Would I be a philistine...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebo

...if I bought an English side x side and had an adjustable comb fitted to the stock?

Got an old DT10 hanging around for sale at Sporting Targets that doesn't seem to be getting much interest (probably because it's 28 inch barrels).  Rather than waiting for the perfect buyer to come along, I was thinking of maybe part exchanging it on a single trigger side by side that is up for sale elsewhere.  Want it for a bit of fun and maybe the odd sxs competition.  However, I know it's very unlikely to fit me off the shelf as my preference is to see a lot of rib and it'll have to be shortened / pitch altered as well.  If I get it, as well as getting the lop / pitch changes done I was also thinking of having an adjustable comb fitted.  I've never seen a sxs with an adjustable comb, is it not the done thing?

After being quoted anything from £250 to £600 for an adjustable comb and shortening, and a quote from Manuel Ricardo for €550 (grade 1) for a custom stock (thus the original one remains intact). 

MR now offers an over tinterweb /postal service, he calls “One Click Gun Stock”... It’s considerably more than one click! 

So you don’t have to pay up for the travel expenses (not a hardship to have a four day holiday in Porto IMO)

I doubt you’ll be more of a Philistine than painting your stock in a Van Gogh inspired style 😊

Yes you would be🤣 . It’s a serious crime against good taste . But it’s your money so other peoples opinions are irrelevant. 

The stock could possibly  be bent up if you think it’s too low . Or just get a comb raiser .,If you’re talking an English made gun as well,  you’ve probably just rendered it unsellable again without a huge discount . Go see a good stocker before you buy the gun and ask what they could do .   If you get it shortened please do a lovely job , if you have a pad fitted make it an orange Silvers , or even a leather covered one 

Last edited by a moderator:
It has long been my contention that SxS bound by tradition will always fail to be competitive or once again popular.  Ignoring of course the usual whine about them being too expensive to produce as compared to am O/U.  Messing around with an older Beretta 626, not sure about that since it was marketed as a GR3 here, I padded up the comb, glued on a palm swell, reduced the pitch to near zero and went out to the club.  At my remaining skill level it was as effective as the Perazzis.  The Beretta field triggers tho of the same design as the O/U's are pretty horrible so I still have to sort that.  And I've acquired another old stock and have plans to use some bondo stuff to give it a proper 21stCentury shape and then make the comb an adjusto.  I may even add one of those stick-on ribs but rib height is mostly a non-issue with me.  

Anyway - it's your gun,  Do whatever you like to it

JMO of course

here is an interesting discussion that is mostly stoopid and cretin yapping the SOS and is what holds the SxS back.  Personally I find the whole off-center recoil, twisting, barrel flip comments in usual SxS discussions to be just so much BS.  I'm aware of none of that with the modestly reconfigured Beretta stock.  And that moronic "barrel flip" that is so dreaded is in denial of Newtonian physics and the mechanical lock-up of quality guns.  I suspect that it is actually a manifestation of the ridiculous amount of pitch that seems to infest  the SxS I've shot.  Again - JMO

https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/shotgun-talk/3582-o-u-versus-sxs.htm l

here's a pic like I mean and the shooter is a very successful international doubles shooter and power in SxS competitions.  To my shame I don't recall his name.  And even tho the "experts" on SxS in the above discussion are unable to identify it the gun is a Beretta in the 450 series prolly a 452.  Beautiful guns.

ClaysSxS.jpg

The gun in question.  Seen an alternative similarly priced Beretta which I suppose would less sacrilegious to hack about.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My initial reaction. 

1. Yes you would  2 if you do shoot game it will be fine with as it is.  3. if are determined to have it for Clay's   buy a a removable comb raiser and if you intend on shooting more than a box full of cartridges, book an appointment  at the dentist 🙂.

4 if you just want yo have one and appreciate it for what it is rather than use it  ( they do have some class about them) then no need to change anything. 

5. Keep the DT10 and shoot skeet. 

I have one and wouldn't sell it or change it in any way. Can't hit a clay with it but weirdly don't struggle on game any more than i would with my OU sporter. 

I would be a bit reluctant to buy a gun that is predominantly going to be used on clays, chambered for 2 1/2" cartridges. THAT does severely restrict which cartridges you use through it. In fact if you intend to use the gun solely for clays, look at some of the Continental models available or the old Winchester 23 guns. Remember that English guns (and that looks like an English gun  ?) were made for field shooting and light weight was a BIG factor. I know because I have a Westley Richards 2 1/2" chambered game gun weighing 6lbs 3ozs. I have used 32 gram cartridges through the gun, but if I fire 100 cartridges on a game day, then it has been a 'red letter' day  !  (and some)

Get a cheap ou 20 bore sporter if you want some fun. I got a 525 sporter 20 gauge earlier this year in 30" and it has been brilliant fun to shoot, the dt11 has been out the cabinet twice since February, 20 bore has been out 6 or 8 times.

Have a look on Malmo Guns website, some good pics. of a  Salvinelli sidelock, single trigger, 2 3/4" chambers AND..........a beaver tail forend, just made for clay shooting. (similar money too).

i have a Huglu S/T pistol grip SxS 30" kicks extended ported chokes, fitted comb raiser and weighs about the same as an over  and under.

Don't shoot it very often but it always puts a smile on my face when i do and a 1/3rd of the price you are thinking of...

Isnt the point to hit what you aim at? doesnt matter what fashonistas (?) think , if you want it to fit you do what ever it needs , I certainly wouldnt hesitate to fit an adjustable , although I would definately say go for one with a beavertail fore end for clays , try it ,enjoy it thats the point

Now I want to shoot skeet with this or something similar. But I'd advocate going all the way and fitting an Ergosign, TSK or similar to the SxS. Just so the "sacrilege"-crowd would have something more to mutter about :)   You'd be doing them a favour as to some looks (and words about) are more important than hitting what you're aiming for. 

With respect to the fugly Italian side by side above , mans ingenuity to solve a problem that doesn’t exist never fails to amaze me .

I can just imagine at the next product development meeting ...

“ hey Giuseppe , this pig of a gun isn’t selling too well , any ideas ? “

“ Well Silvio , we already have the pistol grip trap stock , we have the raised rib , the beaver tail fore end , we’ve got the extended chokes ... hmmm perhaps if we turned the barrels through 90 degrees and called it the “ superposed “ ..... job sorted 

Your gun, your money, your choice, who cares what other people think they're not you or inside your head/body.

Live for the now, not regrets, buy to use and love not to re sell.

I imagine it would be a great talking point and an ice breaker, no two opinions would agree.

I wouldn't like it, but if I was you and wanted it, I would have bought it and done it by now.

Go on be a devil, sod opinion😈

Your gun, your money, your choice, who cares what other people think they're not you or inside your head/body.

Live for the now, not regrets, buy to use and love not to re sell.

I imagine it would be a great talking point and an ice breaker, no two opinions would agree.

I wouldn't like it, but if I was you and wanted it, I would have bought it and done it by now.

Go on be a devil, sod opinion😈
Can only give this one like but deserve so much more

👍👍👍👍👍👌👌👌👌👏👏👏👏👏

Latest posts

Back