Glasses for long sight.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

As mentioned in another thread, I have had a bit of a bad run of form lately. At my last shoot, I noticed that my right eye (the one I use to look down the rib..) is unable to focus clearly at any distance (without prescription glasses on). This is just an inevitable advance of my long-sightedness. Because my left eye is better, this has covered the weakness up somewhat. I see an overall clear image, but the muzzle is a fuzzy blob. Yes, i know that if you stare at the target, the muzzle will never be in focus, but it shouldnt become the fuzzy blob.

I shoot without prescription lenses, and now wonder if this is starting to `not help`. For a couple of years now, I have often joked that I can see the clays; I just cant see the cartridges. Maybe the clays are becoming an issue.. :huh:

I have contacted Simon Goldsmith at `JH Steward (Bisley)`; mainly because I thought he was at Bisley! (Not too far). Actually he is in Bristol, but visits Bisley sometimes.. A good initial conversation.

Anyway, I have a plan for my eyes, possibly involving his prescription Zeiss glasses and a mild prescription, far less than for reading. Specsavers tomorrow will verify my eye status, particularly the focal difference between my two eyes (haven't been for 2 years).

So, has anybody here used him or the Zeiss glasses? Has anybody used prescription lenses for long-sightedness?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think TeePee wears the Zeiss glasses, from exactly that man.

Honestly Clever... I would also speak to Ed Lyons at Flint and Partners - he is excellent. It is Wolverhampton - but worth every penny. Given the odd problems I have with eyes (Short sighted, astigmatic, colour blind) he has proposed an excellent course of action to correct. And he has a wide range of shooting glasses to support his advice.

I can connect you by mail if you want.

Honestly Clever... I would also speak to Ed Lyons at Flint and Partners - he is excellent. It is Wolverhampton - but worth every penny. Given the odd problems I have with eyes (Short sighted, astigmatic, colour blind) he has proposed an excellent course of action to correct. And he has a wide range of shooting glasses to support his advice.

I use Ed Lions myself!! He is brilliant! Specsavers is a waste of time (you get what you pay for) an eye test with Ed takes approximately 2 hours. He's also a shooter himself, so thats half the battle.

How will he tackle the colour blindness ?

My Specsavers visit is simply for my everyday glasses, as used to see what I am typing :) I wont be mentioning shooting to them at all; but it will quantify my focal status.

Ed may be a stretch too far for what I need, as I think I have a very simple issue. No dominance problem, no colour issues, nothing of the Marty Feldman variety at all. Simple focal length issue; worse in right eye. I will bear him in mind if it gets even vaguely `off course` though.

Cheers

He won't (as I'm sure you know - he can't) - but by being creative with the lens situation, he has enabled me to use shooting glasses that are a - comfortable (lighter) and b - with interchangeable lenses so that I can give me self some flexibility about tints which can ease the problem. in specific situations.

Other opticians have proposed shooting glasses that would be too heavy (I.e. pilla with prescription inserts for my rx would be too heavy - as would Randolph Engineering), or single colour solutions (without getting multiple pairs) that would give me no flexibility.

I am only colour blind on certain combinations... so anything I can do to enhance dark clays against green backgrounds is an aid.

Will, it really depends on what you want and what you really need.

I use varifocal lenses for every day use, but distance glasses for shooting.

If you are vain and need designer wrap round glasses to look cool then there options available.

My shooting glasses are just reglazed safety glasses from work that i send to an online opticians using my prescription (specs-by-post),reglazed with 50% yellow tint £20 P+P does the job,or you can buy frames from them as well for not much more.

But you are short sighted right?

I'm not too fussed about how it looks. I'll worry about that if I do it. Watch this site for shoot bay and some possible nice hidefspex stuff.. Sniff..

I am Short Sighted and recently got some new glasses made up, mainly for driving.

I have been considering prescription lenses to go in my Pilla Panther Pro...however.

Last night I put my glasses on to play Call Of Duty with Mrs Skeet (she is better than me). Anyway...I tripled my average number of kills!

Whilst in the opticians, there was a suggestion that I could perhaps use contact lenses just for shooting, so I don't have to get RX lenses and deal with the possible issues that may arise.

Not looked into it fully yet and there are good and bad lenses, but...at about £40 for 36 pairs...that would do me for most of a year.

Worth looking into, if you can touch your eyeball ...

Ok. Did you used to shoot with no prescription? Is your shooting set a full prescription that you could read a book with, or less powerful?
No prescription to start with

As you get older your eyes start to go.my shooting glasses just have the distance part of my prescription in them.I cannot read my score card unless i put my varifocals on which also has my reading prescription in them.

No prescription to start with

As you get older your eyes start to go.my shooting glasses just have the distance part of my prescription in them.I cannot read my score card unless i put my varifocals on which also has my reading prescription in them.
Ok, so sounds like your varifocals are two strengths for long sight and you shoot with the milder one. That is what I am looking to do in principle.

Cheers W

Ok, so sounds like your varifocals are two strengths for long sight and you shoot with the milder one. That is what I am looking to do in principle.

Cheers W
Sounds about right as my reading part is +2 on to my distance part.

Don't try to shoot with varifocals though as that really messes with your head

I was short sighted so I use prescription inserts in my Pillas to see long distance, I went for this option so I only have to change the insert when my prescription changes which it has already,

I now over the last 18 months or so cannot see to read close up so need reading glasses at some point, didnt get on with contacts as have stigmatism and the lenses sometimes shifted and I struggled to put them in.

optometrist did try to tweek my prescription recently for right eye distance and left not so much but didnt work

Latest posts

Back