Repairs.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westley

Can anyone recommend a repairer of electronic ear defenders. I have been sold a pair of used Peltor Sport-tac ear defenders and they are duff. The seller, who at this stage shall remain nameless, is refusing to answer any correspondence, claiming they were alright when he sent them. I have a feeling that the left speaker is not working, but the volume is so low that I am unable to hear speech when I am wearing them. They could turn out to be the most expensive 'Passive' ear defenders that I have ever owned. I am seeing prices like £60 for overhaul and repair, and at that price, I may as well scrap them. I can buy new at £120. At my age I am reluctant to spend £300 on top of range defenders as I do not know how many more years I can carry on shooting. The person that I am dealing with is a 22 years old top shooter who is sponsored by Swatcom, which is why he is selling off his old defenders. He must be poor though, if he needs the money that much  !  

Can anyone recommend a repairer of electronic ear defenders. I have been sold a pair of used Peltor Sport-tac ear defenders and they are duff. The seller, who at this stage shall remain nameless, is refusing to answer any correspondence, claiming they were alright when he sent them. I have a feeling that the left speaker is not working, but the volume is so low that I am unable to hear speech when I am wearing them. They could turn out to be the most expensive 'Passive' ear defenders that I have ever owned. I am seeing prices like £60 for overhaul and repair, and at that price, I may as well scrap them. I can buy new at £120. At my age I am reluctant to spend £300 on top of range defenders as I do not know how many more years I can carry on shooting. The person that I am dealing with is a 22 years old top shooter who is sponsored by Swatcom, which is why he is selling off his old defenders. He must be poor though, if he needs the money that much  !  
I’m not an expert on these things, but with what little experience I have, usually it’s a “dry joint” (solder joint has gone a bit awry) that causes speakers to go quiet as the resistance in the circuit goes up. Should be an easy fix ( I hope) for someone a dab hand at electronics 

Try giving Starkey Headsets a call Westley . Smashing people to deal with , they sell Peltor and they’ll tell you whether the Peltors are repairable . 

If your Peltors are not repairable and you decided to buy another pair I can only say I’ve had several pairs of Peltors over the years theyvhave failed after a drenching . The only cans I’ve had that have not let me down in any condition are these . Super comfortable as well even with specs / shooting specs https://www.starkeyheadsets.co.uk/msa-sordin-supreme-pro-x-black-leather-band-green-cups-75302-x-l-461.html.https://www.starkeyheadsets.co.uk/msa-sordin-supreme-pro-x-black-leather-band-green-cups-75302-x-l-461.html

5 year warranty on these too 

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some electronic repair shops around your area. (Google).  Quotes seem to be around £25 to rewire headsets.  

My vote for Starkey , excellent company , but possibly will cost £60 for a full overhaul but guaranteed after the repair .

Sordin in my opinion are far better than Peltor .

Thanks for all of the advice Guy's it is greatly appreciated. I have a set of Howard Leights that came with a subscription to the Field magazine a few years back. They have been very good so far, but they can start to get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours use. If I am going to have to pay out around £60 for the repair, then it is not financially viable, a new set of the same are £120 delivered. I will have a look at the Sordins, but another option was mentioned to me yesterday. It was suggested that I look at exchanging the Leights ear cups with the available gel variety  at around £30.  Learned of the loss of a good shooting friend today after a 50 year shooting association, so the ear defenders have slipped down the list of priorities a touch for now.

I do appreciate all of your help and will get back to this issue soon. 

Thanks for all of the advice Guy's it is greatly appreciated. I have a set of Howard Leights that came with a subscription to the Field magazine a few years back. They have been very good so far, but they can start to get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours use. If I am going to have to pay out around £60 for the repair, then it is not financially viable, a new set of the same are £120 delivered. I will have a look at the Sordins, but another option was mentioned to me yesterday. It was suggested that I look at exchanging the Leights ear cups with the available gel variety  at around £30.  Learned of the loss of a good shooting friend today after a 50 year shooting association, so the ear defenders have slipped down the list of priorities a touch for now.

Just don’t muck about. Get a set of MSA Sordin with gel inserts. I must have said this 20 times on here. Everything else is worse. They are cheap as chips when you realise you’ll never buy another pair. Can be worn for ages with comfort. Don’t hit the stock. 

That does bring things into perspective ...sad news whenever you lose good mates......

Just don’t muck about. Get a set of MSA Sordin with gel inserts. I must have said this 20 times on here. Everything else is worse. They are cheap as chips when you realise you’ll never buy another pair. Can be worn for ages with comfort. Don’t hit the stock. 
Don't know IF I have ages to wear them though Will  !     🤔

You can get gel pads for the howard leights - not cheap at £25 but they do transform them. Search Amazon.

Back