Shooting on the Isle of Wight??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I contacted a friend shooter who lives there. There is now also Bowcombe view which is open for practice bookings. Wednesday Friday and Sundays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

Yup, iow gun club is doing members only, there's one called island clay breaks/shepherd's chine which is Sunday mornings (can't do it... At a model village with a 2 year old 😊), and bowcombe is as you said Will. I'm booked up for a 3.30 squad. 👍🏻

Does your mate rate it or the others at all, for others reference? 

Both available sites have got facebook pages, and they both look set in stunning scenery; Shepherd's Chine is £25 for 80 clays overlooking the Channel, Bowcombe is £32.50 for 100 set in the middle of the countryside, so both about the same price, shame I can't shoot both as they're only open at limited times.

Very much looking forward to the change of scenery though. :)

Jesus, the dangerous goods form to get a shotgun and shells on the ferry isn't a barrel of laughs!
I see the point of bringing a shotgun, but are you also bringing shells? (Or is it just a single form for both?) In my limited experience sourcing shells locally is a pretty safe bet. Might even be less of a hassle as a gun only isn't as 'scary' to the layman / official as the combination of gun and munitions. 

Thanks for bringing it up either way, as I needed a reminder to look at some travel opportunities and similar requirements. 

Was prompted by Will to have a look and see if I could find my old log on....I am the friend in the IOW!

I think you are actually shooting with me this afternoon 😁
I would have also assisted with the carriage of your stuff... I’ll chat to you later...

Jennie
Hah, no worries. My squad time on Sunday is 3.30, dunno if that's when you're playing bang bang but either way hope we do well. 😊 Thanks for your help as well. 👍🏻

I see the point of bringing a shotgun, but are you also bringing shells? (Or is it just a single form for both?) In my limited experience sourcing shells locally is a pretty safe bet. Might even be less of a hassle as a gun only isn't as 'scary' to the layman / official as the combination of gun and munitions. 

Thanks for bringing it up either way, as I needed a reminder to look at some travel opportunities and similar requirements. 
Yeah, it's easy taking the lot, it was just one form that was a bit tricky to the layman but simple once they tell you what to put where. 

As it turns out, the form was literally just a declaration, I believed they'd hold the cartridges enroute but they didn't even look in it when I showed them my bag. I had to have my shotgun stored, locked away, so I wasn't tempted to get it out mid-voyage and go crazy though, but I'm guessing they're more beretta people than browning as I had to lean it up against a hoover, a wet vac, and a mop and bucket in the stores locker! 😅

It was all very straightforward and easy though, if anyone's thinking of doing it,... and God bless Wightlink Ferries for their helpfulness cos we turned up proper early to leave no stone unturned and they put us on the ferry departing an hour earlier just cos it was quiet. We only rocked up 5 minutes before it was due to depart! #result! 😉👍🏻

Oh, FYI, in response to your comment Luke, the IOW/port authorities seemed to treat shotguns and ammo as two completely different entities with regard to hazard: one as an explosive, the other as a threat in the wrong hands, so there wasn't much concern from them of it being 'scary', as you say. I guess if if acted like a knob around them, that might have been different, but they were cool. And yes, I could buy cartridges here... But then I'd have something to blame a sh1te score on! 😉😏😄

Oh, FYI, in response to your comment Luke, the IOW/port authorities seemed to treat shotguns and ammo as two completely different entities with regard to hazard: one as an explosive, the other as a threat in the wrong hands, so there wasn't much concern from them of it being 'scary', as you say. I guess if if acted like a knob around them, that might have been different, but they were cool. And yes, I could buy cartridges here... But then I'd have something to blame a sh1te score on! 😉😏😄
I'm going to have a right laugh with any foreign official at this point, whether on a boat, plane or elsewhere... My European Firearms Passport and all other papers have been prolonged by the Dutch police by a letter only, due to Corona restrictions and so on... No new papers, no stamps, no autographs etc. Understandable, right?

But the letter is in Dutch only and has no reference to either the number of my license, my EFP, or even the now extended expiry dates. Try explaining that in any language, as I doubt anyone understands why I carry an 'expired' EFP around with a silly letter in a language they don't read. I'll avoid travel (and handcuffs) until I get that sorted. Not that they'll have us anywhere with the current state of affairs anyway...  😷

Latest posts

Back