New Beretta 694

antse7en

3 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Bought one today in 32”.....it’s jolly nice. 

I had a new 692 when it came out but swapped that for an Invictus which I’ve been very happy with, but I picked up the 694 today and it felt great, plus they gave me a decent part ex on my CG so it was worth a punt  

In terms of ‘feel’ it’s beefier than a 692, fuller stock and comb but not as ‘hefty’ as DT11.

Will get some photos up later as it has a decent piece of wood on it too....looking forward to putting some lead through it. 

Did you buy it without shooting it? 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2019 at 10:33 PM, Iggy said:

Yep, done that before though.....not ideal but once I’d developed a feel for what feels right etc...

Have to let us know how you get on with it mate. 

I shot one today for a play, and for me the feel of the gun was lovely. It was the 32” version with 50 on the stock, a nice height. Palm swell - spot on, forend - massive improvement, stuck the thicker pad on the back and LOP for me was also good. Don’t think the cut outs on the wood for “improved visibility” is a thing, bit of marketing hype that. 

Interesting I took to it because I’m fiercely loyal to my MK38 and don’t take to too many guns off the shelf. Plus I hate the 692! 

Well, didn’t get chance to get out this morning.....wife had something planned that I’d forgotten about....

However I did get chance the give the gun a proper look over and good clean this afternoon, got all the factory slapped on crap off and lubed it nicely.

Its a while since I had my 692 but from memory the 694 just feels a bit heavier all round...the fences seem fractionally thicker and the forend iron is better made....in fact it feels nicely made all round and quite DT11 like....just slimmer overall. There’s a new barrel selector and top lever (all metal not rubber), nice full palm swell and thicker comb.

One major thing is the redesigned ejectors....gone are the switch on and off ‘twisty’ things from the 692, to be replaced with what I can only describe as a cross between the old style Beretta ejectors that you push down and twist to remove and the current CG setup where they are held in place with a small tab/disc about the size of an aspirin. To remove the ejectors you simply push them in and lift the ‘tab’ out with a magnet and the ejector slides out....a much simpler and more elegant solution. 

Looking forward to taking it out sometime this week and will report back later....I’ve added a few photos, and make a note of the weight etc. 

A28426C6-4E26-4503-97A5-06A47ECAB866.jpeg

4DE99F4C-D9C6-4275-86D4-5BFB6AEED369.jpeg

I popped into Ian coleys on Saturday with the intention of buying a new shotgun, I had a 692 as my fist gun and it left me never wanting to pick up another beretta. Whilst there they mentioned that the 694 had just arrived and I did have a look, I was impressed by the feel of the gun and the stock and grip dimensions seem to be greatly improved from what I can remember. It also looks like there has been a fair improvement in quality in the 694, for me it wasn’t the best fit and I had a cg summit ascent in mind and that’s what I walked out with but the beretta did feel like a nice gun.

47 minutes ago, Tom b said:

I popped into Ian coleys on Saturday with the intention of buying a new shotgun, I had a 692 as my fist gun and it left me never wanting to pick up another beretta. Whilst there they mentioned that the 694 had just arrived and I did have a look, I was impressed by the feel of the gun and the stock and grip dimensions seem to be greatly improved from what I can remember. It also looks like there has been a fair improvement in quality in the 694, for me it wasn’t the best fit and I had a cg summit ascent in mind and that’s what I walked out with but the beretta did feel like a nice gun.

I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice

This is actually my second summit ascent, I sold my first as I thought I was upgrading but it was the only gun I regret selling. And I’m happy to say this one feels exactly like the old one.

Much as the 694 looks set to start rebuilding Beretta's image which was so badly dented by the 692 saga, I have to say that IMO a £3-4K Guerini sporter is still better overall than a £3-4K Beretta sporter.

3 minutes ago, Westward said:

Much as the 694 looks set to start rebuilding Beretta's image which was so badly dented by the 692 saga, I have to say that IMO a £3-4K Guerini sporter is still better overall than a £3-4K Beretta sporter.

Bet the Beretta has a better “trade in”value than the Guerini

Just now, jonz said:

Depends which Beretta and which CG. When I bought a CG in 2016, a certain dealer had one they'd sold new in 2011 for £2,400 and were now reselling at about 5 years old for £2,250. If you take out the VAT component it had appreciated in value. Take a 5 year old 692 into a dealer and see what they'll give you as a trade in.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:50 PM, jonz said:

Seems it depends on which Beretta you have, everyone seems to be saying the 694 is Beretta's answer to the problems of some 690's, what's that going to do for resale values.

