Beretta 690 Black Sporting..?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocky

I’m a new shooter who’s only ever shot a borrowed 28” ATA but when I get a ticket is there any reason I can’t skip the usual beginner guns and go for something more mid range straight off like the 30” 690 Black Sporting I’ve taken a right fancy to?

I’m a new shooter who’s only ever shot a borrowed 28” ATA but when I get a ticket is there any reason I can’t skip the usual beginner guns and go for something more mid range straight off like the 30” 690 Black Sporting I’ve taken a right fancy to?
No reason why not. Depends on your finances etc. The USUAL occurrence for new shooters is that after a year you will fancy a change for reasons real or imagined! Curiosity will be the main reason. So, I would go for a nice gun that fits you, but avoid a brand new one to avoid a big price fall when you sell it.

My advice would be by the gun you want to end up with, you will loose to much cash swapping and changing before ending up with what you wanted in the first place.  Obviously it needs to fit you, but the only people who benefit from you changing guns are your local gun shops.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other rational argument is that if you reckon you will be doing this with an eye on getting better, avoid the “beginners gun” as that likely means something that is too light, or maybe odd, so sold cheaply. Then you will go through the critical early learning phase shooting something that won’t prepare you for the right gun when it comes later. A Browning Cynergy won’t school you well for a Blaser or Perazzi.

All the 690s I've seen have been fairly light in weight, usually well below 8lbs. I believe they can take the B-Fast weight/balance system bits and pieces but even if they do there's added cost. If you're a Beretta fan a good used 692 would seem a better bet than a new 690 and if you wanted to move it on later it wouldn't lose much money.

All the 690s I've seen have been fairly light in weight, usually well below 8lbs. I believe they can take the B-Fast weight/balance system bits and pieces but even if they do there's added cost. If you're a Beretta fan a good used 692 would seem a better bet than a new 690 and if you wanted to move it on later it wouldn't lose much money.
My mate wanted a 690 and got persuaded to buy an ex demo 692. Very happy and his shooting has really taken off (possible coincidence). I thought it handled very nicely.

Thank you for the replies guys!

Yes my theory was by not bothering with a beginner gun I would hopefully save the cost of at least one trade-up and getting used to a different gun, I’d rather just concentrate on the clays and getting at better at breaking them. 

Interesting about the 690/692.. I was only erring towards a new one so it was a known quantity (having no experience I wouldn’t spot issues with a used one) and while my budget isn’t limitless I’m sort of ‘spending to save’ as it were. I have no interest in shooting game and would prefer a sport/clay-focused gun made by one of the main players and liked the look (and reviews) of the mid range Berettas is all, I’ll have a squint at some 962 reviews.. and prices!

Great forum btw! 👍🏻 

I went back and forth between 690 and 692, eventually concluding after using both fairly extensively that 692 was quite a lot nicer to shoot.  Then a used DT11 came up so I bought that...

I’ll have a squint at some 962 reviews.. and prices!
You'll have to squint REALLY hard!!!!!!!!

692 would be my preference out of the two. BUT in the end its the gun that fits the best, is the one you should buy. I have an old (1994) Browning GTi 32" trap gun that just fits me and i shoot that as well as any other i have. Its really tatty, loose when open, but i like it. Its probably the only one i would keep.

Interesting about the 690/692.. I was only erring towards a new one so it was a known quantity (having no experience I wouldn’t spot issues with a used one)👍🏻
I've had 3 Berettas since 2006 and although I've fallen out of love with them, they all held up well and I had no breakdowns at all. They are extremely reliable and by any standards a pretty safe used buy. Any dealer worth buying from would give at least 3 months warranty on something like a 2 or 3 year old 692 so you'd have few worries.

I’ve had a 32” 690 black since spring last year and am very happy with it. Had a Miroku 7000 previously. Great intermediate gun but ultimately found I wanted longer barrels and didn’t like the Teagued mk38 sporter in 32”. My B is now in the 8 3/4 weight range really. Heavy on a game day trudging through clay but perfect for a round of clays!

I put all the b-fast weights in the stock and it’s now better balanced than out of the box and I’ve never shot better. However I’d say 99/100 clays I hit have more to do with getting lessons from the right people. I do shoot consistently better on longer targets than I ever did, but that’s why I went to 32”.

I’d totally agree with second hand 690/692 though. Although you may end up with less choice over the wood quality but you also may get lucky. You certainly are unlikely to be inheriting someone else’s problems like you can with a car and all that really matters is that it fits you. Assuming your mount is consistent enough to judge this accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don't you try somewhere like Ian Coleys that let you try second hand guns before you buy , they may have 690 in stock you can try before you part with any money , they  can also check the gun fits you correctly 

When i first started i bought a brand new 682 only for a gunsmith to tell me a few months later that it was miles away from fitting me correctly because my neck was to long and cheek bones to high , got rid of it loosing 500 quid and then having to spend more money on a gun with an adjustable stock 

Hope that helps 

Why don't you try somewhere like Ian Coleys that let you try second hand guns before you buy , they may have 690 in stock you can try before you part with any money , they  can also check the gun fits you correctly 

When i first started i bought a brand new 682 only for a gunsmith to tell me a few months later that it was miles away from fitting me correctly because my neck was to long and cheek bones to high , got rid of it loosing 500 quid and then having to spend more money on a gun with an adjustable stock 

Hope that helps 
Could you not have just had an adjustable stock fitted?

I’ve had a 32” 690 black since spring last year and am very happy with it. Had a Miroku 7000 previously. Great intermediate gun but ultimately found I wanted longer barrels and didn’t like the Teagued mk38 sporter in 32”. My B is now in the 8 3/4 weight range really. Heavy on a game day trudging through clay but perfect for a round of clays!

I put all the b-fast weights in the stock and it’s now better balanced than out of the box and I’ve never shot better. However I’d say 99/100 clays I hit have more to do with getting lessons from the right people. I do shoot consistently better on longer targets than I ever did, but that’s why I went to 32”.

I’d totally agree with second hand 690/692 though. Although you may end up with less choice over the wood quality but you also may get lucky. You certainly are unlikely to be inheriting someone else’s problems like you can with a car and all that really matters is that it fits you. Assuming your mount is consistent enough to judge this accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope that helps 
Thanks both but now I’ve established autos are welcome (for sporting & skeet at least) I’m erring toward a 400 Xcel black ed as it was an auto I originally wanted. 

My wife did an extensive post about her journey to an A400xcel. Its on here somehere. Page 11 in this section. ( Guns) may be of some use to you. Was way back in 2014/15. 

She now gone back to an o/u since her shoulder improved. ( 32" DT11)

Jasper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife did an extensive post about her journey to an A400xcel. Its on here somehere. Page 11 in this section. ( Guns) may be of some use to you. Was way back in 2014/15. 

She now gone back to an o/u since her shoulder improved. ( 32" DT11)

Jasper. 
Nice one Jasper that was very interesting and much appreciated, thank you!

Latest posts

Back