Stock Cast Adjustment - Nottinghamshire

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesk11

Hi everyone,

Approximately 5 years ago, I had the cast of my Silver Pigeon adjusted to fit me as a left handed shooter. The gentleman who did it was found through another clay shooting forum which I think ceased to exist, was based down in Wiltshire, operated from his home and only charged around £50 for the service. 

Fast forward to present day, my stock has returned to its original casting, so I am looking to have it adjusted again. Sadly I no longer have his contact details, but even if I did, I am now based in Nottingham, so am looking for a similar service locally. The only quote I've had was from Elderkin & Son, and though I've heard good things about their work, the quote was for around £120, potentially +VAT. I'd really appreciate it if someone might have any advice on the matter.

Thanks in advance,

James

Hi James,

Doveridge handle a lot of stock work and are not too far from you:

https://www.doveridgeclaysports.co.uk/our-resident-gun-smith/

Cheers,

Doug
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your message. Interesting, I wasn't sure if they did it in house, or whether they shipped the guns to another gunsmith like they seem to do at most grounds. Have shot there once before, so will inquire with them. Thank you! Since posting, I discovered Greenwood Gunsmiths in Market Drayton who seem to do cracking work. Have also sent them an inquiry! 

James

I would suggest that the £120 for altering the cast (bending) was a reasonable figure really.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your message. Interesting, I wasn't sure if they did it in house, or whether they shipped the guns to another gunsmith like they seem to do at most grounds. Have shot there once before, so will inquire with them. Thank you! Since posting, I discovered Greenwood Gunsmiths in Market Drayton who seem to do cracking work. Have also sent them an inquiry! 

James
BUT, do you really want a 'cracking' job doing, on yer stock  ?      😲

Is it normal for a stock once altered to revert back to it's original shape over time

Is it normal for a stock once altered to revert back to it's original shape over time
Depends on the wood really....better the quality the more likely it will hold the adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 6749

I bought a Westley Richards S x S with a straight hand stock in the 1970's. Although made as a right handed gun, the stock had been altered for a leftie. I had the local gunsmith cast it back to right handed and the back trigger twisted back to right again. The gun came back,  done as requested, and I shot very well with it. Some 12 months later my shooting dropped off a bit and when I checked, the gun had gone back to left handed. Once again the local gunsmith bent it, again some 12 months later, it had gone back again. This time I took it to Westley Richards for the gun to be fitted correctly. They admitted the stocker had one heck of a job with it, leaving it clamped whilst he went on leave. Suffice it to say, I have never shot so well with a gun as I have with that one and to this day, the stock has never moved.

Oh, and it cost some £25 plus return post of £10   !

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon Willmore at Doveridge was recommended to me for an adjustable comb. The work he did was excellent. I have only ever heard good reviews about him, and would not hesitate to recommend him. 

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will try to address a few of these points! Since posting I contacted Simon at Doveridge and Greenwood Gunsmiths. After reading a couple of posts on here about Greenwood's, them getting back to me so quickly and fitting me in to a cancelled slot a week from now, I've decided to book in with them for the work. For reference, they told me the work will cost approximately £85. 

BUT, do you really want a 'cracking' job doing, on yer stock  ?      😲
Now you mention it... 😂 But in all seriousness, have a look at their facebook page, the repairs they do on cracked stocks is pretty incredible!

During my conversation with Greenwood's they told me there are several casting methods, using hot light, hot oil or steam. They use the steaming method which takes place over a number of days where the wood is able to retain moisture and is gradually heated, cast and slowly allowed to cool again. My stock will have been cast before using the hot light method, although the guy told me at the time they send electricity through the wood to heat it, so who knows. Either way, it's a very quick process, the wood is heated quickly, pulled into position, allowed to cool for a few minutes and that's it. I believe using this method, although is quick, is certainly not uncommon for a stock to spring back to its original casting. 

As an amateur woodworker having bent wood on a number of occasions, steam (heat and moisture) is the only way I would go. There is a risk of cracking the wood without the moisture. Wood even after steam bending will try to return to its natural position over time. The steam softens the wood fibres and allows them to stretch and compress. The wood will always be under stress after bending and thus more likely to split, particularly if put under additional load e.g. recoil.

personally I’d invest in restocking or change the gun to a manufactured as left handed 

• Thanks
Reactions: ips
I highly recommend Tim Greenwood -  but he is always super busy.
Tim Greenwood does it. He use the hot oil process and guarantees that it wont revert back. I've had my perazzi modified (pistol grip and refinished) and I can vouch for his work 

Latest posts

Back