Multi-purpose shotgun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

---

I'm currently on the lookout for a multi purpose shotgun. I predominantly shoot DTL and occasionally sporting for fun. I would get a pure trap gun, however, I prefer a lighter gun (not bothered by recoil) and the fixed chokes are restrictive, and I tend to prefer a more open choke (yes you can break DTL & OT targets with less than 3/4). I also need an adjustable comb as traditional stocks do not fit me due to me being much taller than average. I am used to 30" barrels, which will cover DTL, OT & Sporting. 

I'm looking at these two adjustable comb, multichoke O/Us:

B525 Sporting adj (Trap Forend)

https://clunyguns.co.uk/products/browning-525-adj?variant=29787713896530

Winchester Select Trap adj

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/winchester-select-trap-adj-inv-12g

The Browning has Invector DS and the Winchester Invector+. 

The Browning will obviously have a nicer finish but is marketed as a sporting gun, so I'm wondering if I will run into any POI issues with DTL if the comb will not raise high enough? It is also ~£500 more. I like the sound of the 13mm wide rib on the Winchester. Is this the very wide rib that was on the Browning Broadway. I'm used to a very wide rib on my 101 trap.

If anyone could shed some light as to which of these might be the better purchase that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without wishing to be too blunt, you need to decide what you want to shoot. Using a sporter for trap will involve compromises in terms of fit and possibly technique. If you want to shoot trap casually without any focus on score and performance then fair enough, a sporter will probably do. If your aspiration is to succeed then you will need a trap gun, there really is no way around this. Remember too that it’s easier to shoot sporting with a trap gun than it is the other way around.

A quick Guntrader search search shows plenty of decent quality trap guns for around £1000-1500. You can always have a fixed choke gun multichoked if you wish to shoot other disciplines.

Without wishing to be too blunt, you need to decide what you want to shoot. Using a sporter for trap will involve compromises in terms of fit and possibly technique. If you want to shoot trap casually without any focus on score and performance then fair enough, a sporter will probably do. If your aspiration is to succeed then you will need a trap gun, there really is no way around this. Remember too that it’s easier to shoot sporting with a trap gun than it is the other way around.

A quick Guntrader search search shows plenty of decent quality trap guns for around £1000-1500. You can always have a fixed choke gun multichoked if you wish to shoot other disciplines.
Raise the comb to reduce the drop, 30" barrel, beavertale Forend, screw in some 1/2 & 3/4 or 3/4 & full chokes - you have yourself a trap gun set up. I don't see how that puts you at any disadvantage? The only thing missing from what you call a 'decent quality trap gun' is added weight and fixed chokes, and if youre not recoil sensitive and know how to control the swing of a lighter gun then what's the use in the added weight? Getting a trap gun multichoked will still make it too heavy for sporting and also make it less sellable as it's been modified. I'd argue it's easier to shoot trap with a multi-purpose gun than it is to shoot sporting with a trap gun

Getting a trap gun multichoked will still make it too heavy for sporting and also make it less sellable as it's been modified. I'd argue it's easier to shoot trap with a multi-purpose gun than it is to shoot sporting with a trap gun
I’ll disagree with that . In your price range is  a Miroku Mk38 trap . Ideal for shooting sporting without messing about with the comb height  . .The fixed choke barrels are light and pointable .Teague precision have probably converted more of these to multi-choke than any other gun they work on .  It’s probably only 8 or 10 ounces heavier than the 525 multichoke . 

Of the two guns you hyperlinked , you’d have to try them as the actions are so different in design the guns will feel different . The deep Browning /Miroku  full  hinge pin actions will feel much different in the hands to the Winchester which is built on a Beretta like trunnion action .  The Browning is built from scratch in Japan by Miroku , The Winchester assembled from various components at a Browning plant in Portugal . It’s cheaper for a reason , it’s a budget gun . 

Raise the adjustable comb up to reduce the drop, 30" barrels, screw in some 1

I’ll disagree with that . In your price range is  a Miroku Mk38 trap . Ideal for shooting sporting without messing about with the comb height  . .The fixed choke barrels are light and pointable .Teague precision have probably converted more of these to multi-choke than any other gun they work on .  It’s probably only 8 or 10 ounces heavier than the 525 multichoke . 

