Why

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynno

I reffed the fitasc at Westfield yesterday and witnessed some excellent shooting. High gun yesterday was 90 from Dorian Evans, would have been 91 but for the bouncy rabbit on the valley layout... cue some reaction on the rabbits parentage.......

Anyway, I noticed that the harder targets were taken with ease, yet some of the “sitters” caused one or two problems. My theory is that people think that they are already in the bag and don’t give them any thought, leading to missing with the first barrel and having to fire a second to kill the bird.

Any other theory’s ?

I've long said the only easy bird is the one you hit, there are two broad reasons for "easy" birds being missed, the first as you describe is not taking them seriously enough and omitting the correct set up and mental re-set but I reckon another reason (at least for the close ones) is a practical/ballistic one, quite simply the pattern hasn't had time to open up to its "optimum". 

Makes me laugh when some people think "big" targets are by definition harder than close ones 😏  consistently hitting a crosser at 50 yards where the pattern has opened up to its advantageous best can be much easier (technically) than hitting a slow quartering away rabbit at 15 yards or fast crosser at 20. 

Agree with Hamid entirely. It’s also the case that closer targets can cause FSP issues, being gun down, which can press the shooter for time. 

Agree with Hamid entirely. It’s also the case that closer targets can cause FSP issues, being gun down, which can press the shooter for time. 
Well ,yes and no Will. I’ve seen the easier second bird of a pair being missed after the first had been smashed 

Well ,yes and no Will. I’ve seen the easier second bird of a pair being missed after the first had been smashed 
Sure.

I recall the whole of my squad at Southdown missing a soppy close going away single. It would have been shelling peas gun-up.

Back