Owls Lodge Xmas shoot 27.12.2018

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinj

This was the first time I have done a sporting shoot at Owls Lodge, I have only done Sportrap on this site before.

Before I arrived I was wondering how they could make a sporting layout on the site because, to me, the site looked a bit "clinical," because of the skeet and sportrap layouts, however I needn't have worried, the course was very good and imaginatively laid out, all clays were hittable but some more challenging than others.

We (myself and two partners in crime) walked the course then relaxed in the spacious club house with a coffee for 10 minutes before doing the pool shoot, not with any great hopes of winning cash but just to get the feel of letting the gun off before starting on stand one.

We worked our way west as we were to find out later, into the afternoon sun, we leapfrogged a couple of busy stands and found our way to the high numbered stands, it was busy up here with a great variety of targets including a fiendish pair shot from a platform, heading into a bank with the low winter sun making an interesting stand tougher, dawdle at your peril as the birds will smash into the bank un-shot.

It soon became obvious that stand 10 was a bottleneck with maybe thirty plus people waiting to shoot it so we headed back toward the lodge, shooting the leapfrogged stands as we went. After a coffee, a free mince pie and a comfort break we headed back to stand 10 which still had a queue but not as bad as before, the light was going as the sun was setting below the built up banks, this was OK though as stand 10 targets were a pair of high teal, a standard and a midi which were well illuminated by the late afternoon sun.

Job done, we were in the car at about 4:00pm the verdict was that it had been a great day out and we'll definitely be back, shame they don't do Sunday sporting competitions otherwise we'd be frequent visitors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back