English Open at AGL

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

First report from a mate who is over half way round the course says it’s “miles too hard”. If so, then a shame, showing AGL inexperience. I think the format is meant to be a decent shoot for all, then the finals event can sort out the real top dogs. Anyway, early days, let’s see..

First report from a mate who is over half way round the course says it’s “miles too hard”. If so, then a shame, showing AGL inexperience. I think the format is meant to be a decent shoot for all, then the finals event can sort out the real top dogs. Anyway, early days, let’s see..
Finals event???? I thought the EO was a first past the post event, maybe wrong. One mans "hard shoot" is another mans "easy shoot", horses for courses and all that. Anyway I will soon find out tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere it was a shoot off Saturday. Following British format in a way ??

The scores from the squad of good shots I know about are all way down on their usual..

Martin, you should have got an email from Cpsa; cut and paste:

The Competition

The competition will be shot across a 120-target course made up of 15 stands. All shooters will start on stand one, working their way round to stand 15. The top six scores (shoot-off for ties) will go through to the Super Final. 

I read somewhere it was a shoot off Saturday. Following British format in a way ??
Shoot off for the title, but for us mere mortals I'm sure its first past the post. Not like the BO qualifying lottery, and finals day.

Martin, you should have got an email from Cpsa; cut and paste:

The Competition

The competition will be shot across a 120-target course made up of 15 stands. All shooters will start on stand one, working their way round to stand 15. The top six scores (shoot-off for ties) will go through to the Super Final. 

The scores from the squad of good shots I know about are all way down on their usual..
Good solid major then Will, bound to upset someone. :cry: :hyper: :cool:

I assume top six scores means top six in each class and category, so that’s a lot of shooters involved. These events will have about 500 B and C class shooters. As ever course setting is balancing for all. Too early to judge this shoot yet, let’s see scores and comments tonight. 

I assume top six scores means top six in each class and category, so that’s a lot of shooters involved. These events will have about 500 B and C class shooters. As ever course setting is balancing for all. Too early to judge this shoot yet, let’s see scores and comments tonight. 
Can't see that happening Will. Last squads going out at 14.15 Saturday, they will have to get a trot on. Don't forget there is no 'Finals day', like there is in the British.  According to the CPSA website it is just a super final with the top 6 scores, no mention of class finals. Shoot off for medals if the shooters are there.

Don't take too much notice - it wouldn't be a clay shoot if no-one was moaning.

I expect I will find it far to easy and miss through boredom

Not exactly skeet  in the woods!  Shot it today and it was a right mixture. The stands out in the open field (5-9 I think) were extremely wind affected so it wasn’t the same for all, and sometimes you didn’t even get a pair the same.  Stand 5 I’m sure it was, was a rabbit then a very low blaze r-l BUT it was so wind affected some blazes were hardly off the ground, I just felt it wasn’t level and the same for everyone shooting.  Incomers that didn’t always come in!! 2 stands cost me where I only had 2/8 on each one, stands 9 and 10 but apart from that shot ok for me.

Free water and apples but not until after stand 9 so make sure to take plenty with you and I felt the trade stands could’ve been better, only 3 there, Pilla and 2 cartridge stands.  Must say the pizza stand was excellent, pizzas done like a wrap, very delicious.

Again the usual not taking shorter people into account.  I was asked by a ref on one of the last stands what we thought of the shoot etc so did voice my opinion regarding not being able to see over hedges but as he said, it’s too late to change things now.

We had a good squad, 4 of us new each other and had Jim and Tom Baker with us so we all ended up having a laugh as we went round but felt there was no atmosphere, so unless you were with friends and if you were having a bit of a doomer then you were stuffed I’m afraid.  

Shoot well everyone!

Not exactly skeet  in the woods!  Shot it today and it was a right mixture. The stands out in the open field (5-9 I think) were extremely wind affected so it wasn’t the same for all, and sometimes you didn’t even get a pair the same.  Stand 5 I’m sure it was, was a rabbit then a very low blaze r-l BUT it was so wind affected some blazes were hardly off the ground, I just felt it wasn’t level and the same for everyone shooting.  Incomers that didn’t always come in!! 2 stands cost me where I only had 2/8 on each one, stands 9 and 10 but apart from that shot ok for me.

Free water and apples but not until after stand 9 so make sure to take plenty with you and I felt the trade stands could’ve been better, only 3 there, Pilla and 2 cartridge stands.  Must say the pizza stand was excellent, pizzas done like a wrap, very delicious.

Again the usual not taking shorter people into account.  I was asked by a ref on one of the last stands what we thought of the shoot etc so did voice my opinion regarding not being able to see over hedges but as he said, it’s too late to change things now.

We had a good squad, 4 of us new each other and had Jim and Tom Baker with us so we all ended up having a laugh as we went round but felt there was no atmosphere, so unless you were with friends and if you were having a bit of a doomer then you were stuffed I’m afraid.  

Shoot well everyone!
Should I wear my stilettos 👠 .  Food is important to me so was it only Pizza available?

Should I wear my stilettos 👠 .  Food is important to me so was it only Pizza available?
Pizza stand outside but in the main building you could get the usual bacon and sausage sandwiches, pies, cakes etc.  You won’t starve! 

Cpsa have put a video of the stands up on fb,and yesterday i nearly comented up perescope if your short or in a wheelchair,the above comments have confirmed my suspicions,if i can see a issue from a 3min video why cant the people who set up these comps.

These videos are so much better when somebody slow-mo's a couple of birds. Apologies if they did later in the video.  I gave up. 

The chap that videos all the shoots from englishsportingclays should have been asked to film the course. His videos always show the targets in a clear way.

The chap that videos all the shoots from englishsportingclays should have been asked to film the course. His videos always show the targets in a clear way.
Agreed.  The music is a bis suspect and the walking backwards shots :)   But yeah, his shots of the targets with the hi def slow mo are spot on. 

Latest posts

Back