First Skeet Shoot!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Pinnegar

Well....I've booked on to the registered Skeet at Cosford this Saturday.

I've shot 75 skeet targets before (over the course of a year!). Any tips for a newbie to the discipline?! 

Well done.  No tips but I'd be interested to hear how you get on.  They do Reg Skeet at Dartford (which is only about an hour for me) and I've been toying with the idea of giving it a go.  

Just remember that if you hit the first target of the doubles at a certain distance from the center stake, at that moment the second one is the same distance from the center stake on the opposite side.

This helps to prevent searching for the second target.

I could type a million things but no point as for a first go at a new discipline only one thing matters...... have fun and enjoy. 

I would say make it known its your first time shooting the discipline (albeit and experienced shot) and do not go first on the squad.... then just play follow the leader to get the sequence etc. 

Cosford is my local (10 mins from home) and David up there throws some excellent targets against one of the best all sky backgrounds on the regular skeet circuit. Mind you that shows with over 90 x 100 straights shot at the club since Feb 2014 when they starting doing registered skeet. 

The registered ESK is new (ish) to the club the last few months, but it has been a hot bed of NSSA skeet shooters for a while. They back in August added a second layout and this means they can throw NSSA and ESK on the same day. Its normally the top layout which holds the ESK with NSSA on the layout right outside the clubhouse. 

The club will be holding the Warwickshire ESK, SKD and OSK county championships in 2018 and has the last 2 years held a satellite version of the NSSA Zone 8 Championship which also takes place in Canada, Australia and New Zealand before combining the scores. I assume they will do so again in 2018. 

Forgive the club its "oddities" such as the club house door having a latch on it for the dogs - its all about those targets. 

Just remember that if you hit the first target of the doubles at a certain distance from the center stake, at that moment the second one is the same distance from the center stake on the opposite side.

This helps to prevent searching for the second target.
That’s a great tip, thank you! 

I could type a million things but no point as for a first go at a new discipline only one thing matters...... have fun and enjoy. 

I would say make it known its your first time shooting the discipline (albeit and experienced shot) and do not go first on the squad.... then just play follow the leader to get the sequence etc. 

Cosford is my local (10 mins from home) and David up there throws some excellent targets against one of the best all sky backgrounds on the regular skeet circuit. Mind you that shows with over 90 x 100 straights shot at the club since Feb 2014 when they starting doing registered skeet. 

The registered ESK is new (ish) to the club the last few months, but it has been a hot bed of NSSA skeet shooters for a while. They back in August added a second layout and this means they can throw NSSA and ESK on the same day. Its normally the top layout which holds the ESK with NSSA on the layout right outside the clubhouse. 

The club will be holding the Warwickshire ESK, SKD and OSK county championships in 2018 and has the last 2 years held a satellite version of the NSSA Zone 8 Championship which also takes place in Canada, Australia and New Zealand before combining the scores. I assume they will do so again in 2018. 

Forgive the club its "oddities" such as the club house door having a latch on it for the dogs - its all about those targets. 
Great info. I’ll make sure to look out for the door latch! 

I guess I do have one question. Is there a break between rounds? Or do you shoot 100 straight through? 

I guess I do have one question. Is there a break between rounds? Or do you shoot 100 straight through? 

Straight through all on one layout. Take all your ammo + a few spares and put it on the table by the high house. Then as you walk from 7 to 1 you grab the next box and be ready to go again.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Straight through all on one layout. Take all your ammo + a few spares and put it on the table by the high house. Then as you walk from 7 to 1 you grab the next box and be ready to go again.

Let us know how you get on.
That's helpful to know, thank you.

I'll be sure to report back....I just hope its positive!

I survived! I was really pleased with my first attempt as I managed to finish on 95/100

• 22/25
  • 25/25
  • 24/25
  • 24/25
Pretty sure that's nowhere near enough to be winning anything but it was enjoyable; the best bit was no waiting between stands like at sporting!

Going to make sure I do this with a bit more regularity. The fact that they hold Saturday registered shoots at Cosford means I will be visiting again. Thank you for all the pointers, it made the trip run smoother. 

I shot a practice 25 this morning.  21, missed the pair in the middle.  I'm not sure if it would become addictive or boring if I did it more often.

I shot a practice 25 this morning.  21, missed the pair in the middle.  I'm not sure if it would become addictive or boring if I did it more often.
That's an interesting point. It would certainly become quite a mental battle when you're trying to put in 100 straights.

I've accidentally booked on to a few more registered shoots. Quite good fun and certainly helps with the steady and considered gun movements.

Apologies for the delayed reply been away on holiday.

Glad you enjoyed and a nice start. Nice to hear you will  be shooting a bit more registered skeet.

May well pop up myself next weekend now i am back. 

Back