't regularly use it for clay shooting for the reason that photochromic lenses can be somewhat limiting, i.e., they have a fixed bottom end level of light transmission and sometimes do not go quite dark or clear enough. As they react to ambient UV they do offer great protection for the eyes, although depending on whether you are shooting under shedding etc they can sometimes go too dark.

They work nicely for game shooting and are great to drive in (and EVERYBODY's requirements are different) but I tend to favour paler tints that can be changed to suit the conditions/layout.

They score points for both convenience as you dont have to lug multiple lenses around, and cost - I believe Optilabs are currently offering a "Christmas Discount" on their site which is

http://www.optilabs.com/site/pages.php?fid=0,5

Ed

I am likely getting some single vision Zeiss. I considered variable tint, then quickly remembered a stand at Weston where I was stood in bright sun, looking into a dark tree covered target area. If my lenses had darkened I may as well been blindfolded..

Hi Mike - pretty unfair and inaccurate comment here! I suggest you re read the email conversations we had and rescind that...

As I keep them all I can resend them to you should you wish.

All the best!

Ed
Hello Ed,

I cannot really remember what I sent in the emails but I do remember what our conversation was about over the phone.

You may send me the emails if you wish and I will read them and then post a reply on here.

Mike.

Here are my thoughts about the Drivewear lens:

I have used it successfully on a few occasions for light sensitive shooters in place of traditional Transitions/Reactolite lenses as it has a deeper "resting tint."

The information I have gathered about it is as follows:

In its "low light" state, the Ultra 2000 (Drivewear®) lens has an olive green tint. This is designed specifically for lighting conditions where a normal lens would struggle - perfect for fishing at dawn or dusk.

As the light increases, the lens will darken to a deep brown giving you the perfect degree of glare-free vision. The Ultra 2000 (Drivewear®) lens also has 100% U.V. protection, superb impact resistance giving excellent physical protection and is scratch resistant and water repellent.

I don't regularly use it for clay shooting for the reason that photochromic lenses can be somewhat limiting, i.e., they have a fixed bottom end level of light transmission and sometimes do not go quite dark or clear enough. As they react to ambient UV they do offer great protection for the eyes, although depending on whether you are shooting under shedding etc they can sometimes go too dark.

They work nicely for game shooting and are great to drive in (and EVERYBODY's requirements are different) but I tend to favour paler tints that can be changed to suit the conditions/layout.

They score points for both convenience as you dont have to lug multiple lenses around, and cost - I believe Optilabs are currently offering a "Christmas Discount" on their site which is

http://www.optilabs....ges.php?fid=0,5

Ed

Thanks for the honest opinion of these glasses Ed. I thought they might be a bit "dark" for shooting in, especially inside a wood or similar conditions.

Which lens in the Zeiss frame would you reccommend for every day use, Brown or Target Orange.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry if that's how the emails were interpreted - my intention was simply to let you know what was available to help the situation. The last thing I want is for people to think i'm on a hard sell!

You were correct in that the cataract ops can affect colour perception and if there is a small left over prescription, this can also be an issue which can be tackled with the correct eyewear.

As we mentioned, coming to see me was a bit of a trek anyway so I just wanted to tell you what you may be able to get and what you could expect to pay if you wanted to find a solution at a gun shop/optician locally to yourself.

The point of me joining the forum is to give free, impartial advice to help the community see better, shoot better and enjoy the sport!

If it ever looks that I am pushing any particular product, feel free to give me an electronic arse kicking!

All the best,

Ed

I also use Flint & Partners (Ed Lions), and can honestly say that they are the best opticians i have ever been to. My vision is now incredible & my shooting / scores have progresses massively through Ed's expertise. :)))

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry if that's how the emails were interpreted - my intention was simply to let you know what was available to help the situation. The last thing I want is for people to think i'm on a hard sell!

You were correct in that the cataract ops can affect colour perception and if there is a small left over prescription, this can also be an issue which can be tackled with the correct eyewear.

As we mentioned, coming to see me was a bit of a trek anyway so I just wanted to tell you what you may be able to get and what you could expect to pay if you wanted to find a solution at a gun shop/optician locally to yourself.

The point of me joining the forum is to give free, impartial advice to help the community see better, shoot better and enjoy the sport!

If it ever looks that I am pushing any particular product, feel free to give me an electronic arse kicking!

All the best,

Ed
Hello Ed,

Keep up the free advice and it was too far to travel to see you...but are you going to advise me on what colour lens "might" be best for everyday use a Target Orange or a Brown tint.

I'm tending to go with the orange tint myself which is nearly the colour that I'm using now, but mine's a cheap version from Specsavers :unsure:

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Two schools of thought here - the target Orange should theoretically let more light into the eye, and we know that from an optical perspective, paler tints are advantageous as they cause the pupil to constrict in size, giving us a better depth of focus.

It should also reduce glare whilst enhancing contrast which is the holy grail for clear, relaxed vision.

Perhaps shortlegs can give us his thoughts on his orange lens?

A deeper brown lens will be great in full or low sun, and they are especially useful for individuals who are more light sensitive: in your case, now you have had your cataracts removed and the implants put in, you should get less glare and scatter inside the eye, although I have clients who find life can be TOO bright once the filtering effect of the cataracts has been taken away! Everyone is different...

From the above, i would agree with you and go for the Target Orange for general use as it will be a great all round product - one would hope that the optical performance is better than your SS ones, and I would be really interested to know your thoughts on them.

However, when you compare the price to a three lens set of Pillas, i'd then ask Santa for a set of the Brown too!

Ed :cool:

Latest posts

Back