Perhaps that's why the changed the design so much, to try and distance the 694 from the others, the actions still the same but improved

10 hours ago, ColinD said:

Seems it depends on which Beretta you have, everyone seems to be saying the 694 is Beretta's answer to the problems of some of the 690's, what's that going to do for resale values.

Perhaps that's why the changed the design so much, to try and distance the 694 from the others, the actions still the same but improved

I think you're right. In effect the 694 is a tacit admission that the 692 didn't live up to expectations. If I was Beretta I'd offer an ejector upgrade kit for those 69x series guns with the switchable ejectors. That could well prevent the 692 trade in value from tanking.

1 minute ago, bigrace said:

Sorry to jump in. Seriously considering buying this new 694. I currently own a CG magnus sporting 32".

Any thoughts

Try before you buy is my advice. I like changing things and if the itch is there it probably needs scratching but for all the good feedback on the 694, the Magnus is all the gun most people will ever need.

@Westward , you could be right. The magnus is all the gun I need. Patterns well, copes with recoil well. The only thing I hate is the sharp bit on the forend and have to wear a glove. 

The forend on the 694 is a work of art in my eyes

The Magnus forend style is usually called a schnabel which is German for beak. I don't like them either but most sporters seem to have them as standard, although various CGs have the very comfortable rounded nose style and some have trap forends. They can be swapped at order time or later - for a price of course.

1 hour ago, bigrace said:

@Westward , you could be right. The magnus is all the gun I need. Patterns well, copes with recoil well. The only thing I hate is the sharp bit on the forend and have to wear a glove. 

The forend on the 692 is a work of art in my eyes

I bought a 692 a few months ago, they are available with Beaver tail or Schnabel fore end, mine had the Schnabel (like my Silver Pig that I traded in) I don't know what the difference was because I never had any problems with the Silver Pig but the 692 took the skin off my left index finger, I had to sand a radius on the "beak" which had been left sharp.

There was no switchable ejector on mine.

I bumped into lloyd pattinson on Sunday with a 694 over his shoulder. It was a press gun from gmk. He was preparing to do a round with it for his soon to come review. I had a brief look at it and shouldered it to see how it fit me. It felt well balanced . I would have liked a few shots with it but I couldn't really ask that when he hadn't even shot it himself

On 9/22/2019 at 10:25 PM, Tom b said:

Mate you've bought more guns than any chap I know, any chance this one will still be with you by Christmas?

1 hour ago, GlawsterCodger said:

Mate you've bought more guns than any chap I know, any chance this one will still be with you by Christmas?

I’ll have to mate, got another little one on the way. I’ve lost my way a bit recently with the shooting and have nothing like the form I used to have but I’m trying to make time to get back to some registered shoots and I wasn’t enjoying what I had previously.

21 hours ago, Tom b said:

I’ll have to mate, got another little one on the way. I’ve lost my way a bit recently with the shooting and have nothing like the form I used to have but I’m trying to make time to get back to some registered shoots and I wasn’t enjoying what I had previously.

Lost your way? Mate weve all been to that dark place, good luck with the new gun, hope it puts a smile on face 

Very wet out today so couldn’t shoot again...driving me nuts. Thought I’d upload a few photos 

On the close up of the action you can see the small steel disc that retains the ejectors as I mentioned earlier.

The full Lloyd Pattison review is also up on YouTube now....he seems to like it.

24089C33-1B49-4B9D-8888-3E4D6DC12FEA.jpeg

F7990E31-0E20-4B18-8E1F-0D200425A850.jpeg

88A7E684-CD16-4DF0-A06A-EABADDF3017E.jpeg

E7F20BB5-20D2-4DDC-86A3-E061218B8653.jpeg

C0C53F6F-D616-4561-8961-8948ACDE1638.jpeg

25DFB762-A6FF-4F6A-9DA1-4798BDF61E58.jpeg

I fondled James Bradley-Day's sponsored 694 yesterday before shooting the Kent Compak, very good first impressions, really liked the wider DT10 style lever (something which I've long said should be standard fare OR an option on all guns), barrels are stamped 1580 with the facility of adding weights close to the action behind the fore end, James has added 150g to the stock as he reckoned the gun felt front heavy compared to his old 692, he also said it has less recoil which I believe is down to the overall weight which seemed heavier than my own 682e. 

This particular one wasn't at all low in comb height, for me the negatives include the shape of the fore end as given the choice I'd be happier with a no nonsense Trap version, also didn't think the grip was all that comfortable but then can't remember a Beretta that did feel right in that department. 

Archived