DTL question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRINITY

Hello guys, back for a bit of shooting discussion  and help please.

When shooting registered DTL the squad can clear their guns and see a bird on the first round. However I am very new to the sport and have been told you used to be allowed one bird each for a practice shot before starting the first round. This seems quite sensible to me and would be no more inconvenient that seeing a bird and clearing guns. Can you tell me why the practice ended and also what are you allowed on the other trap disciplines before starting the round.

Thanks

you used to be allowed one bird each for a practice shot before starting the first round
So I don't really know the rules for DTL as the may differ from international and ATA sorta trap but that extra shooting sounds like a grand waster of time.  You need practice  you do it before the event.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only speak for myself but personally pulling the trigger for the first time on a scored target is not a good thing.  Clearing the gun is a sort of wake up thingie.

YMMV

When shooting DTL & ABT peg 1 calls off a target at the start of each new layout/round of 25. You don’t do it in UT & OT as they’re set schemes so if peg 1 were to call off a target to view he/she would know exactly where their first target was going 😉

Yes, when you miss the first one you shout 'clearing the gun' then it doesn't count and you can take it again, or in my case again and again and again 😃

Hello guys, back for a bit of shooting discussion  and help please.

When shooting registered DTL the squad can clear their guns and see a bird on the first round. However I am very new to the sport and have been told you used to be allowed one bird each for a practice shot before starting the first round. This seems quite sensible to me and would be no more inconvenient that seeing a bird and clearing guns. Can you tell me why the practice ended and also what are you allowed on the other trap disciplines before starting the round.

Thanks
You’re right, years ago competitors were allowed a practice target before the first round commenced. When this ended I’m not sure, I’d guess in the 1990’s. It was binned because the CPSA felt it unnecessarily slowed events down.

Oddly and without any real appetite from DTL competitors for it to return, the sub committee recommended it be reintroduced a couple of years ago. The board wouldn’t run with it though.

Ah,so we need to get a clear the gun stand at sporting shoots then?
not uncommon at other sorts of shotgun comps I've attended over the years.  A practice stand where you could pop a couple targets pre-event would likely be helpful.

just a thot

You’re right, years ago competitors were allowed a practice target before the first round commenced. When this ended I’m not sure, I’d guess in the 1990’s. It was binned because the CPSA felt it unnecessarily slowed events down.

Oddly and without any real appetite from DTL competitors for it to return, the sub committee recommended it be reintroduced a couple of years ago. The board wouldn’t run with it though.
Cheers Jan, 

I just think we are in a futile halfway house as the rule stands. By the time each individual shooter has cleared their guns, then stand one calls to see a bird, everyone may as well have been given a practice shot. 

Maybe the grounds were behind it all, making a round cost 501 Clay's rather than 505 😁

Cheers Jan, 

I just think we are in a futile halfway house as the rule stands. By the time each individual shooter has cleared their guns, then stand one calls to see a bird, everyone may as well have been given a practice shot. 

Maybe the grounds were behind it all, making a round cost 501 Clay's rather than 505 😁
I’m not sure it was the grounds that had an issue with its reintroduction. I think the board and most of the shooters saw it as unnecessary.

Personally, when I clear my barrels I simulate shooting a target so the fact that a target isn’t flying doesn’t really make much difference.

Mental preparation is key though. The first couple of targets at the start of each round need focus, once your mind adjusts to the squad timing things get a little easier.

Reactions: ips
Ah,so we need to get a clear the gun stand at sporting shoots then?
Fitasc sporting used to have a "flambe" rule up untill something like 2006 where your were invited to rattle of a couple of shells at the start. It was subsequently taken out of the rules to speed up the timings.

Fitasc sporting used to have a "flambe" rule up untill something like 2006 where your were invited to rattle of a couple of shells at the start. It was subsequently taken out of the rules to speed up the timings.
You still get a "flambe" on the first round of each day for FU . I think it is a sensible idea to be honest it lets the shooter know that their safety is not on and their gun is functioning properly. I actually lost my right to flambe at a round of the worlds... still had the safety on! I have no idea how  but it was... saved a lost first target though  :lol:

John - 

If you look at the side of the top tang under the safety you'll see a small hole that goes thru the frame.  That is for a pin to block engagement of the safety,  A short piece of a paper clip with a soft bend in it will fit snugly enough to not drop out but still be easily removed.  Or you can remove the tab on the safety that disengages the inertial block.   :thumbsu:

That very convenient hole no longer exists in newer Perazzi actions, I used a panel pin cut flush to the width of top tang to prevent my safety catch being inadvertently operated. I learnt the hard way when one of my friends shouldered my gun and unbeknown to me switched the safety on.  The consequence of that was my first target in the second round of the World UT at Poussan back in the 90's was given as a loss because I couldn't fire the gun.  My friend was awfully apologetic when I had words with him afterwards. I also learned a lesson, always check the safety before the start of a round. 

I understand the hole was deleted because American shooters complained they didn't have the facility to use the 'safety' catch and perhaps the thought of any lawsuits that may have followed should an unwanted discharge occur.

not uncommon at other sorts of shotgun comps I've attended over the years.  A practice stand where you could pop a couple targets pre-event would likely be helpful.

just a thot
A lot of events have pool shoots which I use to blow the cobwebs out. I feel happier having let the gun off a few times prior to going in for the competition

I understand the hole was deleted because American shooters complained they didn't have the facility to use the 'safety' catch and perhaps the thought of any lawsuits that may have followed should an unwanted discharge occur.
not unlikely even tho I have never seen the safety blocked on any guns but my own.  No one in the US is responsible for anything they do.  It is always the fault of someone else.  The most litigious country on the planet. 

Back