Damp cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeF3

Hi All.

I’ve  has a bit of an issue, a window has leaked slightly Where I store my cartridges and the 2 slabs that were on the floor have got a bit damp. They wernt sat in the water but was defo some mould on the cardboard. 

Only noticed this once I had shot some and noticed the powder hadn’t burnt and were some really low recoil and performance issues.

I’ve now got them on the radiator drying out,

1 will this help?

2 will they be back to peak performance if so?

fiocchi Fblack plastic cartridges.

many thanks

If they are not paper cased, they should be fine. I would put them at the top of the pile to be used first, but after many years of shooting on a marsh and more wettings than I care to remember whilst inland shooting my plastic cased cartridges have stood up to it rather well. I am unable to comment about the effects damp would have on steel,  it seems to have taken it's toll on motor vehicles over the years though  !  I did always dry them off at home before storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dry them - if the powder burns then you should be fine.

Westley is right - Mark the slabs/boxes and use them first.

Dry them - if the powder burns then you should be fine.

Westley is right - Mark the slabs/boxes and use them first.
I’ve got them drying will leave them a few weeks to dry first I think, il take some to practice with somewhere and see if they are any better. Dont want to use them in competition.

lee

I’ve got them drying will leave them a few weeks to dry first I think, il take some to practice with somewhere and see if they are any better. Do t want to use them in competition.

lee
As others have said they should be fine. You should always check your barrels are clear,  especially though  if you think one sounded a bit different or felt soft. 

As others have said they should be fine. You should always check your barrels are clear,  especially though  if you think one sounded a bit different or felt soft. 
That’s what happened and found a wad stuck in the end. But only happened once.

I shot them today, couldn’t fault them.  Tiny bit of dirt left in the barrels but nothing major. Good kills as usual with the blacks.

Got mine (2-3k) submerged completely for 4 hours (long story)...anyway - they worked very dirty the very first weekend. Then I left them in a boiler room over the winter, all went off like new.

They are Fiocchi, there will ALWAYS be dirt there  !    :whistle:
Not now I’ve dried them more. Work like a brand new cartridge after drying. 

Fiocchi are the cleanest cartridge I’ve used. 

What do you use?

Cheddite  or Hull Superfarts.  I recently had a 1000 load of Eley Superbs, they work well enough, but they are filthy down the barrels. I store all my cartridges in the same place at the same temperature,  using my usual 2 brands, the barrels are very clean with no large particles of powder left behind. I have shot Fiocchi and in fact still use the 28 gram 65mm game load in my S x S, PL28's I think, but they are dirtier.

Latest posts

Back