MK60 vs mk38 trap for sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgnmi

Hi,

Does anyone shoot a mk60 for sporting. I read via Mike Yardley that the barrels are lighter.

I shot an 30" MK60 sporter from about 2002 - 2006. It started life with 1/4 and 3/4 fixed chokes but I had it converted by Teague to thinwall screw chokes. Yes the barrels are very light and I eventually concluded as my shooting evolved, that they were too light. It was deadly on close fast targets but in my hands not stable enough on longer crossers and chandelles etc. Years later I tried one with 32" barrels and it felt great, but they are very rare.

With hindsight I would have been better off with an MK38 trap - but I didn't know that back then.

mirokus are great but the mk60 i thought was a game gun ?   and the mk38 a trap gun      the used gun racks have many altered miroku shotguns , that oviously never worked out , buy a gun designed for your chosen discipline , I'm sure it will work out cheaper in the long run      jmot !  

mirokus are great but the mk60 i thought was a game gun ?   and the mk38 a trap gun      
When i bought my 60 in about 2003 there was sporter model as well as game. I think they eventually merged them into a universal model. The 38 evolved from the 3800 trap guns but they've had sporter versions since at least 2004.  Many find the combs too low on Miroku sporters so the trap guns are still popular with sporting clays shooters.

I ask as I am going to look at both this week. MK38 32 fixed, trap, no cast (I am a lefty so I cannot hope in the USA for one) He has the 60 and the 38 at the same price. 

Mirokus are rare here in the USA. Now why Miroku vs Browning for me. I hate porting and chokes. I prefer fixed for the feel and I am not a changer. I like beaver tail and do not like schnabel

If cast neutral, great. 

Browning USA sells 32, ported, and choked. I can find un ported but not unchoked but only in dedicated right hand. 

The engraving and wood on G5 is also nice. 

Thank you all for the feedback and user expertise. 

The comb height and light lively barrels are also a plus. 

Back when I started shooting in 2008 and was voraciously consuming anything and everything to do with my latest obsession I recall reading that a Sporter would be described to throw a 60/40 pattern from the centre line of the barrels.  Whereas a Trap gun would throw a 70/30 pattern as befits something that is intended to shoot rising, going away targets.

I've never tried using a Trap gun on Sporting but guess as I prefer raised rib Sporters so I'd probably get on alright with a Trap weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 38 Trap IMHO has very good stock configuration for sporting , straight from the box , with the exception of the factory fit Pachmayer type recoil pad ,which is changed for something else on 95% of that model used in the U.K as a sporting gun . There’s no need to “Sporterise/bastardise “  the stock height again IMHO

I had 3/8 of cast off added to my stock , no reason the OP couldn’t get a MK 38 cast on for LH if they can’t live with the standard straight-ish stock .  I’ve tried the MK60 12 g and for me the comb was low I ended up looking into the back of the top lever not along the rib .  I bought a MK60 20 for game , same issue as the 12 and I had the stock bent up to raise the comb . 

One of my game shooting pals has a pair of MK60 32" guns and he shoots everything really well with them. That includes sporting clays. However I couldn't shoot them at anything as they are too low in the comb for me. 

Another mate has a MK 38 32" sporter and he has had to have a comb raiser fitted so that he can get it to fit 'properly'. For me that gun is (was!) miles too low also.

I have shot MK 38 Trap guns off the shelf and the comb height is bang on for me.

my 3800 is a trap, and standard stock although fitted factory adjustable , at standard height all I could see was top lever so adjusted it higher ,for me it now shoots flat so to make a sweeping statement that a trap stock shouldnt need changing is in correct , we all have differant physical features and dimensions so what suits one may be way of for another , buy the one that suits and fits you best , get a adjustable comb fitted if needed and when set correctly leave it alone and crack on.good luck

One of my sons first guns was a 30" grade 5 MK60, he loved it and is the only gun he regrets selling...that said at 14 he was what you might call "fast" and the handling suited his style of shooting...oh to have young eyes! We did a lot of patterning and found it to be more consistent than the multi choke Browning 725 I had at the time. Great game gun but just as good for clays.

Back