Trap bead sight picture. How much rib?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

---

I've recently gotten a new trap gun and have been taking a bit of time to get used to it. My previous gun, which I still have, has an adjustable comb, which I raise at the back to make it a Monte Carlo. I see a good few mm gap between the mid and front bead this way, which allows me to cast my vision out and see the bird more clearly. 

My new gun doesnt have an adjustable comb and the beads are stacked in a figure 8. Some people say that's 'proper gunfit' but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Does anyone like to see a good gap between beads for DTL? Does it make you shoot a bit higher? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Proper Gunfit is when the gun shoots either where you look or where you want (JIC you want strange).  What the rib looks like is really pretty much meaningless unless maybe you can't see past it.

I've recently gotten a new trap gun and have been taking a bit of time to get used to it. My previous gun, which I still have, has an adjustable comb, which I raise at the back to make it a Monte Carlo. I see a good few mm gap between the mid and front bead this way, which allows me to cast my vision out and see the bird more clearly. 

My new gun doesnt have an adjustable comb and the beads are stacked in a figure 8. Some people say that's 'proper gunfit' but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Does anyone like to see a good gap between beads for DTL? Does it make you shoot a bit higher? 
A figure of 8 is the generally considered ideal but plenty deviate from that with success. Comb height has no bearing on point of impact anyway, all a high comb does is lift your head and improve visibility.

I’d suggest if your seeing a good sight picture but are still dropping points the issue lies elsewhere, perhaps the cast is incorrect.

I have my stock Monte Carlo style and it measures 30mm - 30 mm so I see quite a bit of rib. I do not have a mid bead but I can put two Euro coins about 15cm down the rib and still see the bead over the top of them. I agree with Charlie the amount of rib is not really significant as long as you know where you are pointing your gun. Just shoot the gun and note your breaks trying to get them really good eventually you will become used to where you need to have the gun in to relation to the target ... I do not shoot DTL though.

@Jan Powell that's it. Since it's a flatter sight picture the end of the barrel sits more in the middle of my visual field which is getting in the way of me casting my eyes out to the bird.

I shoot UT, ABT and some OT but haven't shot DTL for probably 30 years.  I don't want to see a lot of rib, I like my eye close to the barrels and look forward through the bead in my peripheral vision towards my pick up point which is just beyond the front of the trench roof, 15m away from the shooting peg.  If you're seeing the bead, in crystal clear vision then you're looking at the end of the barrels and not beyond the end of them.  For the Scottish Frenchman😀 my drop is 37 / 47mm and most people who pick my gun up say it would suit them for sporting it's that flat for them, for me that's the way I want it.  Most of us old shooting codgers were brought up on Browning, Miroku and Winchesters and the figure of eight sight picture, and made adjustments to comb height to get it.

Most of us old shooting codgers were brought up on Browning, Miroku and Winchesters and the figure of eight sight picture, and made adjustments to comb height to get it.
And shoot them very successfully Phil ... all the best! Shame nearly all the comps were cancelled this year. We have had a fantastic summer and I have shot very little because of the lockdown . Now not going to Lonato for my usual holiday in September either sigh roll on next year!

And shoot them very successfully Phil ... all the best! Shame nearly all the comps were cancelled this year. We have had a fantastic summer and I have shot very little because of the lockdown . Now not going to Lonato for my usual holiday in September either sigh roll on next year!
Gutted not to be going to the ECH at Ychoux John, would've been setting out this Thursday in the motorhome.  Got £340 of Eurotunnel return crossing to use by February next year, the time of my booking for Ychoux's original June crossings.  Weighing up at the moment whether to come over in October for a tour around the Normandy/Brittany coastline instead, Mary has suggested trying to book our usual apartment in Desenzano as an alternative. A fortnight quarantine on our return doesn't bother us being retired. Told FITASC to transfer our entries to the ECH next year.

Comb height most definitely affects POI as it changes the relationship of the gun to the body(eyes).  Learning where a gun shoots and adapting to that is absurd.  Make the gun shoot where you want it too.  I mean -WTF was the try-stock invented for over 100 yrs ago and used by every bespoke gun maker in the world - even England.

obviously not JMO

Gutted not to be going to the ECH at Ychoux John, would've been setting out this Thursday in the motorhome.  Got £340 of Eurotunnel return crossing to use by February next year, the time of my booking for Ychoux's original June crossings.  Weighing up at the moment whether to come over in October for a tour around the Normandy/Brittany coastline instead, Mary has suggested trying to book our usual apartment in Desenzano as an alternative. A fortnight quarantine on our return doesn't bother us being retired. Told FITASC to transfer our entries to the ECH next year.
Yes Phil it was going to be a great year ...two big comps at Ychoux for which I had accommodation booked in January and I was thinking about Umbriaverde but thankfully decided against that so no bookings to cancel there. I was lucky compared to you I had no travel bookings to worry about. Would really like to go to Italy but it is starting to kick off again I don't think it is worth it. Hopefully see you at Ychoux June next year.

For anyone interested - Russel Mark seems to sum it up pretty well in this video at 1:50 you see the kind of sight picture, and amount of drop you're looking for on a modern trap gun. My new trap gun with a traditional stock is definitely not suited to me as I'm getting more of a sight picture ideal for sporting. Traditional stocks on trap guns don't work out for tall people with long necks and higher cheek bones like myself - your eye will sit too low and the action gets in the way, so you can't see the bird (not necessarily to do with POI).

Latest posts

Back