Which first competition

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

Not sure if I have placed this post correctly, so my apologies if it’s misplaced. 

Id like some advice on what/where I would best make my fist inroads into competitive shooting. 

I’m generally around the East Midlands and Oxfordshire area. Occasionally the northwest. 

Looking for something where I can find my feet. 

Thanks in advance

Lloyd 

CPSA membership first. Then it's as simple as pitching up at a 'registered' shoot and signing on for the competition. Apart from comps with big entries, usually noted on their web or facebook site, you dont need to book for sporting but trap/skeet comps will be squadded so phone ahead first.

Registered comps need refs so no need to have a buddy to button. 

Tell them you're a noob and they will look after you.

Have at least a passing relationship with the rules of the discipline.

Just watch for a few minutes and you'll soon pick up the process.

Keep the chatter down around the stands.

Thank the ref, they are sitting in the cold all day for your pleasure.

Dont sweat it, competitive shooting can actually be very rewarding and is a good way to improve your shooting.

Shoot a variety of grounds if you are shooting sporting disciplines, no good being AAA on the local ground because you know their targets.

The CPSA will give you a classification eventually when you have shot a bunch of targets. In the meantime you will be classified 'on the day' using a formula generally understood by only Gandalf and Merlin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gandalf and Merlin..... love it 

one other thing to mention is a passion, a passion for crispy bacon and ketchup, it’s a sporting shooters staple diet on a Sunday and a mug of strong tea.

Good luck in starting out, remember if you have questions ask, people are willing to talk, and we all were newbies once

Not sure if I have placed this post correctly, so my apologies if it’s misplaced. 

Id like some advice on what/where I would best make my fist inroads into competitive shooting. 

I’m generally around the East Midlands and Oxfordshire area. Occasionally the northwest. 

Looking for something where I can find my feet. 

Thanks in advance

Lloyd 
Zea has written a couple great blog posts to help in this!

https://gungirluk.com/2017/09/27/cpsa-competitions-part-1-im-ready-to-progress-what-is-the-cpsa-why-should-i-join/ 

https://gungirluk.com/2017/10/03/cpsa-competitions-part-2-im-ready-to-shoot-my-first-registered-competition-what-do-i-do/

Latest posts

Back