Trap / DTL shooting position

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

---

I have always been told when mounting a shotgun to bring the stock right up into your cheek before putting it in the shoulder, as this makes sure that you head will be straight when going down onto the stock, and your eyes level. I see a lot of proper trap shooters where this doesn't apply - they bring the gun fairly low in the shoulder and bend their neck down to bring their cheek to the stock. As well as bending their neck down they also hunch their top half of their back to lean in. It looks quite uncomfortable. If anything, it might tempt you to lifting your head due to the tension it creates in the top of the spine.

It also seems to contradict general tips on proper gun position for gun fit, as their should be approximately a 3 finger width gap between the cheek and the end of the stock. This gun position basically has the cheek resting on top of the hand grip.

What is the reason for this unique shooting position in proper trap discipines? See photo for refence

rio-2016-olympic-games-shooting-olympic-shooting-centre-brazil-shutterstock-editorial-5826051c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Essentially, trap shooting’s about getting off a rapid but controlled shot perfectly every time. As there’s relatively little lateral gun movement required the competitor can afford to mount deep then position their head forward towards the front of the comb, they almost rifle shoot the target. The three finger gap is one of those long held clubhouse ideals that means nothing as far as trap’s concerned and is probably best ignored. Tilting the body from the waist locks things tight, helps prevent gun twist, soaks up recoil and allows a controlled second barrel shot. Some will raise the trigger arm elbow too.

Having said this, look at trap line in the UK or overseas and you’ll probably see a variety of different styles. Some keep the body fairly upright and drop the head naturally. Others lean into the gun and screw their head down (watch some videos of Kirsty Barr and you’ll see what I mean). There’s no one perfect technique.

Essentially, trap shooting’s about getting off a rapid but controlled shot perfectly every time. As there’s relatively little lateral gun movement required the competitor can afford to mount deep then position their head forward towards the front of the comb, they almost rifle shoot the target. The three finger gap is one of those long held clubhouse ideals that means nothing as far as trap’s concerned and is probably best ignored. Tilting the body from the waist locks things tight, helps prevent gun twist, soaks up recoil and allows a controlled second barrel shot. Some will raise the trigger arm elbow too.

Having said this, look at trap line in the UK or overseas and you’ll probably see a variety of different styles. Some keep the body fairly upright and drop the head naturally. Others lean into the gun and screw their head down (watch some videos of Kirsty Barr and you’ll see what I mean). There’s no one perfect technique.
Maybe ‘almost rifle shooting’ the target might work at DTL it wouldn’t get you far at Ball Trap and would probably guarantee you’d only try Olympic Trap once.

DTL may be difficult to win at but do not confuse it with a fast trap game like UT, ABT or OT which require shooting by the swing through method. Making decent scores shooting with a dead gun would be a feat IMO and second barrel hits would be near impossible.

DTL may be difficult to win at but do not confuse it with a fast trap game like UT, ABT or OT which require shooting by the swing through method. Making decent scores shooting with a dead gun would be a feat IMO and second barrel hits would be near impossible.
There’s no confusion and I’m not sure where you get the dead gun thing from. I’m not suggesting that any targets are shot that way, merely that the lateral gun movement is minimised.

There’s no confusion and I’m not sure where you get the dead gun thing from. I’m not suggesting that any targets are shot that way, merely that the lateral gun movement is minimised.
I am obviously misinterpreting what you mean by " rifle shooting" because to me that suggests to me a dead gun ie stopped and aiming. Just my opinion but any deliberate eye /bead coordination is a very bad way to shoot trap. You are clearly a more experienced shooter than me but I don't understand the "rifle shooting" thing it is not something I would suggest as a method for breaking fast moving trap targets.

Back to the OP - 

If you check the videos of  Olympic/bunker/UT/helice competitions you'll see a fairly uniform mounting style such as your photo.  as Jan said

trap shooting’s about getting off a rapid but controlled shot perfectly every time
and that type of gun mount lets that happen as well as a controlled second shot.  Been that way for a few decades so not a news flash.  We're not talking 1930's game guns at high phez.  Pigeon shooters from early on were not game gun style shooters and pigeons are where trap came from.

I am obviously misinterpreting what you mean by " rifle shooting" because to me that suggests to me a dead gun ie stopped and aiming. Just my opinion but any deliberate eye /bead coordination is a very bad way to shoot trap. You are clearly a more experienced shooter than me but I don't understand the "rifle shooting" thing it is not something I would suggest as a method for breaking fast moving trap targets.
John - stop it.  You know perfectly well what Jan is talking about.  No arguments unless you pay the fee   :lolu:

Back