Of the two guns you hyperlinked , you’d have to try them as the actions are so different in design the guns will feel different . The deep Browning /Miroku  full  hinge pin actions will feel much different in the hands to the Winchester which is built on a Beretta like trunnion action .  The Browning is built from scratch in Japan by Miroku , The Winchester assembled from various components at a Browning plant in Portugal . It’s cheaper for a reason , it’s a budget gun . 
I'll agree the Mk38 is the GOAT trap gun for the money, which lends itself to sporting. I had one in 32" but it wasn't for me (it's actually for sale on Guntrader if you know anyone interested). Traditional stocks tend to work for the shorter, stockier shooter but not so much for me as I'm very tall and have a long neck - I need a Monte, or, ideally adjustable. That is a fair point - I will try and see if there is a 2nd hand 525 I can try. I doubt any gun trader will have a non new Winchester they would be willing to let me try.

Raise the comb to reduce the drop, 30" barrel, beavertale Forend, screw in some 1/2 & 3/4 or 3/4 & full chokes - you have yourself a trap gun set up. I don't see how that puts you at any disadvantage? The only thing missing from what you call a 'decent quality trap gun' is added weight and fixed chokes, and if youre not recoil sensitive and know how to control the swing of a lighter gun then what's the use in the added weight? Getting a trap gun multichoked will still make it too heavy for sporting and also make it less sellable as it's been modified. I'd argue it's easier to shoot trap with a multi-purpose gun than it is to shoot sporting with a trap gun
There’s more to it than that. There‘a a reason why trap shooters shoot trap guns rather than modified sporters, it’s because they’re made for the job. 

Trap guns generally have wider stocks at the comb and heel, a wider radius grip, often with a palm swell, heavier barrels with a wider sighting plane. The additional weight and altered dimensions makes for a solid shooting platform. Stability comes at the expense of barrel speed.

The long and short of it is you need a trap gun if you wish to shoot DTL to a consistently high standard. As the old phrase goes, a jack of all trades gun is the master of none. Decide what you want to shoot and find a gun for the job. If you do shoot multiple disciplines with one gun then accept it’s a compromise.

Oh, and ease up on the attitude a little. You’ve asked for advice and I’ve given it based upon years at the sharp end of trap competition. There’s no point asking for guidance if you dismiss what’s said because you don’t like the way it fits.

To be fair to the original request by Tomshem93 he has acknowledged that he wants a lighter gun than a pure trap tool - which, by design, are heavier.   He's also asking for 30" barrels so we can deduce that he's probably not a physically big either.

There is no doubt that guns that are developed for a specific discipline do provide an advantage if you have sufficient skill to take advantage of it, however if you are a general middle-of-the-road shooter then a Sporter will do the job most of the time - probably the difference between winning and being in the top 3 perhaps? 

There’s more to it than that. There‘a a reason why trap shooters shoot trap guns rather than modified sporters, it’s because they’re made for the job. 

Trap guns generally have wider stocks at the comb and heel, a wider radius grip, often with a palm swell, heavier barrels with a wider sighting plane. The additional weight and altered dimensions makes for a solid shooting platform. Stability comes at the expense of barrel speed.

The long and short of it is you need a trap gun if you wish to shoot DTL to a consistently high standard. As the old phrase goes, a jack of all trades gun is the master of none. Decide what you want to shoot and find a gun for the job. If you do shoot multiple disciplines with one gun then accept it’s a compromise.

Oh, and ease up on the attitude a little. You’ve asked for advice and I’ve given it based upon years at the sharp end of trap competition. There’s no point asking for guidance if you dismiss what’s said because you don’t like the way it fits.
I'm not saying you're wrong or doubting your experience. If you try to shoot DTL with a 26" sporter with a massive drop at the heel then you're going to have a dreadful time. All I was trying to say that things have moved on since the early days, and there are guns that can be adapted to a trap like setup. Yes, you're not going to shoot 300/300 like some guy with an £8000 MX8. I'm not competing at the top. It doesn't mean you have to buy a fixed choke trap gun to shoot 66/75+ though. If you want to talk about attitude then maybe don't start advice with 'Without wishing to be too blunt'. It doesn't make you come across as particularly friendly or helpful. 

A Caesar Guerini summit impact is a good gun for both DTL and Sporting, the barrels are quite light even with all the scaffolding down the barrel. 

Latest posts

Back